1of4

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

The same question was asked on HIGNFY (without the live audience it sounds awful - I'd even consider putting fake laughter in the show as it just feels flat without any reaction) - Paul Merton asked Ian if he'd finished colouring them all in.

Promise I didn’t see HIGNFY, stopped watching that years ago, it just struck me this morning as I was watching the umpteenth person being interviewed in front of one, I was beginning to think it was the law.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

I can't see how the government cannot start to reopen large parts of the economy by the end of May in some shape or form regardless of the impact on health. 

The country's economy will be in ruins after that and there will be a real problem with money and credit available for the government to keep going. 

I almost feel the same but I'm sure (relatively) that the Treasury has done it's sums and the size of the National debt will be eye watering. It's certain to take a long time for the economy to recover. Well before my time but I guess it did after the two world wars.

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I can't see how the government cannot start to reopen large parts of the economy by the end of May in some shape or form regardless of the impact on health. 

The country's economy will be in ruins after that and there will be a real problem with money and credit available for the government to keep going. 

Your money or your life. Which is more important?

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Your money or your life. Which is more important?

But if the choice was: a 50% chance you lose your job and have to sell your house OR a 1 in 10, 000 chance you die from the disease. 

Not saying those are the odds, just that every decision is based on probability. I drive in my car.. and I also speed, I eat junk food and processed meat, I sit in the sunshine too long, I smoke, I drink too much, I cut corners at work, I am less than honest filling in my tax returns, I cycle without a helmet, I miss health check ups, ...whatever. Everyone makes calculated decisions. 

There will come a time when the scales tip the other way and the potential risks are outweighed by the need to avoid other issues. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I almost feel the same but I'm sure (relatively) that the Treasury has done it's sums and the size of the National debt will be eye watering. It's certain to take a long time for the economy to recover. Well before my time but I guess it did after the two world wars.

Britain pays off final instalment of USA/Canada loan - after 61 years from WW2 on Friday 29th 2006, The Treasury will transfer £43m to the US and £12m to Canada.

The original loan of $4.34bn - equivalent to £27bn today - was made to avert Britain from bankruptcy at the end of the war rather than to finance the combat itself.

22 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just as a complete aside but one of the companies I work with today received there grants from their local council.

Fair play to the Government, they have managed to turn that round in 14 days of the business closing.

Just had mine confirmed an hour ago! 👊👊👊

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

If it was me, I'd be more than happy to display some of my oil paintings.  Such as this one...imageproxy.php?img=&key=0b3e19078af877d7imageproxy.php?img=&key=0b3e19078af877d7imageproxy.php?img=&key=0b3e19078af877d7imageproxy.php?img=&key=0b3e19078af877d7imageproxy.php?img=&key=0b3e19078af877d7

ssa.png

This is exactly how my ole stepdad broke his ankle

Picture that if you will

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jet2 holidays have announced that they start flying again on 17th June.

A friend who works for Haven Holidays has been told to report back to work for the half term week at the end of May.

How do these businesses know the lockdown will be lifted by then?

They don't - forward planning though?

Boris' letter arrived today.  Can't say I'm that impressed.  "Stay at home, and get as much decorating done as possible before the restrictions end", or words to that effect.
Admittedly I didn't read it myself, as I was busy decorating, but Muckerette kindly read it out to me, bless her!

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I know we shouldn’t be looking at any single day in isolation but, I think today’s number of deaths is higher than any single day seen in either Italy or Spain.

Terrible stats today - I think we get an artificial dip at the weekend.

truly awful numbers. I can’t yet see any dip associated with lockdown

The MOD are creating refrigerated storage facilities in Derbyshire for obvious purposes. 

50 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Terrible stats today - I think we get an artificial dip at the weekend.

truly awful numbers. I can’t yet see any dip associated with lockdown

Let’s hope people stay in this bank holiday weekend or things may increase even more.

I’m having a bbq on the back garden for me and Mrs Gritters because it’s her birthday. She’s really lucky because I would have been at West Brom.