Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Was hoping after a suitable quarantine period I'd be able to see the GF. Got a text last night and as it turns out she was admitted to hospital last night having contracted this ducking virus despite having spent the last 2 weeks + indoors.

If I read another ducking post about how it's time to end lockdowns I think I might actually lose the plot. Just stop it.

1st para:
Gutted for you bro.  Truly sickening.  Sincerely hope all goes well.  Keep us informed, if you're up to it.

2nd para:  Stay strong, buddy.  Ignore the comments that rile you... or at the very least, tut very loudly to yourself, and move on... without responding.
I've found this approach gets easier to do, as each day passes, and each such post appears.
It's clear by the way you responded that you're almost there (as it wasn't a direct response to any particular poster).  Just a tad more self-restraint will work wonders for you... and right now, you need all your strength and passion directing elsewhere!

All the best.

45 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

They're working with a bunch of labs to deliver just that.

AstraZeneca, GSK, Roche, and some others. Mainly UK based.......I'll avoid saying taking back control.....?

Have any countries got a reliable antibody test. It’s good that we have the capability to do it.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I am only saying taking little pleasures off people.

Full enforced lock down in NZ

On Thursday, the country reported 29 new confirmed and probable cases, bringing New Zealand's total to 1,239 -- including only one death. Of those cases, only 14 are in hospital 

Boris is out of intensive care, and back on a normal ward.

I'm delighted that he is out of danger, and I really hope that he looks upon his experience as a 'lesson learned'. This disease is a ruthless killer.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

8000 dead (reported) and 65000 positive tests. 

If you test positive, your chances of not surviving currently stand at over 12%.

Over here we're at about 10%. Obviously those figures are distorted by positives who haven't been tested.

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If you test positive, your chances of not surviving currently stand at over 12%.

Yesterday they explained that dead numbers is probably a lot higher and we will only find out once crisis is over. The reported count vs the correct count from ONS (office of national statistic) could be as much 70% lower than it actually is.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Depends.

It could be worse than that as some of those 65000 will still be in hospital and therefore may not survive.

If your test result is positive and you have to be hospitalised then I think, broadly speaking, the % is right. However, there are other factors which mean it’s not 12% for everyone. If you’re relatively young and don’t have any serious pre-existing conditions, but still need to be hospitalised, then I would have thought you have a much better chance of pulling through.

Also, as they start to test more people, starting with NHS staff, more will have a positive result but their condition may not be serious enough  to be hospitalised and so the rate will improve.

That’s my theory anyway

i just found out that my mother has become ill with flu like symptoms.  She has been in a day program at a rest home, which was kept going even as the pandemic was raging.  To not show up would have meant she would have lost her spot, her foot in the door.  My sister has poor health, has a pacemaker, she has been going with my mother shopping a couple of times lately.  A doctor will visit mother later tonight.  i am worried sick.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Depends.

It could be worse than that as some of those 65000 will still be in hospital and therefore may not survive.

If your test result is positive and you have to be hospitalised then I think, broadly speaking, the % is right. However, there are other factors which mean it’s not 12% for everyone. If you’re relatively young and don’t have any serious pre-existing conditions, but still need to be hospitalised, then I would have thought you have a much better chance of pulling through.

Also, as they start to test more people, starting with NHS staff, more will have a positive result but their condition may not be serious enough  to be hospitalised and so the rate will improve.

That’s my theory anyway

Oh, it's definitely only a very small part of the picture. But at the moment we've tested 65000 people and 12.2% of them died. I know we aren't testing enough people, and we're not capturing all the people who have died - but currently, if you test positive, thems your odds. 

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Yesterday they explained that dead numbers is probably a lot higher and we will only find out once crisis is over. The reported count vs the correct count from ONS (office of national statistic) could be as much 70% lower than it actually is.

I wonder how they will find out after the crisis is over though. Cause of death is registered at the time of death not several weeks later so, I don’t see how they’re going to find a load more cases. I know deaths outside of hospitals are not included but I’ve seen somewhere (BBC website I think) that none hospital deaths account for something like 10% of total Coronavirus deaths. So, whilst tragic, that doesn’t account for the figure of 70%. Surely the ONS can only get their figures from reported cases. They’re not going to put “cause of death Coronavirus” on the death certificate  then tell the ONS but not report it are they?

I can’t get my head around it. Maybe someone can help explain.

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Oh, it's definitely only a very small part of the picture. But at the moment we've tested 65000 people and 12.2% of them died. I know we aren't testing enough people, and we're not capturing all the people who have died - but currently, if you test positive, thems your odds. 

We’ve tested 300000 of which 65000 have been positive.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you’re misusing “average”. Those aren’t necessarily your odds. As we both agree, there are many variables. I’m 60 and have no serious pre-existing conditions (other than mild asthma) so my odds are probably slightly (very slightly) better than 87.8%. My son in law is 29 with no pre-existing medical conditions so his odds are much better. My mum is 87 with a heart condition so her odds are significantly worse. You just can’t use the overall average to generalise. 

52 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think you’re misusing “average”. Those aren’t necessarily your odds. As we both agree, there are many variables. I’m 60 and have no serious pre-existing conditions (other than mild asthma) so my odds are probably slightly (very slightly) better than 87.8%. My son in law is 29 with no pre-existing medical conditions so his odds are much better. My mum is 87 with a heart condition so her odds are significantly worse. You just can’t use the overall average to generalise. 

I'm not claiming those figures are representative of anything. Just a stark fact, mostly influenced by the people currently being tested not being representative of the general population. 

Archived