1of4

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just as a complete aside but one of the companies I work with today received there grants from their local council.

Which council is that?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

All becoming a bit repetitive now isnt it?

Why not give some other people a go at questions. 

Maybe even open it up to the NHS or general public to submit questions.

So, basically you are saying bring back Corbyn right?!

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Come on though, be sensible. You’d expect the prime minister, regardless of which party he/she leads to be treated with a little more of a priority the rest of us mere mortals. 

Sensible? Pfffft. Not saying you aren't right - I do expect that, but it disappoints me. If he's sick enough to warrant being in ICU then he should be in ICU and getting the best care possible. If he's in ICU because he's the PM and anyone else in the same position wouldn't be anywhere near ICU then we suck as a society. Every human life should be valued the same

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

To be honest though, if you're able to work from home (you could almost say, consider yourself lucky) many workers actual costs will go down if they don't need to commute. Yes, you might use a bit more electricity to power your laptop but this would hardly be measurable and heating and lighting costs shouldn't really be that significant now. 

So, whilst some may genuinely have increased costs I would say to the others, think very carefully if it's morally the right thing to do to claim this sum. 

My son and daughter in law are having to work from home and I would be very disappointed in them if they claimed allowance this given they now don't need to drive to the station and catch the train into Birmingham every day. 

I’m saving about £100 a month in diesel.

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Sensible? Pfffft. Not saying you aren't right - I do expect that, but it disappoints me. If he's sick enough to warrant being in ICU then he should be in ICU and getting the best care possible. If he's in ICU because he's the PM and anyone else in the same position wouldn't be anywhere near ICU then we suck as a society. Every human life should be valued the same

Some interesting stats here on the PMs chances of survival - assuming what we're being told isn't just a version of the truth;

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-do-the-figures-tell-us-about-boris-johnsons-chances-of-a-full-recovery-11970172

The average age of admission to critical care is 60.

There are more men in critical care in their 50s than in their 70s.

That's not to say that the disease is more fatal for people in this age range, as, sadly, many older sufferers may not even make it to the ICU - but it does send a crucial public health message to this group.

Patients who don't go on a ventilator in the first 24 hours in an ICU survive 83% of the time.

Those who are put on a ventilator in that period have a much lower survival rate - just 32%.

Of the 690 patients whose outcome in an ICU is known, almost all received support for their heart, and 143 received what ICNARC calls "advanced cardiovascular support".

Further stats and info in the link, some of it is a bit grim.  My suggestion to everyone is to stay in indoors and stay out of ICU!

54 minutes ago, jono said:

I have to say this does irritate me. They don’t ask for data, and clear fact

not “how is the PM doing, is he talking, reading and reasonably able or is he behind a mask and sleeping. ... No, they ask why isn’t someone else doing his job ? Have you got it wrong and should someone be doing his job. ? Like .. go on admit it your about to rooster up. ... I mean seriously do we want a Govt in this sort of crisis that would actually give questions like that credence.

Gotcha questions insult listeners, viewers and readers ... Ask a fair question then let your audience decide the truth from the quality of response. ... there is a line of “news” reporting that isn’t about delivering fact .. it’s about shaping an event artificially to fit an editorial view .. that isn’t news, that’s political comment. Reporters need to distinguish between the two but some fail miserably 

So you're basically saying Peston and Kuenssberg are a pair of useless, gobshite Bamfords?

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely a drop in cases allied with a supposed increase in testing should be an extremely positive sign?

I know they have to be careful but surely now is the time to start giving individuals and businesses a glimmer of hope?

Just as a complete aside but one of the companies I work with today received there grants from their local council.

Fair play to the Government, they have managed to turn that round in 14 days of the business closing.

Not quite sure where they keep getting these studies from tbh - we've gone from a projected 250k deaths to 20k deaths, from not enough beds to plenty of beds.  

This new study puts us back at 65k+ deaths and woefully short on beds/ICU (100k+).  Fortunately there will probably be another along tomorrow saying something completely different.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To prove your point, I calculated my expected electricity costs to go up by 30p a day based on my setup (high kWh usage but very low rates). Living 8 miles away it normally costs just under £1.50 a day in fuel to get to and from work. A tidy little £1.20 a day (or £6 a week) better off

You can also claim for home working with HMRC. 

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

To be honest though, if you're able to work from home (you could almost say, consider yourself lucky) many workers actual costs will go down if they don't need to commute. Yes, you might use a bit more electricity to power your laptop but this would hardly be measurable and heating and lighting costs shouldn't really be that significant now. 

So, whilst some may genuinely have increased costs I would say to the others, think very carefully if it's morally the right thing to do to claim this sum. 

My son and daughter in law are having to work from home and I would be very disappointed in them if they claimed allowance this given they now don't need to drive to the station and catch the train into Birmingham every day. 

Must admit I didn't know this, but I get what you mean, the extra i pay on electric etc i save more than in fuel and more important I guess the value of my time.

I guess it depends where you draw the line on morals.

My example would be if i claim it, do i need to? probably not and to be honest dont know if i could be bothered. But someone i know who is self employed, when his work stopped and it looked like there was no money from the govt he made an application to be a delivery driver, however as soon as the govt announced the 80% of profits his view was 'nah bin that off i'll take the govt money'.

So if i do claim, morally for £6 a week compared with the sum the govt will pay out to my friend.....

Now, i guess of course there is the argument that staying at home is safer and of course it is but i know this wasnt the driving decision behind the decision to take the govt money.....

Not saying you are wrong btw, just giving an example, and im sure there are many more like this, so i guess im not going to think too bad if someone claims £24 a month when others who could perhaps find an alternative are claiming thousands.

I am also not saying this is the typical approach by s/e people but i am sure he is not the only person with the same approach to this. He may well be right btw, his view that millions of others are getting paid to stay at home why shouldnt he....

58 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You can also claim for home working with HMRC. 

Same applies though. Whilst you may be able to claim, should you if your costs have not gone up and, for many, may actually have gone down?

Not only are we talking about the financial impact on the treasury (OK, only a tiny amount compared to everything else that is going on) but also the administrative cost. 

In my mind, unless you’re actually doing something extra (for example, I believe that if you’re  furloughed you can work for someone other than your normal employer provided it’s not during your normal working hours) no one should be looking to financially benefit from this crisis.

If you normally work 9-5 Monday to Friday but, because you’ve been furloughed you’ve decided to get a weekend or evening job at Tesco’s then, good for you, you deserve the extra income. Similarly, if you’re having to work from home but decide you could do with some extra cash and also pick up some hours at the supermarket again, that’s good. 

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Same applies though. Whilst you may be able to claim, should you if your costs have not gone up and, for many, may actually have gone down?

Not only are we talking about the financial impact on the treasury (OK, only a tiny amount compared to everything else that is going on) but also the administrative cost. 

In my mind, unless you’re actually doing something extra (for example, I believe that if you’re  furloughed you can work for someone other than your normal employer provided it’s not during your normal working hours) no one should be looking to financially benefit from this crisis.

If you normally work 9-5 Monday to Friday but, because you’ve been furloughed you’ve decided to get a weekend or evening job at Tesco’s then, good for you, you deserve the extra income. Similarly, if you’re having to work from home but decide you could do with some extra cash and also pick up some hours at the supermarket again, that’s good. 

Agreed, individual judgement call. 

I'm furloughed as from Sunday, only wish I was getting 80% of my salary. It's a lot, lot less than that. 

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agreed, individual judgement call. 

I'm furloughed as from Sunday, only wish I was getting 80% of my salary. It's a lot, lot less than that. 

Where do you work?

The decision on Furloughing our staff will be taken tomorrow.

It probably won't include me but the company is going to top-up to 100%, so I sort of wish it did. At least then I wouldn't feel guilty about knocking off at 4.30 to have a game of Mario Kart with Miss Wolfie before I start making the dinner.

10 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

So you're basically saying Peston and Kuenssberg are a pair of useless, gobshite Bamfords?

Not at all, I am saying that the public would rather know how the national leader is doing in terms of health and ability, rather than their (the journos) musings and speculations on the thought processes of those further down the chain of command. The musings seem to only want to discover if there is a war within govt and pounce on it. As news journalists I just want them to provide information. 

Jet2 holidays have announced that they start flying again on 17th June.

A friend who works for Haven Holidays has been told to report back to work for the half term week at the end of May.

How do these businesses know the lockdown will be lifted by then?

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Not at all, I am saying that the public would rather know how the national leader is doing in terms of health and ability, rather than their (the journos) musings and speculations on the thought processes of those further down the chain of command. The musings seem to only want to discover if there is a war within govt and pounce on it. As news journalists I just want them to provide information. 

Kuenssberg and Peston seem to vie to ask the most contentious questions, they are both incredibly tedious, and why are they always asked first. Sky seem to approach it more based on facts rather than speculation.

If you like irony: Watch the brief, then rather than the questions, switch over to BBC 2 and watch Pointless. You may learn something useful.

7 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Kuenssberg and Peston seem to vie to ask the most contentious questions, they are both incredibly tedious, and why are they always asked first. Sky seem to approach it more based on facts rather than speculation.

If you like irony: Watch the brief, then rather than the questions, switch over to BBC 2 and watch Pointless. You may learn something useful.

Quite right. Which is why I don't watch the briefing and just catch up with the headlines on the BBC News app.

Just get fed up of them all asking for dates & some certainty, when we all know that can't be done at the moment.

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jet2 holidays have announced that they start flying again on 17th June.

A friend who works for Haven Holidays has been told to report back to work for the half term week at the end of May.

How do these businesses know the lockdown will be lifted by then?

I would assume the directors will be in very close communications with the government and the models are predicting this will have settled down by then. I know our CEO has a conference call with the government every Friday.

What isn’t predictable is other countries handling of It.