1of4

Coronavirus

The mixed messages, worry, confusion and fear in our factory is unreal. On one hand we have senior management demanding normal production targets are met while 15% of the workforce are self isolating or off for 12 weeks  (classed at risk due to age or illness).

Also, office and non-production management are working from home while production line people are finding it impossible to keep a 2 metre distance.

Agency and temps are coming in to cover the absence, making it even more difficult to manage the situation. HR are working from home but demanding we contact everyone who's off to put pressure on them in case they're swinging the lead.

It seems very trivial compared to the conditions that NHS staff and carers are working in but its still mentally draining on shift.

Our owners are trying their best to make extra money out of it, not quite up to Sports Direct standard but having a good go.

1 minute ago, Archied said:

There’s a lot of us trying to make sense of all this mate ,personally I seem to swing from being really worried one minute to feeling the government’s and scientist s have got it wrong all we will all be back to work next week ,, 

Agreed - don't feel bad for musing out loud in here. I think we need this sort of platform for our own sanity. Hopefully you'll feel differently tomorrow @G STAR RAM. I always appreciate reading your input, even when I 100% disagree :)

On 31/03/2020 at 14:54, RamNut said:

99% of the public seem to be exercising common sense. Trouble is where do you draw the line? At some point I’d quite like to drive 40 miles to visit my 93 year old mum to check she’s ok. Is that essential? She has family near by so she is looked after but she is still lonely. Will some PC be able to decide that it isn’t essential and dish out a fine?

Probably. 

Go for it. I'm more or less in the exact same position as you and I'm off to see her tomorrow. Taking her some shopping, she's letting me in back gate, sit in garden 2m or more apart no physical contact, give her someone to talk to face to face, do her more good than harm. Just got to be sensible and balance things up. Go and see her mate.

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The mixed messages, worry, confusion and fear in our factory is unreal. On one hand we have senior management demanding normal production targets are met while 15% of the workforce are self isolating or off for 12 weeks  (classed at risk due to age or illness).

Also, office and non-production management are working from home while production line people are finding it impossible to keep a 2 metre distance.

Agency and temps are coming in to cover the absence, making it even more difficult to manage the situation. HR are working from home but demanding we contact everyone who's off to put pressure on them in case they're swinging the lead.

It seems very trivial compared to the conditions that NHS staff and carers are working in but its still mentally draining on shift.

Our owners are trying their best to make extra money out of it, not quite up to Sports Direct standard but having a good go.

Just shut it down for four weeks. What’s the worst outcome? a shortage of biscuits for a few weeks? The alternative could be a corporate manslaughter charge. I can hear the radio adverts now. “Did your employer force you to work during the Coronavirus crisis? If so you could be entitled to compensation.....”

52 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Go for it. I'm more or less in the exact same position as you and I'm off to see her tomorrow. Taking her some shopping, she's letting me in back gate, sit in garden 2m or more apart no physical contact, give her someone to talk to face to face, do her more good than harm. Just got to be sensible and balance things up. Go and see her mate.

I'm lucky that me mum only lives a mile away. I can drop off her groceries and stuff while doing me own shop. It breaks me heart to talk to her through the window as she's still grieving losing me dad before Christmas after 60 years of marriage, and I know she needs a hug.

Lots of people in far worse positions though.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just shut it down for four weeks. What’s the worst outcome? a shortage of biscuits for a few weeks? The alternative could be a corporate manslaughter charge. I can hear the radio adverts now. “Did your employer force you to work during the Coronavirus crisis? If so you could be entitled to compensation.....”

There are such things as key workers. How would the hospitals or food producers even homes carry on with no water electricity or drainage? People have to carry on. They are giving a service to the people of this country it’s not just the NHS that are out there. Some services need to be kept running because if not the consequences could be far worse.

Edited by Van Gritters

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine how I feel trying to do financial projections right now...head ready to explode!

Likewise, 

Moving numbers every week. What we were expecting 2 weeks ago are a million miles away from reality now. 

42 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm lucky that me mum only lives a mile away. I can drop off her groceries and stuff while doing me own shop. It breaks me heart to talk to her through the window as she's still grieving losing me dad before Christmas after 60 years of marriage, and I know she needs a hug.

Lots of people in far worse positions though.

I 'd love to give my mam a hug  mate but better safe than sorry and most important thing is just seeing her and having a chat and being with her. Get in the garden with her, bit of social distancing, Bob's ya uncle. That's what I'm doing. She can make me a bacon sandwhich, gonna FaceTime wife and kids. It's not ideal but she's cool with it, it's all we can do and it'll hopefully be back to relative normality in a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

I 'd love to give my mam a hug  mate but better safe than sorry and most important thing is just seeing her and having a chat and being with her. Get in the garden with her, bit of social distancing, Bob's ya uncle. That's what I'm doing. She can make me a bacon sandwhich, gonna FaceTime wife and kids. It's not ideal but she's cool with it, it's all we can do and it'll hopefully be back to relative normality in a few weeks.

Yep, thats what were doing

9 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

'Maybe its just a bit of gentle fear mongering to keep everyone inside over the Easter break?  Keeping the majority of people indoors for an entire month will really help limit the spread I guess.'

Think its going to be a bit more than a month-Family in Aus have been told on TV by their PM these measures will be in place till at least october unless a virus is produced

Yep, we’ve been told these measures will be in place for at least 6 months. At the moment we are testing 1 in 100 of the population,  with a death rate of .08 per million (30 overall). I believe Germany are doing better at 1 in 90. In contrast the great orange one is talking up the USA as the best but in reality they are testing 1 in 254.

30 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Moving numbers every week. What we were expecting 2 weeks ago are a million miles away from reality now. 

Just get a Lucky Dip, takes away such pressures

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Wow. Maybe the sort of brave statement other world leaders should be making to prepare us unless, he prefers to under promise and over deliver. I'm assuming restrictions in Australia are similar to ours.

Only essential travel. One good thing, we seem to have the right people telling it exactly as it is. Expecting stage 3 restrictions to go to stage 4 and restrictions in place for at least 6 months.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Imagine how I feel trying to do financial projections right now...head ready to explode!

I presume this is one of your wind ups where you can show your intellectual prowess against ordinary people.

Imagine how people feel trying to do next meal projections right now...

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

There are such things as key workers. How would the hospitals or food producers even homes carry on with no water electricity or drainage? People have to carry on. They are giving a service to the people of this country it’s not just the NHS that are out there. Some services need to be kept running because if not the consequences could be far worse.

Some do. And maybe people will have more respect now for public services.

but I’m not sure that without ppe and testing kits it’s essential to keep everything going. 

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I presume this is one of your wind ups where you can show your intellectual prowess against ordinary people.

Imagine how people feel trying to do next meal projections right now...

You've completely lost me there I am afraid.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You've completely lost me there I am afraid.

He's having a pop at you for no reason other than he dislikes most of your opinions.