Coronavirus

1of4

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I also was in a Chinese takeaway before this coronavirus outbreak and a guy walked in and shouted hey you at the chap behind the counter to which he replied how did you know my name 

Unfortunately I heard they had to lay him off because they had no wok. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Anyone who thinks the Government have handled this well would be well advised to read this Twitter thread - I do recognise it is written by what we used to call a 'Remainer' back when things like that felt a little more important. But it isn't anything other than the outlining of government policy and exposes clearly the way in which they have mishandled this to shameful proportions.

Two major weaknesses with your argument:

1) A Twitter feed

2) The Daily Mail

I don’t think either are particularly noted for their balanced, well researched reporting.

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I also was in a Chinese takeaway before this coronavirus outbreak and a guy walked in and shouted hey you at the chap behind the counter to which he replied how did you know my name 

I had a chinese take away delivered last night. I walked out to the gate to meet him and he started to shout "Isolate, Isolate" at me! I said "calm down pal, I only ordered it 30 minutes ago"

I haven’t read any xenophobic articles in the Mail or elsewhere, but.....

This is now the second time that a highly infectious respiratory disease has originated in China as a result of their treatment of wild animals used for food or traditional hocus pocus medicine. The SARS virus spread to humans via civets which are used in the preparation of a particular soup which also contains snake and chicken and - surprise surprise - is believed to increase libido. There is apparently also a civet paste which is rubbed on women’s bellies.

this time it seems as though pangolins were the intermediaries - an endangered animal used for food and traditional medicine. 

dried scales are roasted, ashed, cooked in oil, butter, vinegar, boy's urine, or roasted with earth or oyster-shells, to cure a variety of ills. Amongst these are excessive nervousness and hysterical crying in children, women possessed by devils and ogres, malarial fever and deafness.

Surely the disgusting conditions in their ‘wet’ markets and this medieval cultural stupidity needs to be tackled. It’s no longer a local problem. They have affected the health of the whole world and continue to practice customs which affect endangered species.

The outbreak of the 2003 SARS virus was reported to the World Health Organisation not by China, but by Canada who discovered the outbreak by monitoring internet traffic. this time China seems to have learned a few lessons and responded more appropriately but there needs to be education and direct action to address this cause. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I haven’t read any xenophobic articles in the Mail or elsewhere, but.....

This is now the second time that a highly infectious respiratory disease has originated in China as a result of their treatment of wild animals used for food or traditional hocus pocus medicine. The SARS virus spread to humans via civets which are used in the preparation of a particular soup which also contains snake and chicken and - surprise surprise - is believed to increase libido. There is apparently also a civet paste which is rubbed on women’s bellies.

this time it seems as though pangolins were the intermediaries - an endangered animal used for food and traditional medicine. 

Surely the disgusting conditions in their ‘wet’ markets and this medieval cultural stupidity needs to be tackled. It’s no longer a local problem. They have affected the health of the whole world and continue to practice customs which affect endangered species.

The outbreak of the 2003 SARS virus was reported to the World Health Organisation not by China, but by Canada who discovered the outbreak by monitoring internet traffic. this time China seems to have learned a few lessons and responded more appropriately but there needs to be education and direct action to address this cause. 

Unless you are advocating a full vegetarian diet, I don't think this is fair. A virus could have started in poultry, pigs or any other animal. 

If it originated in pigs, would you say Muslims would have a point in blaming pork eaters? I don't. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Unless you are advocating a full vegetarian diet, I don't think this is fair. A virus could have started in poultry, pigs or any other animal. 

If it originated in pigs, would you say Muslims would have a point in blaming pork eaters? I don't. 

It's not quite the same thing, but go ahead with your thinking! 

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Typical I only ordered 1000 pces.  Gonna  have to order a 2000 pces now. Oh the pressure. 

Upon first sight of things escalating I tried to get ahead of the curve and deliver an immediate coup de grace... Out of stock. Oh the shame!

Educa Borrás – Around the World, 42,000 Pieces, 17570

by Educa

4.1 out of 5 stars    31 ratings

Currently unavailable.

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think its more to do with their wet markets than anything else.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/23/appetite-for-warm-meat-drives-risk-of-disease-in-hong-kong-and-china

Maybe they should wash everything in chlorine

Interesting article, slightly ironic that the Chinese seem to prefer freshly killed meat, however in most take-aways in the UK the meat is mostly inedible water-filled rubbery processed gunk ? 

7 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

my wife who isnt normally a worrier has gone into panic mode today , the news from spain has sent her over the edge , how is it so bad in spain and italy with their lockdowns and will it get as bad over here

Well we're trying to keep it down to 20k deaths and we're at approx 1200 at the moment so, yup its gonna get worse.  The government is hinting heavily at a lengthy increasingly strict lockdown (June). 

On the brightside, if you are young, relatively healthy and follow the guidelines 20k people out of 60+ million is a tiny number.  Hide yourself away, try not to watch to much news and the chances are it will pass you by. 

Archived