Coronavirus

1of4

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But then Needlesh would still want to be allowed to drive around and visit places not local whenever they wanted! There are others involved in his choice of ignoring Gov advice, not just him.

35 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

There were plenty of dick heads wanting to take their exercise in Matlock Bath but a police road block has put a stop to that but I bet the police could be better used elsewhere.

I'm not advocating for turning up at a tourist attraction and milling about with hundreds of others.

I'm saying that if it's a choice between my local park (small) or a couple of hours driving for a loop round the footpaths and fields of Hartington, the latter is the less risky option.

The business about breakdowns and petrol stations is marginal, in comparison to the everyday life which is still going on. I've just had a pizza delivered, I went to the Supermarket on Thursday, and I'll be at work next week....but it's a problem to pay for petrol contactless? 

I think it's being done because you can't legislate for idiots, fine, but it doesn't make logical sense outside of that.

I will comply nonetheless, as I said this morning and as I have with every measure the govt has announced.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Needlesh said:

I'm not advocating for turning up at a tourist attraction and milling about with hundreds of others.

I'm saying that if it's a choice between my local park (small) or a couple of hours driving for a loop round the footpaths and fields of Hartington, the latter is the less risky option.

The business about breakdowns and petrol stations is marginal, in comparison to the everyday life which is still going on. I've just had a pizza delivered, I went to the Supermarket on Thursday, and I'll be at work next week....but it's a problem to pay for petrol contactless? 

I think it's being done because you can't legislate for idiots, fine, but it doesn't make logical sense outside of that.

I will comply nonetheless, as I said this morning and as I have with every measure the govt has announced.

Exactly - you can't legislate for idiots and there's enough of them around to absolutely minimise the risk by staying put.

30 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I've been shopping at Aldi since their 1st one opened in Uttoxeter new road Derby.

Their produce imo is better than the brand names out there, Far cheaper and as good if not better in taste, Aldi and Lidl have taken a greater market share this last few years, So much so that the bigger super markets who thought they were of little competition are now playing the pied piper flute to intice the shopper back with price cutting.

Shopped there on Friday so were many many others, Plenty of stock on the shelves but large queues at the checkouts, As a foot note, Their Ginger Biscuits are great and at 25p a packet I buy 4 at a time ☺️

Your Aldi Ginger biscuits are made 20 miles down the road in Utch. ?

Looking at the table of confirmed cases I think the USA have tested the most. Italy seem to have a high fatality rate but they may not be testing everyone. The interesting one will be the antibody test and how wide spread that will be to give an idea of how many it has infected.

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Jaffa cakes?

New controls in place tonight, Rich, travelling to work s no longer allowed unless in certain roles.  That’s me locked in now but tbh no real change just takes away flexibility.  Can’t understand tabacconist exception?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

New controls in place tonight, Rich, travelling to work s no longer allowed unless in certain roles.  That’s me locked in now but tbh no real change just takes away flexibility.  Can’t understand tabacconist exception?

I imagine that has been brought in today? I haven't seen the news at all today.

8 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I imagine that has been brought in today? I haven't seen the news at all today.

Very recent, things are falling to pieces here they can’t really tighten it much further but some of the exceptions are hilarious, dry cleaners.  Love the tabacconist exclusion when damaging your lungs by smoking is a major reason for the virus to lock on.  Death in spanish males is greater than80 %.  If we get through this we may have a National duty to perform

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Very recent, things are falling to pieces here they can’t really tighten it much further but some of the exceptions are hilarious, dry cleaners.  Love the tabacconist exclusion when damaging your lungs by smoking is a major reason for the virus to lock on.  Death in spanish males is greater than80 %.  If we get through this we may have a National duty to perform

Yes, I was amazed when they announced that tabacconists were allowed to open. And as for dry cleaners.........

A friend has told me today that a friend of his died yesterday. Same age as me and presumably with no underlying problems. I don't know if he smoked though.

My son lives in Singapore, they had an extreme lockdown early doors because of the proximity to China. It worked, very few fatalities but its all kicked off again because theres no immunity and restrictions were lifted to allow trade.

You can have it again, its dependent on your immunity system how resilient you are to it. Many have mild symptoms the second time but it can be fatal very quickly for some.

It was common knowledge in December, some governments started to provide PPE to doctors and nurses back then but we decided not to prepare for the worst.

47 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

My son lives in Singapore, they had an extreme lockdown early doors because of the proximity to China. It worked, very few fatalities but its all kicked off again because theres no immunity and restrictions were lifted to allow trade.

You can have it again, its dependent on your immunity system how resilient you are to it. Many have mild symptoms the second time but it can be fatal very quickly for some.

It was common knowledge in December, some governments started to provide PPE to doctors and nurses back then but we decided not to prepare for the worst.

Confirms the worst fears then, there is no herd immunity.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Is it proven you can have it again or just a theory? I read earlier that its not yet been proven and could just be down to testing errors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52006988

9 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Confirms the worst fears then, there is no herd immunity.

I’m no scientist but doesn’t @uttoxram75 post say they locked down very quickly and avoided too many deaths (and presumably too many cases. A lockdown won’t stop you dying if you catch it although fewer cases means more chance of getting on a ventilator) and therefore prevented herd immunity from occurring. Hence, when they eased restrictions it all kicked off again possibly because fewer actually caught it first time around. Just a theory.

I think people are being remarkably compliant. 

We knew exactly what was coming. 

We were told to carry on pretty much as normal. Until Friday teatime my kids were in school with literally hundreds of other kids, I was in work and so was their Mum...all very close to dozens of other people. 

But that evening I wasn't seemingly allowed to go out for a drink lest I catch this deadly disease (I didn't). By Monday - even though I had to be in work and my kids were in school as they had nowhere else to go - we aren't allowed to meet friends, go in the car anywhere, go out more than once a day etc.

The hypocrisy and rule changing is mind-boggling to me. I will be in work again tomorrow and mixing with a variety of different people, but if I want to go for a walk with my best mate, I could be fined. Everyone all seems to have happily swallowed the logic of this and anyone questioning it gets shot down. I have read quite a few articles that question the tactics and logic but generally people seem remarkably happy to just do as they are told. Myself included...but  I feel some of the outrage when someone like @Needlesh questions anything, borders on the hysterical. 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

As an example, I am not a medical expert but there are interesting points made here (if I have the link correct) that just seem to not be open for debate. I haven't got the time, inclination or ability to really defend or focus on its ultimate validity...but it feels like any voices of restraint or opposition are just being swept away nationally by a tide of apocalyptic rhetoric with no giving of the opposing view. 

Archived