Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't be. They're all in their cars currently driving to the Peak District and Skegness to undertake their allocated one form of daily exercise.

Nah, It's trousers down infront of the computer and playing with a part other beers can not reach...the Bankers.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You're dead right - they'll all be from one of the bigger mainstream distilleries without the name/premium attached. Whisky bloggers could probably pinpoint which ones (but I can't). I've had bottles from both Aldi and Lidl before that were very good.  The Lidl Bourbon "Western gold" is also very nice.

Less of the "dead" if you don't mind.

42 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

No mate but there was a time in the 60's, 70's and 80's when I used to think it should be the capital of England .Certainly for the night life .

Night life, you’ve lost me what’s that? ?

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

In this hour of need, the single malt from Aldi and Lidl at less than £20 a bottle is decent. No doubt some will turn their nose up at the prospect but, it suits me and I don’t feel so guilty about having a triple measure.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You're dead right - they'll all be from one of the bigger mainstream distilleries without the name/premium attached. Whisky bloggers could probably pinpoint which ones (but I can't). I've had bottles from both Aldi and Lidl before that were very good.  The Lidl Bourbon "Western gold" is also very nice.

Aldi's modus operandi is to take the market leader brand and ask another manufacturer if they can match it at a fraction of the price. Often we pay for the brand, so Aldi can get something very similar made for far less and take a smaller profit margin.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Aldi's modus operandi is to take the market leader brand and ask another manufacturer if they can match it at a fraction of the price. Often we pay for the brand, so Aldi can get something very similar made for far less and take a smaller profit margin.

Their baked beans aren’t as nice a Heinz.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Their baked beans aren’t as nice a Heinz.

Branston make the best beans..

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I have been to Calle Abbey many many times. I’m pretty sure there is only one way in. Have you ever been there on a busy day? Yes, there are large grounds but, there are usually plenty of people milling around the car park area.

One way in, one way out by car, but masses of car parking and loads of ways onto the ground on foot.

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

Aren’t you guys subject to essential travel rules?

Yes. Again though, for the purpose of travelling to a wide open space, where's the harm in me getting in my car? I could drive all day, pay for petrol contactless and put no-one at any more risk than if I stay at home. Add in that I've got to go to supermarkets and work anyway, and it doesn't make a jot of sense.

Went out to get some food last night and when I came back the house about 75 yards away from ours was having a part. They had a bouncy castle erected and kids packing it out. Literally less than 24-hours after a lockdown had gone into action.

This is so unlike me, I'm very live and let live, but I called The Police.

Not that it worked very well because I got a voicemail telling me the office was closed until 8 am on Monday and to call 911 if it was an emergency.

I guess I shall just have to glare at my neighbors and let them deal with those consequences.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Went out to get some food last night and when I came back the house about 75 yards away from ours was having a part. They had a bouncy castle erected and kids packing it out. Literally less than 24-hours after a lockdown had gone into action.

This is so unlike me, I'm very live and let live, but I called The Police.

Not that it worked very well because I got a voicemail telling me the office was closed until 8 am on Monday and to call 911 if it was an emergency.

I guess I shall just have to glare at my neighbors and let them deal with those consequences.

You could send your neighbours a message in a bottle saying don’t stand so close to me.

14 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well she's a keeper then mate ? 

A friend who is a barman (the yoof call them mixologists these days ?) and who worked at a tiny cocktail bar in Jericho, Oxford that was in the Times Worldwide Top 20 got me into fine liquor. Aside from being a really talented barman, he was something of a connoisseur of fine spirits and introduced me to posh rum, mezcal and single malts. I pitched him on a partnership whereby I'd put up the cash and he could use his judgement and contacts to procure bottles that would yield a return after 5 to 10 years. There are booze vaults, believe it or not, where you can rent rackspace for your collection which are temperature controlled and free of harsh light and other harmful elements. Over 5 years we've bought an average of around one or two bottles a month, some of which have already more than doubled in value!! Turns out posh booze is a great investment as well as a very suitable remedy for Coronavirus isolation fever. 

Anyway, enough of my waffling. Enjoy your time off mate. After 41 years solid, you're certainly entitled to.

If you can make money at it, good luck. But for me, Whisky is for drinking.

When my father inlaw died 26 years ago, we helped clear the house and my brother in law passed me a bottle of 25 year old Glenfiddich and said his dad had kept it for a special occassion and had kept it in a cupboard for about 15 years! I said it wouldn't see another year and was true to my word.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Sometimes, it’s not just very similar, it’s actually the same but with a different label on. Someone I know used to work at a biscuit factory and, at a certain time, whilst the biscuits were the same, the boxes they went into changed. It still amazes me how many people will pay a premium just for the name on the label.

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

and where are you going to dump the rubbish from said shed? Bloody tips closed......

Don't even go there!!

I'm gonna dump it Out of sight, out of mind... Down the side of the house until the bloody tip re-opens!  We only go down the side of the house on bin day!

To be fair, it was more of tidy up/reorganisation needed, so there's little rubbish (2 large plastic containers, a metal frame thing to support new plants, and a bag full of old/cracked plastic plant pots.  Oh, and 2 bags of general garden waste/weeds/cut-offs etc) Will all fit in a normal sized car boot for one trip... when we can!   ?

50 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sometimes, it’s not just very similar, it’s actually the same but with a different label on. Someone I know used to work at a biscuit factory and, at a certain time, whilst the biscuits were the same, the boxes they went into changed. It still amazes me how many people will pay a premium just for the name on the label.

....I work at Fox's Biscuits in Uttoxeter ?

Archived