Coronavirus

1of4

10 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Calke Abbey, for one, oodles of parking in big fields, around the lanes around the park too. Multiple entry points. 

Any other with one car park...just halve the capacity and stagger the cars, park one bay, miss one bay. Everyone's 2m apart even if they turn up at once. In any event, what's the difference with that and a supermarket or work car park? It's open air, no hard surfaces to transfer virus on...there's no problem whatsoever, and it'd do us all a world of good to get outside. 

Again though, whatever perceived drawbacks, how can they possibly be worse than a tiny crowded estate park for a walk?

I have been to Calle Abbey many many times. I’m pretty sure there is only one way in. Have you ever been there on a busy day? Yes, there are large grounds but, there are usually plenty of people milling around the car park area.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

It is a very testing time right now, but something has happened this week which makes me realise that when life throws you a curveball its bad enough but imagine that when it happens in the middle of something like this.

A woman I work with with a young family has this week found out her husband has been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer of the bladder. I just can't imagine how terrified they must be having to deal with that along with the worry of sourcing food, not being able to see other close family members who will be also terrified by the diagnosis, and also the worry if the urgently needed treatment will happen as quickly as it should and also the risks of being in hospital at this time.

All this and trying to work from home too.

I am sure these sort of things are happening up and down the country with lots of people, these things dont stop for Coronavirus, families will be going through hell not being able to see loved ones and support them. 

Lets hope and pray this is over sooner rather than later....

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

A nice whisky for the £50  ball park to check out are the blends from Compass Box. Not generally available in supermarkets though.

Highland Park 12, Jonnie walker green label, Glenfiddich 15 (the one in the red box) and glenmorange 10 I can personally recommend. I like a Laphroaig, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

In this hour of need, the single malt from Aldi and Lidl at less than £20 a bottle is decent. No doubt some will turn their nose up at the prospect but, it suits me and I don’t feel so guilty about having a triple measure.

And some good news... for us, anyway...

Out in the garden/sorting shed out yesterday....
One missed call from little sis (calls 5 times a year!) then another from nephew (her son), who's number wasn't even recognised, but a follow-up text showed who it was... "Call me when you get chance".  You don't get vibes (good or bad) from a text!

I can't deny, I was worried... but... Turns out Nephew (or rather his partner) is expecting.  Little sis is so overjoyed (to put it mildly!) at the thought of becoming a gran.  Muckerette was in tears because... well, just because, I guess!

Not all perfect, as Nephew and his lovely partner were spending a few days at each other's parents houses when the call came to lock down, so their shared flat in Liverpool is lain empty, and their time is currently being spent apart, unable to celebrate properly, but hey, good news is still good news!

Long way to go, of course.  Initial Due date is October, so it could even fall on the same nephews birthday... or a few days later on the birthday of another sister of ours (his aunt), who we sadly lost just before Christmas.  "One out, one in", as they say! 

Now... I really must finish clearing that bloody shed...

12 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Calke Abbey, for one, oodles of parking in big fields, around the lanes around the park too. Multiple entry points. 

Any other with one car park...just halve the capacity and stagger the cars, park one bay, miss one bay. Everyone's 2m apart even if they turn up at once. In any event, what's the difference with that and a supermarket or work car park? It's open air, no hard surfaces to transfer virus on...there's no problem whatsoever, and it'd do us all a world of good to get outside. 

Again though, whatever perceived drawbacks, how can they possibly be worse than a tiny crowded estate park for a walk?

Aren’t you guys subject to essential travel rules?

42 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Aren’t you guys subject to essential travel rules?

Yes we are but unfortunately some people (not any members on here) are using their discretion over what they think is essential travel or not. 

Hence why people are driving their car 20 miles to go and take their daily form of prescribed exercise. 

18 minutes ago, richinspain said:

They don't know how good they've got it (restrictions obviously, not the virus).

Yeh I know.  Our problem was made worse by the Madrid contingent that immediately left Madrid when they heard about the lockdown

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes we are but unfortunately some people (not any members on here) are using their discretion over what they think is essential travel or not. 

Hence why people are driving their car 20 miles to go and take their daily form of prescribed exercise. 

Are they just immune to the appeals of nhs staff or feel they are better than normal people?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Are they just immune to the appeals of nhs staff or feel they are better than normal people?

I think it's a combination of a lot of things. Thinking rules don't apply to them. Thinking that they are immune and the coronavirus won't affect them. Having no empathy for their fellow human beings (this is also shared in hoarding behaviour). Not thinking whatsoever about the consequences of their actions or being unable to consider the consequences. 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It is a very testing time right now, but something has happened this week which makes me realise that when life throws you a curveball its bad enough but imagine that when it happens in the middle of something like this.

A woman I work with with a young family has this week found out her husband has been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer of the bladder. I just can't imagine how terrified they must be having to deal with that along with the worry of sourcing food, not being able to see other close family members who will be also terrified by the diagnosis, and also the worry if the urgently needed treatment will happen as quickly as it should and also the risks of being in hospital at this time.

All this and trying to work from home too.

I am sure these sort of things are happening up and down the country with lots of people, these things dont stop for Coronavirus, families will be going through hell not being able to see loved ones and support them. 

Lets hope and pray this is over sooner rather than later....

Excellent post. My brother-in-law was this week told he is stage 4 (6 months?). My wife is obviously distraught that she can't see him.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

In this hour of need, the single malt from Aldi and Lidl at less than £20 a bottle is decent. No doubt some will turn their nose up at the prospect but, it suits me and I don’t feel so guilty about having a triple measure.

You're dead right - they'll all be from one of the bigger mainstream distilleries without the name/premium attached. Whisky bloggers could probably pinpoint which ones (but I can't). I've had bottles from both Aldi and Lidl before that were very good.  The Lidl Bourbon "Western gold" is also very nice.

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Excellent post. My brother-in-law was this week told he is stage 4 (6 months?). My wife is obviously distraught that she can't see him.

Really sorry to hear that....I hope she can get to see him soon.

31 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

On the News this morning they put up webcam images from capital/ major  cities all over the world . Some completely deserted a few with the odd person around except one ,no prizes for guessing correctly.

Nottingham?

Archived