1of4

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's nothing. I socially distanced myself from DCFCFans for 5 months.

Also, I'm really sorry about giving you (in particular) a hard time.

Welcome back.

P.s. i thought you were dead. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's nothing. I socially distanced myself from DCFCFans for 5 months.

Also, I'm really sorry about giving you (in particular) a hard time.

Good to see you back @Eddie, hope you're well. Now, quick get over to the how old are you thread, I need the average pushing up!

3 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

All Costco’s will open an hour early from tomorrow for NHS staff,9am Monday-Friday.

8.30 on a Saturday.

It would be nice if this - and not only Costco - could be extended to all nurses and carers, not only those employed by the NHS. There are tens of thousands looking after elderly and young people in the care sector deserving of our support as well as those in the NHS. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Slainte. I'm living for the day when I can have one of these again in the same place...

20190324_145010.jpg

Need a starters list from you. The only Belgian beers I've tried are the pub ones. Leffe and Hoegaarden White I think, both of which I really liked, especially the latter. Will order some in to help ease myself through the next couple of weeks of boredom. If you could recommend an outlet too I'd be obliged.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

It would be nice if this - and not only Costco - could be extended to all nurses and carers, not only those employed by the NHS. There are tens of thousands looking after elderly and young people in the care sector deserving of our support as well as those in the NHS. 

Spot on Ilkley. I'd not even considered them but you are, of course, absolutely right 👍

2 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

It would be it isn’t possible simply because of the distancing issue and human nature.

I’ve been opening the doors nearly every morning since this started and the are dozens of worthy causes every morning.

If you try and make exceptions for one person a minority kick off,you can’t win.

Most people get what they need,everyone gets treated with respect and looked after.

It’s a lot more difficult than people think.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You might have but there are plenty who are taking the piss and risking others (and there own) lives. To lots social distancing is just a hashtag! I bet nearly everyone of us can tell a tale of people out and about gathering in groups ignoring Gov advice.

Took our dog out for a walk this afternoon Roy - went through the local outdoor leisure centre, which although "closed" is still accessible as there are public footpaths and public woodland adjacent to it.

Kids everywhere over the skateboard  park and the BMX track. Who's letting them out? Who's monitoring.....not an adult in sight!

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Need a starters list from you. The only Belgian beers I've tried are the pub ones. Leffe and Hoegaarden White I think, both of which I really liked, especially the latter. Will order some in to help ease myself through the next couple of weeks of boredom. If you could recommend an outlet too I'd be obliged.

A good place to start is 'Beers of Europe'. I was at their warehouse before the clampdown (they are located in Kings Lynn) - it is the largest beer shop in the UK and they carry over 5000 different beers. OK, try these for starters, bearing in mind the fact that you have already tried a witbier (Hoegaarden) and a blond (Leffe):

Starting with the few Belgian beers which are (normally) available at Tesco:

• Duvel - this is the beer that actually started me on this journey of discovery, around 25 years ago. It is a very crisp, very pale blond beer which is on sale at Tesco, usually £2 a bottle but which is sometimes on offer at 4 for £6. It's about 8.5%, so on the strong side.
  • Duvel Tripel Hop - the same beer but which is dry-hopped with Citra - a little bit of a grapefruit edge to it, same strength, eminently quaffable. Brewed by Moortgat, every year they do a Tripel Hop with a different third hop. The common one is Citra - they also, some years, do one dry-hopped with Cascade. On sale at Tesco for £2.50.
  • Delirium Blond - brewed by Huyghe, this is a masterpiece. The bottle is white with little pink elephants on it. Same sort of strength as Duvel, it is slightly sweeter (similar in that way to Leffe) and is simply splendid. Again, around £2.50 a bottle.
  • St Feuillien Saison - this is my current go-to Tesco beer, currently on offer at 4 for £6 (although the offer might be suspended at the moment) - a light, refreshing, summery beer which is just made for sunny days. Not strong by any means (around 6.5%), this is, in my opinion, the best Belgian beer on sale at Tesco. Simply wonderful. Saisons are traditional 'farmhouse-style' beers, quite earthy in smell - they were brewed for the workers in the fields and the style is enjoying a renaissance. Just checked - it is now on offer at 3 for £5 because supermarkets are currently restricting multiple purchases.
  • St Louis Premium Gueuze - this is a very nice 'sour' beer. Gueuze is another traditional Belgian style in which no normal brewers yeast is added to the wort - instead, fermentation is spontaneous (it employs atmospheric yeasts in the same way that traditional ciders do) - this is also called 'Lambic' after the region near Brussels called Lembeek. Very much an acquired taste this style - some of them are ferociously sour, but the St Louis is quite friendly in that respect. Currently on sale at £3 a bottle (but it's a slightly larger bottle at 37.5 cl).
  • Westmalle Dubbel - the only Trappist beer that Tesco sell. It's a dark beer, similar in colour to a brown ale, but there the comparison ends. It is utterly world-class - if dark beers are your thing, of course. Not very strong (around 7%), it has a mouthfeel which is really silky.
  • Bacchus Kriek - a fruit beer which starts life as a Lambic beer which is then re-fermented over a mash of Morello Cherries. I think this is about £2.50 for a 37.5 cl bottle, and again, it's a wonderful summery beer.

Blond beers are, er, blond. Dubbels tend to be dark, Tripels are usually pale/blond and Quads or Quadrupels are usually dark. Many Belgian beers use sugars as well as malt in the fermentation process to raise the alcohol content.

Now for a few beers which you won't normally find in the shops in the UK, but Beers Of Europe usually have in stock (no reviews this time - I would prefer you to make your own mind up - just a description of the style, which is often obvious from the name of the beer)

• Westmalle Tripel - Tripels are usually between 9 and 12%, and blond in colour - very full-bodied.
  • Orval - A somewhat tart(ish) Trappist blond beer - the only beer this monastery produce.
  • Le Fort Tripel - I first tried this at the Ostend beer festival last year and it instantly became a favourite
  • Waterloo Tripel Blond
  • Tongerlo Prior - a Tripel
  • Boon Gueuze - compare this to the St Louis Premium Gueuze - the difference between 'nice' and 'utterly effing world class'
  • Barbar - a blond honey beer
  • Brugse Zot Dubbel
  • Straffe Hendrik Wild - a tripel, but one which is 'soured' a little during secondary fermentation
  • Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel
  • Kapittel Watou Dubbel
  • Gulden Draak (golden dragon - the emblem of Ghent) - there are about 4 variations of this. They also do an Imperial Stout and a Brewmaster edition, barrel-aged.

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

No delivery charges when ordering over £50 worth of beer.

Also, @sage has a pretty broad knowledge on the subject.

Edited by Eddie

Went into work expecting to be furloughed, only to be told when the firm tried to do it were informed we were on a critical suppliers list and should remain open if at all possible.

Haven't heard anything about such a list existing, and seeing as the firm itself wanted to shut can't see it being BS from the management.

One bloke has taken the decision for himself and left, although he will be furloughed.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just had a text from "NHS-No Reply (Doctors surgery)...

"We have seen an increase in the number of telephone calls asking the practice for employment advice and whether you should attend work during this COVID-19 crisis. We can not give advice regarding you and your employment. Please refer to the NHS 111 website. You are preventing patients accessing the GP" 

The above is reproduced merely for reference only.  I have absolutely no inclination to comment... at all... whatsoever... nope...   

... Stupid Bamfords!

I'm a lucky man apart from medicals for jobs I haven't been to the doctors for 40 odd years ,For the past 2 years they have emailed ,texted and phoned me to check this, check that, poo on a stick etc etc .

In the past week I have had numerous text messages telling me not to darken their doorstep ,I wish they'd make their mind up.

12 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thanks @Eddie will print that out. That's the next month or two taken care of, right there! 

Belgian beers enjoy being drunk out of their own glasses, but nobody really can keep up with the number available (I'm always buying new glasses because I collect them). A sound rule of thumb is to drink blonds, dubbels, tripels and quads out of a chalice or goblet glass ( the smell of the beer is part of the enjoyment). On the other hand, sour/lambic/gueuze beers (and saisons for that matter) are best enjoyed in a narrower glass (think champagne flute or a schooner).

Most Belgian beers are bottle-fermented, and have yeast in the bottom. It's your choice whether to drink the yeast as well - if you pour carefully, you can leave most of the yeast in the bottom of the bottle if you want to drink the beer 'clean'. There are people (like me) who enjoy the yeast as well - I think it enhances the flavour. Here's a useful trick - why not pour half the bottle carefully, drink that then give the bottle a swirl to suspend the yeast, then drink the yeastier second half. That way, you can determine which you prefer next time. To swirl, or not to swirl - that is the question.

Also, Blonds and Tripels (and Saisons) are best enjoyed cold - around 6-8 degrees is perfect. Dubbels and Quads should be a little warmer - around 12-14 degrees.

Prost.