Jump to content
1of4

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

People aren’t getting it are they?

 

This is where I think the police are being silly.  There are 8 cars parked up there on a warm sunny day. Maximum of 40 people, more likely to be somewhere around 25. Could be 8 people and 10 dogs.

Let's assume that those people are being sensible rather than stupid - controversial I know, but there you go - each car has contained people from the same household, so no problem of spreading any virus in the vehicle any different to within the house; they probably haven't all arrived at the same time so they've had plenty of time to disperse over a wide area in the fresh air. No problem there. Whenever they've come across/met people from outside their household group they've maintained at least a 6 foot gap. No problem there. They've travelled back together in their enclosed car to their home at the end of a walk/jog feeling better about themselves ready to work again. Mental health improved. 

If we're allowed out then let us do so sensibly in wide open spaces keeping our distance. If we're not allowed out then lock us all in but make sure that all the services we need are available for home delivery. Police the stupid ones who can't keep in household groups or 6 feet apart.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

This is where I think the police are being silly.  There are 8 cars parked up there on a warm sunny day. Maximum of 40 people, more likely to be somewhere around 25. Could be 8 people and 10 dogs.

Let's assume that those people are being sensible rather than stupid - controversial I know, but there you go - each car has contained people from the same household, so no problem of spreading any virus in the vehicle any different to within the house; they probably haven't all arrived at the same time so they've had plenty of time to disperse over a wide area in the fresh air. No problem there. Whenever they've come across/met people from outside their household group they've maintained at least a 6 foot gap. No problem there. They've travelled back together in their enclosed car to their home at the end of a walk/jog feeling better about themselves ready to work again. Mental health improved. 

If we're allowed out then let us do so sensibly in wide open spaces keeping our distance. If we're not allowed out then lock us all in but make sure that all the services we need are available for home delivery. Police the stupid ones who can't keep in household groups or 6 feet apart.

I think the issue is the word essential.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8152853/Peak-District-farmer-punched-15-times-telling-walker-home-amid-coronavirus-lockdown.html

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve been out for a couple of long bike rides into the countryside.

It was quiet out there yesterday. Not a lot of traffic. A few walkers. Some impressive potholes that will probably kill someone.

bar a total lockdown I think that’s as good as it will get. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

That link also references Halfords...

Many NHS staff are apparently buying bikes to avoid public transport.
For those that do feel the need to get out and exercise, cycling is better than walking/jogging/outside gyms etc, as it's much easier to maintain that social distance.
Essential workers travelling by private car will still need to keep that car in tip-top condition and legal... bulbs, oil and tyres immediately spring to mind, but of course, much more.

I'm all for Halfords and their ilk to remain open, so long as they look after their staff, and said staff are happy/prepared to carry on.  I think many were too quick to jump on the bandwagon and slag them off for staying open.

Sports Direct was a piss-take though!

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That link also references Halfords...

Many NHS staff are apparently buying bikes to avoid public transport.
For those that do feel the need to get out and exercise, cycling is better than walking/jogging/outside gyms etc, as it's much easier to maintain that social distance.
Essential workers travelling by private car will still need to keep that car in tip-top condition and legal... bulbs, oil and tyres immediately spring to mind, but of course, much more.

I'm all for Halfords and their ilk to remain open, so long as they look after their staff, and said staff are happy/prepared to carry on.  I think many were too quick to jump on the bandwagon and slag them off for staying open.

Sports Direct was a piss-take though!

Generally people aren’t daft and when this is over they will remember the people that looked out for them and the wider public.

They will also remember the 💩houses and treat them accordingly.

A few companies are bringing in bonus schemes,it would be nice for the government to reward all the public servants who have worked through this a little bit as well.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

This is where I think the police are being silly.  There are 8 cars parked up there on a warm sunny day. Maximum of 40 people, more likely to be somewhere around 25. Could be 8 people and 10 dogs.

Let's assume that those people are being sensible rather than stupid - controversial I know, but there you go - each car has contained people from the same household, so no problem of spreading any virus in the vehicle any different to within the house; they probably haven't all arrived at the same time so they've had plenty of time to disperse over a wide area in the fresh air. No problem there. Whenever they've come across/met people from outside their household group they've maintained at least a 6 foot gap. No problem there. They've travelled back together in their enclosed car to their home at the end of a walk/jog feeling better about themselves ready to work again. Mental health improved. 

If we're allowed out then let us do so sensibly in wide open spaces keeping our distance. If we're not allowed out then lock us all in but make sure that all the services we need are available for home delivery. Police the stupid ones who can't keep in household groups or 6 feet apart.

 

I can't deny, we (me & Muckerette) attempted very similar to your description, just last Sunday.  Moneyash/Limestone Way/Lathkill.
It seemed a good idea at the time, and indeed, it was nigh on perfect for the first hour or so.  Open fields.  3 other couples sighted doing the same, but all in the distance.  But by the time we got down to the riverside pathway(s), we never walked more than a hundred yards or so before passing someone.  The paths had narrowed.  A good number of them gave no thought to standing to one side to allow "social passing".  One family literally sat at the side of the path, feet touching the 2ft wide path, sat eating their picnic.  If I was wearing flares, they'd have brushed their sausage rolls!

I've also since read about the fact/opinion that the car journey alone, to reach such places, is of course at risk of putting a strain on the NHS/Emergency services.  The slightest bump will require police time.  Anything more could require the need for an ambulance and/or hospitalisation.  I never thought of that at the time!

Of course, we were also tempted with the "allowed to cycle" announcement, (We regularly do a 20-30 mile ride on a nice sunny Sunday, either by setting off in the car first, or direct from home) but the same risks are involved, and besides, Muckerette is now really reluctant to go out at all, so allowed or not, it ain't now gonna happen for a good while yet!

Think before you go out folks.  Are you going because you are allowed, or because you need to!

 

We now have no intention, nor indeed inclination, of leaving the house/garden until we absolutely need to.  I suspect that will be c. 2 more weeks, for food/essentials.  I'll go alone.  4 mins each way in the car.  Hopefully there will be enough available to allow another 2-3 week stint at home, if needed.

Currently tarting up the garden, as best we can.  There's a bit of basic decorating/DIY to do, and even a little "proper work".  We have an exercise bike... which may even go outside in the sun, once the garden is tidied up!  Currently doing 10 miles each, each evening.  Once the chores are done, (another week or so?) we may up it slightly.

I think with what we have planned in the garden and bedroom, we have more than enough exercise planned to keep us ticking over.

 

 

 

 

...Oh... I meant spare bedroom... That's where we keep the exercise bike!  😉 

Share this post


Link to post

Take your point about emergency services being diverted in the event of an accident @Mucker1884 but maybe, given the huge decrease on road traffic that there’s been,  that the incidence of serious RTAs has also fallen dramatically too. 

I don’t have a bike nor an exercise bike. Buying one after 40 years without one doesn’t feel to be essential. Walking yesterday with 3 dogs, after a short drive, on wide open moorland with every single person we met (bar none) deliberately observing a 6 foot gap, felt to me to be essential to mine and the dogs wellbeing. From observation everyone else clearly felt the same about themselves  

I have avoided any other journeys and avoided dog walks further away. I think I’ve met the spirit of what we’re currently allowed to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I have avoided any other journeys and avoided dog walks further away. I think I’ve met the spirit of what we’re currently allowed to do. 

You might have but there are plenty who are taking the piss and risking others (and there own) lives. To lots social distancing is just a hashtag! I bet nearly everyone of us can tell a tale of people out and about gathering in groups ignoring Gov advice.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Generally people aren’t daft and when this is over they will remember the people that looked out for them and the wider public.

They will also remember the 💩houses and treat them accordingly.

A few companies are bringing in bonus schemes,it would be nice for the government to reward all the public servants who have worked through this a little bit as well.

We are being. I'm getting an attendance bonus each month. Plus an incredible overtime rate. And I mean incredible. 

We also have a scheme where you can sign up to 108 hours overtime in the next 14 weeks. The bonus is huge. 

Similar is being rolled out across the services. 

Share this post


Link to post

Lying awake at 03:00 this morning I mentally planned permanent social distancing at Pride Park for next season. This involves closing 3 out of 4 rows and removing 3 out of every 4 seats of those left, brings capacity to 2000!

Related news, on a stroll yesterday came across a lady aggressively wielding a 2 meter cane to keep people away, when I said I wasn't into Limbo dancing she looked most offended.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Generally people aren’t daft and when this is over they will remember the people that looked out for them and the wider public.

They will also remember the 💩houses and treat them accordingly.

A few companies are bringing in bonus schemes,it would be nice for the government to reward all the public servants who have worked through this a little bit as well.

I’d like to think you’re right but, I bet Wetherspoons and Sports Direct will be just as busy as they were before all this happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well I'm lying in bed eating mac & cheese and serious contemplating a breakfast beer. Can't decide whether it's the end of civilisation or the start of something beautiful...

Don't you think it's a bit early in the day for mac & cheese 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’d like to think you’re right but, I bet Wetherspoons and Sports Direct will be just as busy as they were before all this happened. 

Do you think there might be a connection between poo houses & those two companies?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.