Coronavirus

1of4

After a slow start the United States has fought its way to the top of the Covid-19 league table.

A late surge by newcomer Spain was no match for Trump and his ineptitude as he steered the country past an impressive Italy and a sagging China.

Few people see the mighty US being usurped with many expecting it to surge to an unassailable lead, especially as New Orleans moves into attack with the people infected on Mardi Gras.

What a brilliant move that was by the city being ready to come off the bench in case New York tired in the second half.

And of course, Trump still has Florida warming the bench with the ace in the hole being all the people who have been arriving from New York by the plane and car load.

What an incredible job Governor Ron DeSantis did by not closing the beaches at Spring Break and then failing to stop the flow from New York until that horse had not just bolted, but found Mrs Horse, settled down and had foles.

Well played Ron, Donny will be proud of the way you utterly ducked up even when everybody in the country knew what to do, except you.

Stock image taken of Ron on the beach last week.

download.jpeg

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Derbyshire - up 26% again - 139

I know its asking a lot but would like to know how many of the confirmed are in critical, just hospitalized or are back at home.

Dont get me wrong, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands of cases in Derby and the surrounding area but I am keen to know how the hospital is doing.

I hope these antibody tests are rolled out and available for NHS staff quickly. Anyone working to help and treat people are true heroes.

59 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I know its asking a lot but would like to know how many of the confirmed are in critical, just hospitalized or are back at home.

Every stat I read is very worrying.

in Ireland 20% of confirmed cases are health care workers. 20% are hospitalised. About 3% are in intensive care and 1% have died. In England only 1% have recovered. 4% have died and the remaining 95% are still ill. 

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Every stat I read is very worrying.

in Ireland 20% of confirmed cases are health care workers. 20% are hospitalised. About 3% are in intensive care and 1% have died. In England only 1% have recovered. 4% have died and the remaining 95% are still ill. 

Have kind of moved to looking at deaths figures to get a handle on it as it’s pretty difficult to gain a real idea of figures with so little testing able to be done and testing being very random

I imagine that a certain percentage of the people out last night clapping their support of the front line NHS staff and carers and then posting on Facebook are also the ones that decided to ignore the government's advice on social gatherings and have 2 years worth of pasta, toilet roll and hand sanitizer stacking their homes out.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Have kind of moved to looking at deaths figures to get a handle on it as it’s pretty difficult to gain a real idea of figures with so little testing able to be done and testing being very random

Yeah I think this is a more sensible thing to do.

I'd like to know how much the death rate has increased in comparison to other years.

I've noticed a bit of a shift in language used by the media to say x amount of people have died WITH coronavirus, as opposed to x amount of people have died FROM coronavirus.

If some experts are correct that 50% of the country have been infected then surely it would stand to reason that a similar number of people dying are going to have it?

I guess it a @smiths_tavrn kind of point that there is a reasonably high percentage of these reported deaths that would have happened regardless of coronavirus not purely because of it.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I think this is a more sensible thing to do.

I'd like to know how much the death rate has increased in comparison to other years.

I've noticed a bit of a shift in language used by the media to say x amount of people have died WITH coronavirus, as opposed to x amount of people have died FROM coronavirus.

If some experts are correct that 50% of the country have been infected then surely it would stand to reason that a similar number of people dying are going to have it?

I guess it a @smiths_tavrn kind of point that there is a reasonably high percentage of these reported deaths that would have happened regardless of coronavirus not purely because of it.

With all due respect this argument is ridiculous.

the background death rate is 0.9%. If 3 or 4% with Coronavirus are dying then it is killing 3-4x as many people.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

With all due respect this argument is ridiculous.

the background death rate is 0.9%. If 3 or 4% with Coronavirus are dying then it is killing 3-4x as many people.

With all due respect I think your argument is ridiculous if you have:-

(a) no idea how many people have the virus

(b) no comparative figures to show how the virus is affecting death rates

I'm not downplaying the virus, it clearly is very dangerous. I'd like to know the in the deaths being reported, is it always the cause of death, or just present in people dying of other causes.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd like to know the in the deaths being reported, is it always the cause of death, or just present in people dying of other causes.

I don't see the point in getting hung up on this issue. Yes, the death rate is largely (but not exclusively) based amongst people with underlying health conditions. But for the sake of argument. If you started giving those people the wrong meds - and that killed them, would you say that they died of their health condition or would you say that they died because they were given the wrong meds?

Unless you're a coroner I don't think it matters

99.9999% of people die of something anyway*

*I'm hoping that I'm immortal obvs

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

I don't see the point in getting hung up on this issue. Yes, the death rate is largely (but not exclusively) based amongst people with underlying health conditions. But for the sake of argument. If you started giving those people the wrong meds - and that killed them, would you say that they died of their health condition or would you say that they died because they were given the wrong meds?

Unless you're a coroner I don't think it matters

99.9999% of people die of something anyway*

*I'm hoping that I'm immortal obvs

That is why I think it is important to use comparatives from earlier years.

Is the death rate for March 2020 abnormally high (which may indicate that coronavirus is driving it up), or is it in line with previous years (which may indicate that although people are dying with coronavirus it is not actually affecting mortality rates).

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That is why I think it is important to use comparatives from earlier years.

Is the death rate for March 2020 abnormally high (which may indicate that coronavirus is driving it up), or is it in line with previous years (which may indicate that although people are dying with coronavirus it is not actually affecting mortality rates).

Probably too early to get the raw numbers, but it would seem likely due to the increase in occupancy of hospital beds. 

8 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Probably too early to get the raw numbers, but it would seem likely due to the increase in occupancy of hospital beds. 

Yes I suppose that is a good measurement but bed usage does not actually equate to deaths.

There are going to be a lot of people that get ill from this thing that goes without saying.

17 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

It would be nice if this - and not only Costco - could be extended to all nurses and carers, not only those employed by the NHS. There are tens of thousands looking after elderly and young people in the care sector deserving of our support as well as those in the NHS. 

Handful of care home staff came and I got them in?Most people were happy only a bit of abuse this morning.

24 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Handful of care home staff came and I got them in?Most people were happy only a bit of abuse this morning.

At a time when I naively thought that a small mercy might be that we pull together in societal terms and look out for others and not just ourselves, a small section of the public seem to be polarising instead. Increasingly I think folk live in the here and now these days and perhaps that plays into their thinking when they conduct themselves in a manner that screams 'selfish bamford', but when this is all over, some folk will come to regret their behaviour in ways that they clearly can't currently comprehend. I don't wish ill on anyone but I certainly have less sympathy for some than others. It seems that we will all be touched by this event in some shape or form after all.

Anyway John my old mucker, thanks for your efforts and stay safe brother. I doff my cap to you and all the esssential workers out there trying to keep services running.

All the best to you and the Conehead clan. 

20 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

At a time when I naively thought that a small mercy might be that we pull together in societal terms and look out for others and not just ourselves, a small section of the public seem to be polarising instead. Increasingly I think folk live in the here and now these days and perhaps that plays into their thinking when they conduct themselves in a manner that screams 'selfish bamford', but when this is all over, some folk will come to regret their behaviour in ways that they clearly can't currently comprehend. I don't wish ill on anyone but I certainly have less sympathy for some than others. It seems that we will all be touched by this event in some shape or form after all.

Anyway John my old mucker, thanks for your efforts and stay safe brother. I doff my cap to you and all the esssential workers out there trying to keep services running.

All the best to you and the Conehead clan. 

I know it's started over there too, but we have a minutes applause at 8 o'clock every day. At first it was for the medical services, but now they are including all the emergency services plus all those that are working to keep society going - shop workers, dust men etc. All those jobs that others may have looked down upon are now the ones that are keeping many of us alive and healthy but in a different way. 
From me, to anyone on here who falls into the essential category (big shout out to @Van Cone De Head), thank you.

Archived