1of4

Coronavirus

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

What reason have they given? I'd be fuming,

None, and I was pissed off to begin with but then thought that we’re fortunate really. It does sound a bit “first world problem” to get too annoyed about it TBH.

I stayed in today, but the main road nearby again sounded very busy. 

London remains hotbed of infection with packed tube trains and open transport links to the rest of the country. 
We need to stop the tube and stop the trains.

The cold stats are very worrying. Coronavirus is estimated to be twice as infectious as flu, and possibly 25-30x more deadly. 
In the the last flu pandemic in 2009, in the USA alone there were 60 million cases of flu in 12 months, and 12,500 people died.  Currently there have been 515 reported deaths from Coronavirus in the USA. If this pandemic is as bad as that then 25 times as many will die, and if the increased mortality rate is even remotely accurate, then to suggest 100x as many people will yet die would be a highly conservative estimate. The new message from the President seems to imply that the number of deaths is a price worth paying in order to avoid the damage to the economy. 

on this crowded little island, we need to do even more to nip this thing in the bud. 

Apparently the virus that causes COVID-19 is very good at fixing accidental errors when replicating.  That means it will mutate less than influenza for example.  This is good news and it means that when we do develop a vaccine for this particular coronavirus it should be effective for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Apparently the virus that causes COVID-19 is very good at fixing accidental errors when replicating.  That means it will mutate less than influenza for example.  This is good news and it means that when we do develop a vaccine for this particular coronavirus it should be effective for a long time.

Maybe. Maybe not. transcription errors are just one cause of mutation.

I read that the Coronavirus turns off the bits of the genome that were wrongly transcribed, but they are still there. They only need to be switched on again in order to take effect. That’s possibly what caused this thing to ‘mutate’ in the first place.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Maybe. Maybe not. transcription errors are just one cause of mutation.

I read that the Coronavirus turns off the bits of the genome that were wrongly transcribed, but they are still there. They only need to be switched on again in order to take effect. That’s possibly what caused this thing to ‘mutate’ in the first place.

I'm just repeating the opinion of Dr. Duprex, the Director of the Centre of Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh who is currently working on developing a vaccine for this coronavirus.  From what they have learned so far, he seems confident that this virus is likely to mutate much less than the flu, which is be good news for everyone.  The world certainly doesn't need an outbreak of a brand new coronavirus every couple of years.

28 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm just repeating the opinion of Dr. Duprex, the Director of the Centre of Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh who is currently working on developing a vaccine for this coronavirus.  From what they have learned so far, he seems confident that this virus is likely to mutate much less than the flu, which is be good news for everyone.  The world certainly doesn't need an outbreak of a brand new coronavirus every couple of years.

Yes I understand. Just trying to describe the other side of the coin. If there is a large genome then the potential mutation is already there just waiting to be switched on. 

16 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I think all work, unless it's to produce food or to keep essential services open, should stop. Definitely can't see the point of allowing construction work to carry on, unless it's to make a builing safe.

Mate it's really a job by job situation. We're working on a new hospital that opens in April, there is no way we will down tools at this point of time. 

14 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Thought I'd just try Ocado website on the off-chance:

You are position 45786 of 45786. Your wait time will be more than four hours.

Hmmmmm

Sounds like my Wembley final ticket chase.

9 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I hope this stupid ducker has some deep pockets for the lawsuits coming his way if anybody gets sick on going back. And stunned to see him posting with Trump.

Jerry Falwell Jr defies calls for coronavirus closures and reopens Liberty University

Words fail me. It's sad I take more notice and believe the Chinese government more than the" leaders of the western world" these days.

25 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

So my wedding was indeed postponed 😭
In more positive news managed somehow to get all the vendors and the venue to agree a new date back end of August so fingers crossed some sort of return to normality may have happened by then!

Mine is booked for October so hoping that everything is back to some degree of normality by then! Good luck.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Taken less than 3 days of symptoms for them to get severe enough for me not to be able to work from home. Fever keeps climbing and my chest is in agony. What I'd give to just have the flu.

Sorry to hear that. Keep us informed. I think a lot of people are presuming if you're under 70, it's nothing. Sounds much more than a mild flu to me.

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

We're not even 1% into this yet. 

@bigbadbob 

Yesterday it was still a tiny % of the population that have caught the virus. 1 in 8000 people in derbyshire.

But if it carries on speading at the present rate there will be a 100x increase in less than 3 weeks. 

Hopefully it won't, and the isolation measures will have had some impact. 

20 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Mine is booked for October so hoping that everything is back to some degree of normality by then! Good luck.

Best of luck to you too !

If anyone is curious, I have just signed up for the call for 250,000 NHS volunteers. It was an easy process, I just needed to answer a few questions and upload an image of my driving licence or passport. Sadly, I can only offer the remote telephone contact option as my wife is meant to be self isolating for 12 weeks due to her cancer treatment. I don't think it really applies to her as her treatment finished a couple of months ago but, best to be safe than sorry and we don't want to burden the NHS by asking for clarification.

Just putting it out there in case anyone else is as lucky as I am to have the capacity and desire to offer something. I know there are many of you out there that simply couldn't do it. Hats off to you folk and thanks for keeping our essential services going.