Coronavirus

1of4

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

Re opening the U.K. or not has NO repeat NO effect on your life so perhaps you need to stop preaching to us

Use the ignore button. Whilst I don't agree with everything Albert puts and he never admits he is wrong (just joking), he has as much right to post on this thread as anyone else and some of his posts are if interest to me.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Do me a favour , September my backside

myself and my family have had to and have go out and circulate every day since day one , I’m talking lockdown and restrictions in THIS country, you live on the other side of the world,

even now the slightest proper look at border restrictions introduced and how they work in real terms shows they are not an attack on the virus , they are an attack on people ,

why do you consider yourself the authority on living through this in the U.K. when you don’t even live within a thousand miles of our shores ?

I don't recall claiming to be an authority on living through any kind of lockdown. As noted, I've been in lockdown for a whole two days since April. 

The point is, however, that the data speaks for itself. The choices made led to this current situation, and notably, the government did go against advice, notably avoiding a circuit breaker lockdown in September which could have, at the very least, slowed what happened since. Coming out of the lockdown back into the tiers also very wrong, though this has all been discussed to death on here.  

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

As always I laugh at you and your unswerving I’m right on any and every subject ?, drop the desperation tactic it’s sad and boring 

So, wait, you're laughing at those deaths because I claim I'm right on 'every subject', while you've also complained that I'm virtually only discussing this one subject. You're then suggesting some kind of desperation tactic is being used. Bizarre stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Re opening the U.K. or not has NO repeat NO effect on your life so perhaps you need to stop preaching to us

It's interesting how you presume that it has no impact on me. 

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

To emphasise the fact that those that catch covid after being vaccinated is a tiny, tiny fraction of a percent. 

Not everyone keeps up with the thread (oh how I envy them ?) and they may inadvertently see 5% and assume their risk is still 1 in 20.

They should probably read the statements then. If people confuse '5% of infections still get seriously ill' with '5% of people are still getting sick', there's more issues at play. 

Again, the chances of catching after the vaccination with restrictions is tiny. The question is whether, with the vaccination rates, etc, the infection rates can be kept that low. They should, but that's the whole point of a staged reopening. 

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm not ignoreing anything, my argument has always been that we should open up in the spring - after all of the vulnerable and over 50s have had their jabs.  This group makes up 99% of all hospitalizations and deaths.  We then continue to vaccinate the rest of the population over the wamer months in time for the next potential winter peak.

It was the reopening of schools that signaled the beginning of the second wave last time around. Working from a staged reopening would, hopefully, help prevent a repeat. I don't doubt the weather also played a role, but the timing of the start of the second wave was quite clear.

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

It was the reopening of schools that signaled the beginning of the second wave last time around. Working from a staged reopening would, hopefully, help prevent a repeat. I don't doubt the weather also played a role, but the timing of the start of the second wave was quite clear.

This time however we will have vaccinated the most at risk groups - those that make up 99% of all hospitalizations and deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55169799

I agree that there was a big spike in schools/universities etc but they are in the group that overwhelmingly shrug it off - assuming they even know they have it at all.  If their vulnerable extended family and friends have been vaccinated by then there is no real reason why life can't return to normal whilst we continue the vaccinating everyone else over the summer.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

This time however we will have vaccinated the most at risk groups - those that make up 99% of all hospitalizations and deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55169799

I agree that there was a big spike in schools/universities etc but they are in the group that overwhelmingly shrug it off - assuming they even know they have it at all.  If their vulnerable extended family and friends have been vaccinated by then there is no real reason why life can't return to normal whilst we continue the vaccinating everyone else over the summer.

The sooner the spread is ended, the better for everyone. That isn't just about vulnerable people who cannot be vaccinated, but also about the risks of other variants, that the vaccine impacts less, etc, spreading in the community. Having high risk groups sorted earlier will help with that, but again, keeping that R number below 1 will be crucial if life is actually going to return to normal. 

20 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Thanks for posting that. It's important that everyone understands this is what you think when reading your multiple posts per day on all things Covid. It's a useful reference point when you claim people are just accusing you of conspiracy theories when the disagree with you. Thankfully the people who agree with you are about 0.001%.

Just as right for me to post regularly like the likes of Albert and others ??‍♂️

o.oo1% ? Is that figure in your household , circle , this forum , country as a whole ,, interested in your figures?

30 minutes ago, Albert said:

So, wait, you're laughing at those deaths because I claim I'm right on 'every subject', while you've also complained that I'm virtually only discussing this one subject. You're then suggesting some kind of desperation tactic is being used. Bizarre stuff. 

It's interesting how you presume that it has no impact on me. 

They should probably read the statements then. If people confuse '5% of infections still get seriously ill' with '5% of people are still getting sick', there's more issues at play. 

Again, the chances of catching after the vaccination with restrictions is tiny. The question is whether, with the vaccination rates, etc, the infection rates can be kept that low. They should, but that's the whole point of a staged reopening. 

So the tired old granny killer line  yet again , give ten minutes we will be back to right wing accusation s , I find YOU and your unswerving desperation to be right funny not any single word ,line , paragraph YOU choose to assigne that laught to ,

is that really beyond the comprehension of someone who can understand everything in the universe better than anybody else with ease ??‍♂️

44 minutes ago, Albert said:

Warning: Logic Alert. Certain individuals of a certain disposition leave the thread now.

The whole point of a staged re-opening, and studying the effects of a staged re-opening elsewhere, is that it should be possible to subsequently determine which aspect of the re-opening had the greatest risk attached to it. Then, if the numbers are seen to climb to an intolerable level again as a result of the identified cause, what should follow is a 'staged re-closing'.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Warning: Logic Alert. Certain individuals of a certain disposition leave the thread now.

The whole point of a staged re-opening, and studying the effects of a staged re-opening elsewhere, is that it should be possible to subsequently determine which aspect of the re-opening had the greatest risk attached to it. Then, if the numbers are seen to climb to an intolerable level again as a result of the identified cause, what should follow is a 'staged re-closing'.

I cant see the logic. 

Why is the infection rate the all important figure all of a sudden?

Protect the NHS and save lives was the modus operandi.

If only 0.004% (or whatever the figure is) get seriously ill following vaccination, and the group of people that were making up 88% (or whatever the figure is) of hospitalizations, it shouldn't matter if the R rate is 1 or 101.

For the people that are still worried, take your own precautions.

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Boris Bingo ? What do we think will happen, not what we want to happen.

I reckon Schools March, Outdoor activities from Easter, shops Mid April and leisure Mid May.

What do you include in outdoor activities?

The Government have already said schools are the vector for spreading the virus, so once they are open I see little point in keeping everything else closed?

But I think you are probably about right with your timescales. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

What do you include in outdoor activities?

The Government have already said schools are the vector for spreading the virus, so once they are open I see little point in keeping everything else closed?

But I think you are probably about right with your timescales. 

Meeting other families, sport for example kids sports and golf.

12 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Boris Bingo ? What do we think will happen, not what we want to happen.

I reckon Schools March, Outdoor activities from Easter, shops Mid April and leisure Mid May.

They are on about opening the schools on March 8th.  Its only 2 weeks until the Easter holidays then, personally they have missed enough school already I'd keep them shut until after the holidays.  If they are going to open before however I would cancel the Easter holidays to catch up on 2 weeks lost education.

As for everything else I don't really care now - fed up with the whole situation.  I hope and expect everything to be open again however in April/May or whenever it is all of the over 50s and vulnverable have been offered their jabs.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

They are on about opening the schools on March 8th.  Its only 2 weeks until the Easter holidays then, personally they have missed enough school already I'd keep them shut until after the holidays.  If they are going to open before however I would cancel the Easter holidays to catch up on 2 weeks lost education.

As for everything else I don't really care now - fed up with the whole situation.  I hope and expect everything to be open again however in April/May or whenever it is all of the over 50s and vulnverable have been offered their jabs.

I did see there was talk about shortening the summer holidays to compensate...dont know if it will happen though. Possibly just paper talk.

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Genuine question: how do you lot find the time/energy to read every single page of this thread and argue with each other constantly?

Well its probably the most important event in most of our lifetimes.

Its good to hear alternative views even if you dont agree with them.

It helps pass the time of being locked up in your house.

Is it any different to exchanging views on one of the football threads?

Archived