Coronavirus

1of4

11 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I can remember years ago going for a beer and a burger.

It may put them back into profit though. 

Since they withdrew Belgian beers from their menu, I withdrew my custom. I shall never return.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Norman said:

ONS predict the first week of October was seeing 28,000 cases a day. Vallance reckons we are at 40,000 a day at the moment. 

Makes you think how many had it in late March/early April, and we had hardly any idea. 

We are probably talking hundreds of thousands a week.

I've seen estimates at around 100k a day in April, but we really don't know

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

You had better stock up on the beers pal they could be going up 20% in January.

Tell me about it. Not sure about 20% - more like 50%. There will be a very heavy import duty on the alcohol, and then perhaps another 20% UK VAT - that's assuming that we will be allowed to purchase online any more. The government website is very vague.

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

Which is why a more balanced approach should be adopted.  Can't hide forever, can't live like we once did.

You can if the virus is controlled. Life will be changed forever if a virus which causes lung damage even in asymptomatic cases, and kills around 0.65% of them, simply becomes endemic. Social distancing, masks, etc will become normal societal practices. 

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

You keep talking up Australia like it is some sort of covid free paradise but to continue its largely infection free status will mean remaining under repeating hard lockdowns.

To quote The Shawshank Redemption, 'get busy living or get busy dying'

Well, where I am hasn't seen a lockdown since April. This is the case for all states except Victoria, and they are very much not Covid free because they were the state that let it all go a bit like the UK. They have since sorted out their act and are coming out of lockdown right now. 

New Zealand is a better example of course, and they've not had 'repeated hard lockdowns' either, nor have the others. There have been short lockdowns in some, but all have been for less time than what the UK had seen even before this second wave. 

Again, the best way to avoid lockdowns, and learn to live with this virus, is actually controlling spread. There's no point gambling on the hope that people actually become immune long term enough that herd immunity is possible until we actually have the data to back it up. 

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Soooo, 

Hospital admissions are just about to get to the levels we saw on the 23rd of March 2020 (note, they aren't quite there yet) 

Current estimates from the ONS would suggest that this last week, we are seeing 250k plus infections

Anybody want to guess how many infections we were therefore dealing with, per week, at the start of April? 

And some say a full lockdown will stop it? 

A full lockdown will stop this, but it takes two weeks for any restrictions to have an impact. If this round of half measures isn't effective, and they have to go for the proper lockdown later, it will take two weeks to see that impact. The issue is that two weeks of growth could be enough to overwhelm the NHS. 

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

How is fair on people abay the rules were goverment do not go out for fine dining meals large groups more than 6.

Unfortunately B4 I was taught life isn't fair. I know you want to think because the Government don't follow the rules it means we should all be allowed to go back to normal, but I was also taught that two wrongs don't make a right. 

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

A quick question:

According to government guidelines, if you are in a Tier 3 area, you can only go to a pub and order a drink if you are having a 'substantial meal'....

Does this mean that if you want a second beer, you have to order a second meal?

There's going to be a lot more obese people in Wetherspoons by the time this is over.

But here in medium level world, I’m banned from playing football with friends but I can have plenty of drinks in the pub. Unbelievable.

No sport/exercise should be banned.

13 hours ago, Albert said:

A full lockdown will stop this, but it takes two weeks for any restrictions to have an impact. If this round of half measures isn't effective, and they have to go for the proper lockdown later, it will take two weeks to see that impact. The issue is that two weeks of growth could be enough to overwhelm the NHS. 

Keep banging that Vallance/Witty tune out.

Even the ONS survey has their numbers out by a million miles. 

7 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Unfortunately B4 I was taught life isn't fair. I know you want to think because the Government don't follow the rules it means we should all be allowed to go back to normal, but I was also taught that two wrongs don't make a right. 

If want people follow these new rules so should they but because they dont why should the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What is there to not agree with?

"I follow the rules because I want my family to be safe". 

I tell you what I dont agree with stopping people doing things they enjoyed doing while they go about doing what they want and then not wearing face covering they are the ones spreading the virus around. 

14 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I tell you what I dont agree with stopping people doing things they enjoyed doing while they go about doing what they want and then not wearing face covering they are the ones spreading the virus around. 

Everyone has explained to you that we are doing this because we are told it will protect people.

You do want your family to be safe, don't you? 

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

One irland fans clubs turned up large nurmbers and the club was force to let them this just proves how fed up people are of this now.

Sorry B4 but you cant possible compare with the football you want to attend.

The game i assume you mean is Coleraine. 450 Fans attended. The average is not even 1500 in a good season.

The average attendances of the NI 'PREMIER' league are somewhere akin to the english Nationa league north / south, even lower really.

450 people turning up in Coleraine is different to 25k showing up at pride park.

Archived