Coronavirus

1of4

Well, we're in full lock down.... And it's a poo show. 

Thanks to all those who had to buy pasta for next year, toilet roll for Xmas and those who couldn't resist that last pint at the pub. 

You speeded up the lockdown, the spread of Corona and have gotten a lot of prison officers in some terrible situations today. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Norman said:

Thanks to all those who had to buy pasta for next year, toilet roll for Xmas and those who couldn't resist that last pint at the pub. 

You speeded up the lockdown, the spread of Corona and have gotten a lot of prison officers in some terrible situations today. 

In the circumstances, do you think the government would be better off putting a tablet in each cell and letting inmates have unlimited contact with family and friends?

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

In the circumstances, do you think the government would be better off putting a tablet in each cell and letting inmates have unlimited contact with family and friends?

I don't know the answer. But no gym, no library, no visits, no association, no work, no courses like substance misuse and 23 hour bang up is not healthy. 

I think they will get locked SIMs with the numbers they are allowed to contact on, and given credit per week. 

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

We're not in lock down though are we. Police don't have the powers to fine anyone yet, I could go out now to my mates and in the unlikely event I was stopped by the police could say was just going to get some food shopping. Government said they won't issue a prescriptive list of which jobs are essential and those that aren't. Total overcrowding on the Tube again this morning the day after Boris announced the "lockdown"

36 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh, of course.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware there are plenty of decent folk out there.  Doing what is asked of them.  Thinking at least equally of others than themselves, if not more so.  I'm aware of many folk doing good deeds.  Working extra hard to help the cause.  There's a lot of good going on, and I'm aware.  But my post on this occasion was to show the opposite.  Or at least my opinion of the opposite. 
It wasn't to lay claim that all folk are bad.  That these are typical scenes country-wide.  Just that there are plenty still not taking this seriously enough... or selflessly enough.  I'd even wager some of the folk in my pics have "good reason" to be out and about, but I seriously doubt that is true for most of them.

Not sure what your comment re "what you want to believe" is all about?  These are photo's.  I assume they are accurate, unless photoshop has been upgraded considerably?

Your wider point is a good one though, and played on my guilt... tomorrow evening, I will attempt to find and post more positive pics.  That would be much more my cup of tea anyway, if truth be told.  ??

It's the 80/20 rule. 20% cause 80% of the problems. 

648 total cases here now, 2 deaths.  Some mysterious plague has hit the wild rabbit community in Reykjavík, dead rabbits all over the river valley in eastern part of Reykjavík. 

Civil defence will send a message to all phones in coming days, requesting that people download an GPS positioning app, which can also track what phones are in a person's vicinity, all to better understand the spread of the virus.  It will only be used by the medical authorities they promise. ?

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We're not in lock down though are we. Police don't have the powers to fine anyone yet, I could go out now to my mates and in the unlikely event I was stopped by the police could say was just going to get some food shopping. Government said they won't issue a prescriptive list of which jobs are essential and those that aren't. Total overcrowding on the Tube again this morning the day after Boris announced the "lockdown"

The prison I work in is mate. "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Doesn't help reinforce the message of not going out when there's newsreaders still reporting on location.... about people going out!

Same yesterday with the Health Secretary being interviewed on the same bench as the interviewer... in a park.

I suppose it's the latter day equivalent of reporting from the front in Vietnam (or Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan,etc.)

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

All on essential business...

26349780-8147821-image-a-207_15850676687

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go...

26351176-8147821-image-m-210_15850676749

A short stroll should do it...

26349792-8147821-image-a-204_15850676638

But there's only 5 of us...

26341904-8147821-Police_disperse_a_group

How yooo doin'...

26345466-8146135-image-a-116_15850603517

Yeah, but no, but...

26304814-8147821-Pedestrians_walk_across

Oh, For The Sake Of Our Lord Jesus Duck!!!!

Have you seen the video of the taxi driver going through a high street in the East end......

Shops with massive queues outside them, people congregating in groups on the pavememts. It almost as if theres a % of people in the country that thinks this isn't serious, or dont care. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh, of course.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware there are plenty of decent folk out there.  Doing what is asked of them.  Thinking at least equally of others than themselves, if not more so.  I'm aware of many folk doing good deeds.  Working extra hard to help the cause.  There's a lot of good going on, and I'm aware.  But my post on this occasion was to show the opposite.  Or at least my opinion of the opposite. 
It wasn't to lay claim that all folk are bad.  That these are typical scenes country-wide.  Just that there are plenty still not taking this seriously enough... or selflessly enough.  I'd even wager some of the folk in my pics have "good reason" to be out and about, but I seriously doubt that is true for most of them.

Not sure what your comment re "what you want to believe" is all about?  These are photo's.  I assume they are accurate, unless photoshop has been upgraded considerably?

Your wider point is a good one though, and played on my guilt... tomorrow evening, I will attempt to find and post more positive pics.  That would be much more my cup of tea anyway, if truth be told.  ??

Fair points all @Mucker1884

I made the comment 'depends what you want to believe I guess' because there are some - individuals, media outlets, commentators - but clearly not including you, who appear to be intent on picking out everything that might be wrong or can be interpreted as wrong about the behaviour of people and the Government's responses and not providing any balance.

Today there's no end of coverage of a BBQ in Coventry attended by 30 people. Yet I've seen plenty of photos not given the same attention, of people doing exactly what's been asked of them; I know a company giving away 1000 Alexas to help elderly people in care homes; the people in my street have joined together in a WhatsApp group to share experiences and help each other; the people in my brother's block of flats in Liverpool (he's 72) are helping by shopping for him; I know suppliers bending over backwards to help care homes and people in need; in Ilkley those shops that are open all operate a safe distance policy that people observe; on my Boris walk on Ilkley Moor today everyone was maintaining a safe distance - except the dogs!; there's no traffic on the roads and the right kids are at the schools, without any fighting amongst parents and teachers; teachers are doing a huge amount of extra work to help parents home school their kids; doctors, nurses and volunteers are coming out of retirement to help out in their thousands. And so on.

It depends on what you want to believe as we enter a period of the most extreme limitation on our freedoms, probably ever. If people want to believe that everyone is ignoring the restrictions and acting for themselves then fine because that's the message we are being fed pretty constantly. But in my experience the huge majority of people are doing the exact opposite in exceptional circumstances. And by and large I think that the Government have responded pretty well to the whole thing as well. 

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

What reason have they given? I'd be fuming,

None, and I was pissed off to begin with but then thought that we’re fortunate really. It does sound a bit “first world problem” to get too annoyed about it TBH.

I stayed in today, but the main road nearby again sounded very busy. 

London remains hotbed of infection with packed tube trains and open transport links to the rest of the country. 
We need to stop the tube and stop the trains.

The cold stats are very worrying. Coronavirus is estimated to be twice as infectious as flu, and possibly 25-30x more deadly. 
In the the last flu pandemic in 2009, in the USA alone there were 60 million cases of flu in 12 months, and 12,500 people died.  Currently there have been 515 reported deaths from Coronavirus in the USA. If this pandemic is as bad as that then 25 times as many will die, and if the increased mortality rate is even remotely accurate, then to suggest 100x as many people will yet die would be a highly conservative estimate. The new message from the President seems to imply that the number of deaths is a price worth paying in order to avoid the damage to the economy. 

on this crowded little island, we need to do even more to nip this thing in the bud. 

Apparently the virus that causes COVID-19 is very good at fixing accidental errors when replicating.  That means it will mutate less than influenza for example.  This is good news and it means that when we do develop a vaccine for this particular coronavirus it should be effective for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Apparently the virus that causes COVID-19 is very good at fixing accidental errors when replicating.  That means it will mutate less than influenza for example.  This is good news and it means that when we do develop a vaccine for this particular coronavirus it should be effective for a long time.

Maybe. Maybe not. transcription errors are just one cause of mutation.

I read that the Coronavirus turns off the bits of the genome that were wrongly transcribed, but they are still there. They only need to be switched on again in order to take effect. That’s possibly what caused this thing to ‘mutate’ in the first place.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Maybe. Maybe not. transcription errors are just one cause of mutation.

I read that the Coronavirus turns off the bits of the genome that were wrongly transcribed, but they are still there. They only need to be switched on again in order to take effect. That’s possibly what caused this thing to ‘mutate’ in the first place.

I'm just repeating the opinion of Dr. Duprex, the Director of the Centre of Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh who is currently working on developing a vaccine for this coronavirus.  From what they have learned so far, he seems confident that this virus is likely to mutate much less than the flu, which is be good news for everyone.  The world certainly doesn't need an outbreak of a brand new coronavirus every couple of years.

28 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm just repeating the opinion of Dr. Duprex, the Director of the Centre of Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh who is currently working on developing a vaccine for this coronavirus.  From what they have learned so far, he seems confident that this virus is likely to mutate much less than the flu, which is be good news for everyone.  The world certainly doesn't need an outbreak of a brand new coronavirus every couple of years.

Yes I understand. Just trying to describe the other side of the coin. If there is a large genome then the potential mutation is already there just waiting to be switched on. 

Archived