Generating extra income

Poynton ram

13 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Mel reckons that concerts during the early summer are not very lucrative. There are about 200 venues available to promoters during this period. This drives down the hire fee, The alternative is to promote the event ourselves, but there's apparently a very big chance of making a loss unless, especially at an unestablished venue with inexperienced promoters. 

That's the idea behind the roof and pitch cover. We should have a venue available through the whole year. We can then charge more for stadium hire as there will be fewer rivals. As time goes on, Pride Park gets established as a venue and Mel gets to watch how successful promoters work - it's not a great stretch then to imagine the club/Mel acting as the promoter, and thus maximising profit. 

When you say “we” I assume you mean the company that now owns the stadium and therefore not the football club. I’m struggling to see any financial benefit to DCFC from the stadium being used for other events other than to rent the facilities and promote the event ourselves which, as you say, is risky.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Glad Glastonbury didn't say that.

Or Knebworth.

Or Woodstock.

Or the Isle of White

Or Burning Man.

Or tbf, every major event in the history of music apart from Live Aid.

And even then, it was in Philly on the US side and not NY, LA, or Chicago.

Live events have little to do with the location and everything to do with what is on offer.

Having said that, Derby is a central hub and that makes us very desirable. 

Traffic permitting, we are less than a three hours for well over 30+ million people.

That ain't bad. 

Think big young man.

I don't agree. Money is the deciding factor, but I can't see how Pride Park will be any cheaper than anywhere else nearby. And if it can't be cheaper we don't really have anything else to give us a competitive edge. The likes of Brum, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc do.

Comparing a gigantic festival always held in the same place to the sort of events we'd be trying to attract is not a good comparison at all. Their are no other venues competing to attract the likes of Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

Being from East Anglia I've noticed Norwich City host concerts at Carrot Road. 

Take That last summer, the Killers this year. They've sold out.

It wasn't the real Take That though was it, minus Robbie Williams, so how they can purport to be Take That is beyond me.

I hope they discounted their tickets accordingly 

Since Derby county no longer own the stadium, I cannot see any possible benefit to the club.

The new owners might make money out of it but that’s a matter for them.

On 23/02/2020 at 19:33, GenBr said:

Concerts and other events were the entire reason for the roof idea. We would have a lot of competition to try and attract concerts here when we have a much larger city just next door though.

I seem to remember their were other rumours that we were looking at some kind of method to retract the pitch as well, so we could do stuff during the season. The way they remove the pitch at Spurs new ground is certainly impressive, but don't really think we could do the same here.

Let the Forest fans in after every game,,,,,, the pitch will soon disappear, (Along with the post, seats..........)

On 23/02/2020 at 19:33, GenBr said:

Concerts and other events were the entire reason for the roof idea. We would have a lot of competition to try and attract concerts here when we have a much larger city just next door though.

I seem to remember their were other rumours that we were looking at some kind of method to retract the pitch as well, so we could do stuff during the season. The way they remove the pitch at Spurs new ground is certainly impressive, but don't really think we could do the same here.

Size doesn't matter, location is a minor consideration, It is the quality of the concert that determines success.

Way back in the 60s the best gigs I ever went to were :-

Spalding '67 in a tulip barn Cream, Hendrix, Floyd, Move etc

Mother's above a furniture shop The Who

Other venues (I'm told) such as Yasqur's Farm, 40 miles South of Woodstock in the States, did pretty well in '69 and folk seem to flock to Glastonbury.

In other words you never know till you try.

Every entrepreneur knows that quality and value sell.

Car boot sale on the car park?

take washing in? (That laundry must be under used)

open up the concourses for kids parties - feed them roast potatoes, crisps, and Maltesers 

There’s three ideas.

17 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

If all the armchair whingers on here purchased a season ticket that would raise a lot of additional revenue.

I Don't think we can have many more ST's as a limit is put on them by our friends at the EFL (around 75-80%) if my memory serves me right.

22 hours ago, GenBr said:

I don't agree. Money is the deciding factor, but I can't see how Pride Park will be any cheaper than anywhere else nearby. And if it can't be cheaper we don't really have anything else to give us a competitive edge. The likes of Brum, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc do.

Comparing a gigantic festival always held in the same place to the sort of events we'd be trying to attract is not a good comparison at all. Their are no other venues competing to attract the likes of Glastonbury.

Well, the Isle of White was a one-off as was Woodstock and Glastonbury was intermittent at first and almost got closed down in the 80's. None of those, nor Burning Man, were about the money when they kicked off.

I've no doubt things have changed significantly and you're right that money is a major element and the single biggest factor. But there's a lot more to major event planning and winning bids.

All I'm trying to say is thinking small and saying 'well we just can't compete' is no way to go unless your Qatar and people suggest you try and win the World Cup.

Hang on a minute, they won it.

Perhaps we just need some brown paper envelopes stuffed with wads of cash?

49 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Well, the Isle of White was a one-off as was Woodstock and Glastonbury was intermittent at first and almost got closed down in the 80's. None of those, nor Burning Man, were about the money when they kicked off.

I've no doubt things have changed significantly and you're right that money is a major element and the single biggest factor. But there's a lot more to major event planning and winning bids.

All I'm trying to say is thinking small and saying 'well we just can't compete' is no way to go unless your Qatar and people suggest you try and win the World Cup.

Hang on a minute, they won it.

Perhaps we just need some brown paper envelopes stuffed with wads of cash?

Mel could start his own version of Glastonbury in Pride Park if he wants.

We used to have bands coming to the assembly rooms, but Mel is only going to do it if it makes any significant amount of profit for him, which I believe is unlikely.

In regards to bid winning I can only speak for the construction industry, but it is almost always entirely about money. If Mel can make us cheaper and still make any money then I hope he does carry on with our plans.

Realism is not thinking small. Nobody is going to pick Derby just because. You still have to offer something that isn't illegal to entice people to come here especially for the size of event that would be needed for somewhere like Pride Park.

Archived