Generating extra income

Poynton ram

With so much focus on cost cutting at PP just wondering what additional income the stadium can generate from non footballing activities.

I note places like the Macron in Bolton and Ashton Gate host concerts.

Anyone ITK aware what roughly the club would net for an event where say 25,00 tickets are sold? I can only assume not much otherwise I am sure Mel would have sanctioned it already.

Man City and West Ham seem to regularly host concerts although accept they have larger capacities than PP.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerts and other events were the entire reason for the roof idea. We would have a lot of competition to try and attract concerts here when we have a much larger city just next door though.

I seem to remember their were other rumours that we were looking at some kind of method to retract the pitch as well, so we could do stuff during the season. The way they remove the pitch at Spurs new ground is certainly impressive, but don't really think we could do the same here.

Thought one of the main aims with the stadium sale/ Planned roof construction was to do exactly that - fill the gap in the market for a big events venue in the East Midlands and host concerts etc. Least I seem to recall Mel saying something along those lines unless I’m mistaken, so I’m pretty sure Mel has long thought about this as an idea to generate extra income and circumvent ffp - he doesn’t miss much on that front!

Its all gone very quiet though on this front I have to admit. It’s the same with the investment and everything else mind, there’s been a deathly silence since the FFP charge. It’s to be expected of course, but it’s no doubt disruptive. I suspect any development on the stadium is, like everything else, waiting for Gabay to complete his investment/ takeover.

29 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Concerts and other events were the entire reason for the roof idea. We would have a lot of competition to try and attract concerts here when we have a much larger city just next door though.

I seem to remember their were other rumours that we were looking at some kind of method to retract the pitch as well, so we could do stuff during the season. The way they remove the pitch at Spurs new ground is certainly impressive, but don't really think we could do the same here.

I dont think we have much competition from Meadow Lane.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Thought one of the main aims with the stadium sale/ Planned roof construction was to do exactly that - fill the gap in the market for a big events venue in the East Midlands and host concerts etc. Least I seem to recall Mel saying something along those lines unless I’m mistaken, so I’m pretty sure Mel has long thought about this as an idea to generate extra income and circumvent ffp - he doesn’t miss much on that front!

Its all gone very quiet though on this front I have to admit. It’s the same with the investment and everything else mind, there’s been a deathly silence since the FFP charge. It’s to be expected of course, but it’s no doubt disruptive. I suspect any development on the stadium is, like everything else, waiting for Gabay to complete his investment/ takeover.

Even Chesterfield F C Have held Tom Jones and ELTON JOHN concerts I believe  

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

With so much focus on cost cutting at PP just wondering what additional income the stadium can generate from non footballing activities.

I note places like the Macron in Bolton and Ashton Gate host concerts.

Anyone ITK aware what roughly the club would net for an event where say 25,00 tickets are sold? I can only assume not much otherwise I am sure Mel would have sanctioned it already.

Man City and West Ham seem to regularly host concerts although accept they have larger capacities than PP.

Given we're only tenants, I'm not sure how any other events would generate income for the club.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont think we have much competition from Meadow Lane.

I know you jest, but look at what Derby Arena have planned in the coming months Vs the Ice Arena Nottingham.

3 shows from what I can see, all of which would fit naturally into the Assembly Rooms if it was open!

For Pride Park to work as a venue, it's got to offer 30k+ capacity all year round, to entice acts away from the competition.

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I know you jest, but look at what Derby Arena have planned in the coming months Vs the Ice Arena Nottingham.

3 shows from what I can see, all of which would fit naturally into the Assembly Rooms if it was open!

For Pride Park to work as a venue, it's got to offer 30k+ capacity all year round, to entice acts away from the competition.

It's the ability to hold events during the season that "adds the value" to Mel's plan. Even then, 30k+ venues puts you into a league competing with much bigger venues, not just similarly sized.

I don't have much of an idea about the potential market for these events though.

45 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

But it does have the advantage of being an outdoor venue.

It shouldn't be in competition with either the Derby or Nottingham Arena.

Mel reckons that concerts during the early summer are not very lucrative. There are about 200 venues available to promoters during this period. This drives down the hire fee, The alternative is to promote the event ourselves, but there's apparently a very big chance of making a loss unless, especially at an unestablished venue with inexperienced promoters. 

That's the idea behind the roof and pitch cover. We should have a venue available through the whole year. We can then charge more for stadium hire as there will be fewer rivals. As time goes on, Pride Park gets established as a venue and Mel gets to watch how successful promoters work - it's not a great stretch then to imagine the club/Mel acting as the promoter, and thus maximising profit. 

43 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Nottingham has a bigger population, better transport and more venues. If an act even decides to come to the East Midlands instead of the usual Brum, Manchester, Sheffield, etc we are going to have to be really competitive from a price perspective. 

Thought the below at Spurs new ground was pretty amazing though. Don't really think it would be possible to retrofit on an existing stadium, but maybe something like that could minimise the costs of set up and make Pride Park competitive with other venues costwise.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Glad Glastonbury didn't say that.

Or Knebworth.

Or Woodstock.

Or the Isle of White

Or Burning Man.

Or tbf, every major event in the history of music apart from Live Aid.

And even then, it was in Philly on the US side and not NY, LA, or Chicago.

Live events have little to do with the location and everything to do with what is on offer.

Having said that, Derby is a central hub and that makes us very desirable. 

Traffic permitting, we are less than a three hours for well over 30+ million people.

That ain't bad. 

Think big young man.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But it does have the advantage of being an outdoor venue.

It shouldn't be in competition with either the Derby or Nottingham Arena.

As far as I'm aware, Mel's plan is to use Pride Park as an indoor venue, using technology not yet unveiled to make it so. 

In fairness, that's the only way it could be viable, as an outdoor venue you're up against lots of competition, yet if he can make an indoor venue work around games during the autumn/winter, we'll have the largest capacity indoor venue in England.

Archived