Jimmy Greaves a film on BT Sports

TramRam

The greatest goal scorer Englands ever seen 357 of em, Some of you guys may have never heard of him, Retiered at 31, Became an Alcoholic, Fought through it, Then resorected his career on the Saint and Greavsie show, Towards the end of the film I had tears in my eyes, Not through laughter but sadness ?

If any of you have BT Sports a watch is a must ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of his biggest regrets was not signing for us when he left Spurs in the swap deal that took Martin Peters from West Ham to The Lane.

I’ve read his autobiography and he said he’d just moved to his native east London, Dagenham or somewhere when we went in for him and he didn’t fancy either a full house move or a commute so agreed to go to West Ham instead. He scored on his debut for them to maintain a record of scoring in every debut he made for a new club.

It was stated somewhere, years ago, that in a 1 on 1 situation with the goalkeeper, the average striker will score 1 out of 10. With Jimmy, it was 9 out of 10.

What few grainy black and white clips I saw of him, as he aapproached the goalie, it was impossible to tell when he would hit it, or which foot he would hit it with.

One tale he used to tell about his drinking was that he'd wake up in his car on some blasted heath, with the clock showing 9 o clock. He didn't know whether it was am or pm.

On 20/02/2020 at 10:53, The Orange Pimpernel said:

A fantastic natural goal scorer. Probably the best ever I would say. Certainly in England.

Peter Shilton called him a goal scoring genius.Brian Clough said Jimmy was the Best goal scorer so that will do for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2020 at 17:27, Pearl Ram said:

One of his biggest regrets was not signing for us when he left Spurs in the swap deal that took Martin Peters from West Ham to The Lane.

I’ve read his autobiography and he said he’d just moved to his native east London, Dagenham or somewhere when we went in for him and he didn’t fancy either a full house move or a commute so agreed to go to West Ham instead. He scored on his debut for them to maintain a record of scoring in every debut he made for a new club.

Hear him say it himself

Archived