Confronting Holocaust denial

RamNut

Very good programme on bbc2 with david baddiel just finished

not much you can say except this is why we have the bbc

well worth watching, on iPlayer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was indeed really interesting, and a tough watch.

Also a warning from the past for the future.

Very easy to look at the holocaust and think it was "just a bad man who killed decided one day to kill some jews, 80 years ago", but there was so much more to it. The propaganda that had to be spread, the attitudes that had to be cultivated and the cooperation of so many other countries. If we think it could never happen again, then I think we are wrong. Look around you

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I can't comprehend the mind that would even attempt to deny the holocaust. Those people are up there with flat earthers and anti-vaxxers in my mind. The levels of mental gymnsastics they perform to make everything around them fit to their views despite all of the actual evidence to the contrary is mind blowing.

Far worse than flat earthers because every denial is incredibly offensive to Jewish people.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Far worse than flat earthers because every denial is incredibly offensive to Jewish people.

Fair point, I was more hoping to comment on the ways in which these people go about validating their own madness but I fully appreciate that the two things are not comparible on a human level.

It's astonishing that holocaust denying could still exist.  But still, it's very much a minority belief now, if you meet a holocaust denier these days, you'd automatically think they are an idiot or a ridiculous attention seeker.  

The Armenian Genocide on the other hand, pretty much most Turks believe it not to be true.  It's amazing what a blend of nationalism and state propaganda can do to otherwise rational human beings.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

A trait shared with anti-vaxxers and flat earth conspiracy nuts...

image.png.99166160fe2e4de5e1fa3b632aeee32d.png

This is a good listen for those interested in why we persist with conspiracy theories (episode of Infinite Monkey Cage)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dfqn

As for the programme last night, the thing I thought was interesting was the line between those who think the whole thing is made up and others who somehow think it happened but has been exaggerated for the benefit of global Judaism. I actually do believe that one of the benefits of social media is it allows us all to see what a cess pit of opinions exist. These haven't been created because of social media, they have been given a voice of expression by it and - largely - what we hear is not very pleasant at all.

I’ve recordered it.

A couple of weeks ago myself and @Mrs Cone we’re sat having our break at work with a colleague and he was commenting on Trump and the Jewish cockroaches and how the holocaust was a load of rubbish.

At which point Lynne burst at laughing.

’Did you know John’s family was Jewish and were nearly all murdered by the Nazis?’

It was quite amusing to watch him try and squirm out of it,I will make him suffer for that one for a considerable length of time.

46 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I’ve recordered it.

A couple of weeks ago myself and @Mrs Cone we’re sat having our break at work with a colleague and he was commenting on Trump and the Jewish cockroaches and how the holocaust was a load of rubbish.

At which point Lynne burst at laughing.

’Did you know John’s family was Jewish and were nearly all murdered by the Nazis?’

It was quite amusing to watch him try and squirm out of it,I will make him suffer for that one for a considerable length of time.

You did well not to knock him the duck out.

46 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You did well not to knock him the duck out.

No point,I can cause much more suffering and for a much longer time.

VqTy58d.png

I’ve researched it more the older I get and in amongst the records of 21 of my family members at the Holocaust museum was this which it says is a train pass for one of my relatives who was 10 at the time from a work camp at Bialystok to Aushwitz where they were executed.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I spent one of the most horrific miserable days of my life visiting Dachau. I'd encourage everyone to do something similar and go to one of the death camps and see for themselves. It will stay with you.

Shut up and take my travellers cheques.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I spent one of the most horrific miserable days of my life visiting Dachau. I'd encourage everyone to do something similar and go to one of the death camps and see for themselves. It will stay with you.

Your not really selling it as a bucket list item Mr Sagan! 

5 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

No point,I can cause much more suffering and for a much longer time.

VqTy58d.png

I’ve researched it more the older I get and in amongst the records of 21 of my family members at the Holocaust museum was this which it says is a train pass for one of my relatives who was 10 at the time from a work camp at Bialystok to Aushwitz where they were executed.

That’s awful.

its very difficult for us to even comprehend. When I think that as a kid, the war and the liberation of the camps was only twenty years previous. It’s mind blowing.

I often wondered.....

How could neighbouring villages stand by and allow these camps to be created in their midst.

How could soldiers in the camps obey their orders.

How could the commandants live on site in their plush houses with their wives and kids and not go mental.

How could architects bring themselves to design the camps and fret over the elevations and the design.

How could engineers design and install the furnaces.

How could the German people allow all this to happen in their name.

How sick and twisted can people be?  it almost is beyond belief.  

the people who survived have lived with tremendous dignity. The struggle to survive, and the horror, seems to have suppressed rage and anger and desire for retribution. They must have been tormented and riddled with survivors guilt. 

i couldn’t visit the relics of these camps. It’s just too horrific.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

That’s awful.

its very difficult for us to even comprehend. When I think that as a kid, the war and the liberation of the camps was only twenty years previous. It’s mind blowing.

I often wondered.....

How could neighbouring villages stand by and allow these camps to be created in their midst.

How could the commandants live on site in their plush houses with their wives and kids and not go mental.

How could architects bring themselves to design the camps and fret over the elevations and the design.

the people who survived have lived with tremendous dignity. The struggle to survive, and the horror, seems to have suppressed rage and anger and desire for retribution. They must have been tormented and riddled with survivors guilt. 

How it happened is very, very scary. Today's political landscape is truly frightening if you have read books like "Alone in Berlin".

You slowly but remorsefully demonise a race or group of people then accuse anyone who sticks up for them as traitors until the decent people are too scared to speak up anymore.

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

That’s awful.

I often wondered.....

Didn’t know anything about it till I was 16,went to Hamburg with my mum and Dad for a holiday which was based around my Dad meeting  his fathers family.

It was a pretty interesting and unusual trip and emotional for my Dad.

https://www.ushmm.org/

This is the site I use most to get info.

I had to laugh when I found out I had a great uncle Adolf(really)and he got away.

Archived