Radio Derby

Norman Hull

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/02/2020 at 13:19, Ramarena said:

Steele is very good at the commentary lark despite not having much experience at it.

Itll be interesting to hear Bucko, hope he has a good game!

Maybe rotating a few more former players in for when Steele can’t do it would work, they have to be cogent though, so don’t give Mr “as you say” a call!

I think the departure of Ramage will ultimately prove to be a good thing for RD commentary team!

Not really surprised of this. When Steele was on that "Rams-TV meets" show, he was very articulate and obviously had a knack on storytelling. Easily the best episodes and definitely worth  listening.

On 24/02/2020 at 05:16, Mostyn6 said:

Hate hearing/reading this. Hall was a genius. His insight was amazing. Just cos he had the dialect of a coal miner, doesn't mean he was miserable!

Ramage was chirpy, but never enlightened anyone.

Richards was novel at best. The amount of basic mistakes in commentary he made was embarrassing, but because he was eccentric and eloquent, he's held in higher regard than he should be.

I knew Ian Hall fairly well.

My old man knew him from way back and he used to call in my sisters restaurant, The Strand in Matlock, 3 or 4 times a week for coffee.

I've talked with him for hours and hours.

He's super knowledgeable.

Insisted that Cox would never get Johnson, Gabbiadini and Kitson to play together and that Pembridge was overrated.

Utterly burst my bubble

He thought Short would be good though.

He pretty much nailed all 5 of those.

His favorite phrase was 'jam tomorrow' in terms of buying player based on potential.

He believed the worst kind of striker (or player in general) you could have was an inconsistent one no matter how good they could be, because every time you thought you'd drop them they'd play a blinder.

I think he's right with that.

Not sure I'd class him a genius, I doubt he could compete with Kasparov at chess, he failed with several attempts to solve Riemann's hypothesis, and I found his insistence on clinging to superstring theory when others had moved on to quantum chromodynamics disturbing.

But he knew his sport.

He was a miserable ducker though.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Matt Oakley? 

Sounds good, what are the rules?

Hang on. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think you’ve caught the gist:

Eric Steele = scissors

Adam Bolder = rock

Matt Oakley = paper  

22 hours ago, Rambalin said:

Buxton not the best that's for sure......Adam Bolder on Saturday is usually good, then thank the lord Eric is back for the United game

Yes it came across that Bucko hasn't had much behind the mic, maybe he would get better, but at present not easy on the ear. I have heard Bolder before and he seems ok, careful not to into controversial areas. Eric Steele is very good, and media savvy.

Unlike many on here, I found Ramage entertaining with his constant gaffes, malapropism's and lengthy rants. Made me chuckle anyway.... 

Archived