Gaining experience as a young player

FindernRam

Totally ignoring all names, genders, race which is why I've taken this out of the player threads

Any young player playing at this level is bound to have off days, and may appear to have an attitude problem. I think in many cases its  not a bad attitude its simply not quite knowing what to do and being flat footed. In our squad we range from vastly experienced players with all that knowledge of hundreds of games to draw on, down to youngsters with mere handfuls of games. Call it "Rabbit caught in the headlights" syndrome. This won't be helped by team and play style changes.

Rooney is part of the perception issue. He always seems to know what to do with the ball even before he gets it. His thought process is way ahead. Less experienced players just do not see things that quickly, do not have the "telepathy" to direct their movement. The contrast with Rooney is immense and they look worse than they are.

But here's the thing: Rooney is talking non stop to our players and yet I've not seen him get in any players face and berate them which I'm sure he would if he perceived lack of effort.

PS I seem to remember when a raw Tom Huddlestone broke in the team he was described as lazy. A languid style with long legs, no future for a player like that!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you looked at Max Bird last season you would've thought he'll never make it. I was confused as to why Lampard kept picking him, especially after watching us against Villa away. This season though he's been one of the most consistent performers since Christmas, he's been incredible. Morgan Whittaker reminds me of Max Bird last season. But there must be a reason he keeps getting into the team, if you watch any of the youth games he's a level above. 

Bogle and Bird are both the same age (19) but if Bird has a bad game the excuse is 'oh he's still finding his feet' but if Bogle has a bad game there's so much more of a negative reaction. Same with Bielik at the start of the season, him and Lowe are both still 22, but there's so much weight on their shoulders if they have a poor game. People forget how young this team is, they're not gonna be a 8/10 every game, if they were they wouldn't be in the championship. Just think of the players they will become in 5 or so years when they're in their prime...

5 minutes ago, jkew31 said:

If you looked at Max Bird last season you would've thought he'll never make it. I was confused as to why Lampard kept picking him, especially after watching us against Villa away. This season though he's been one of the most consistent performers since Christmas, he's been incredible. Morgan Whittaker reminds me of Max Bird last season. But there must be a reason he keeps getting into the team, if you watch any of the youth games he's a level above. 

Bogle and Bird are both the same age (19) but if Bird has a bad game the excuse is 'oh he's still finding his feet' but if Bogle has a bad game there's so much more of a negative reaction. Same with Bielik at the start of the season, him and Lowe are both still 22, but there's so much weight on their shoulders if they have a poor game. People forget how young this team is, they're not gonna be a 8/10 every game, if they were they wouldn't be in the championship. Just think of the players they will become in 5 or so years when they're in their prime...

Different player's need to improve different parts of their game when stepping up.
Bird's issue last season seemed to be adjusting to the pace of the game - he was getting closed down a lot quicker than he was used to for the U23s. This season, he's creating time for himself (just as Huddlestone manages to do).
Whittaker seems to be similar, and is unsure where his teammates are at times. Playing in the first team and forging partnerships with the RB, CM and CF would make a big difference.

Bird was where Whittaker is now...needs time, opportunities and patience!!

Playing with Rooney, Huddlestone and Davis - and other senior pros - gotta be a big help

They are only 19!!

I'm glad we have a great youth system

Next year. - I expect 4/5 players will be first team regulars

Archived