Jayden Bogle - the football thread

IslandExile

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Is there really anything wrong with wearing gloves??

Nope , how many times you see a player have his hand stood on with studded boots in bloody cold weather ,gloves are a good idea ,

that said if you are a young upcoming player of any creed or colour and you are going out on your own and ignoring club policy then I’m not sure your head is in the right place 

Late to the conversation on this but just so I’m clear we’re talking about 19 year old Jayden Bogle. The 19 year old who has already played over 70 games for us?

To summarise: a 19 year old isn’t the finished product yet and has areas of his game to develop? Well I for one am shocked!

Of course he has areas to develop, he has to work on his game and will also get better with games and experience. Rather than Bogle thinking he’s made it, I think there’s an element of fans forgetting his youth and judging him as some experienced pro.

As for attitude - if that seriously comes down to socks and gloves ? sorry, I mean yeah I can see how socks and gloves can cause an issue! If he had such a poor attitude and ego then I doubt he would be playing as much as he has this season. Cocu doesn’t strike me as someone who would put up with that. All about the effort and hard work and learning. All Cocu said after the match was he had to learn and also said he was a great prospect and had a great career ahead of him. 

Do we seriously need to continually find someone to lay into all the time. Lawrence is in good form and so is Waghorn so we’ve moved targets again. where was this talk of a poor attitude prior to this? For the ITK guy, 4+ years of knowing about his glove wearing indiscipline and this is the first we’ve heard of this! You going to wait for another dip in form before you drop the snood bombshell?

On 19/02/2020 at 08:08, WilkoRam said:

Late to the conversation on this but just so I’m clear we’re talking about 19 year old Jayden Bogle. The 19 year old who has already played over 70 games for us?

To summarise: a 19 year old isn’t the finished product yet and has areas of his game to develop? Well I for one am shocked!

Of course he has areas to develop, he has to work on his game and will also get better with games and experience. Rather than Bogle thinking he’s made it, I think there’s an element of fans forgetting his youth and judging him as some experienced pro.

As for attitude - if that seriously comes down to socks and gloves ? sorry, I mean yeah I can see how socks and gloves can cause an issue! If he had such a poor attitude and ego then I doubt he would be playing as much as he has this season. Cocu doesn’t strike me as someone who would put up with that. All about the effort and hard work and learning. All Cocu said after the match was he had to learn and also said he was a great prospect and had a great career ahead of him. 

Do we seriously need to continually find someone to lay into all the time. Lawrence is in good form and so is Waghorn so we’ve moved targets again. where was this talk of a poor attitude prior to this? For the ITK guy, 4+ years of knowing about his glove wearing indiscipline and this is the first we’ve heard of this! You going to wait for another dip in form before you drop the snood bombshell?

He also had the audacity to get a haircut

On 17/02/2020 at 18:04, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

It’s not just his hair, he’s been told not to wear his socks over his knees but he does what he likes. He’s also told not to wear gloves (club policy) but he still does. 

The hair thing? Ridiculous.. Ronaldo - highlights, Messi - hair-band, Baggio - rat ponytail, Rooney - implants... Seriously, history is littered with footballers with ridiculous hair, case dismissed. 

Him doing what he wants and ignoring coach's advice is a bit concerning but I reckon Gazza would have been hard to handle. 

However!!!! Wearing in gloves in 10°c temperature is a personal irritant ONLY surpassed by the John Terry /Thierry Henry pulling socks over knees thing.... I just don't get it at all, what is the point?? 

My kids do it and it drives me insane. Definitely would not start anyone in a game wearing gloves with his socks pulled over the knees...

PS Finally common sense has returned to the forum after days of people pontificating about other people's faults and what they may or may not be thinking... At last we can get back to good old fashioned private hatreds and agendas! 

On 17/02/2020 at 09:59, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Really struggling with this.

How do we know his attitude is bad? Does changing his hairstyle mean that he has an attitude problem? Or doing a celebration after scoring an absolute wonder goal? Did David Beckham, widely regarded as one of the most dedicated and hardest-working footballers ever, have an attitude problem that held him back, simply because he was bothered about his appearance?

Cocu may be right in saying that his attitude was off on Saturday, but being a bit pissed off in one game doesn't give him an attitude problem.

The problem of course could also be lost in translation. When Cocu says "attitude", maybe he means mindset or similar.

Cocu's English is much better than my Dutch but he does occasionally say words that kind of fit his sentiment but does not actually mean what he is trying to allude to.

He may well have meant that Bogle's attitude wasn't great, however Cocu might have been trying to say his head wasn't quite in the right place.

We have all been there, full of the right attitude but your concentration can be elsewhere for what ever reason.

By the way it is nothing to do with a new hairstyle. You only lose strength and skill by having your hair cut not styled. ?

On 17/02/2020 at 18:04, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

It’s not just his hair, he’s been told not to wear his socks over his knees but he does what he likes. He’s also told not to wear gloves (club policy) but he still does. 

I know a lot of people are going to laugh at you on this one but I actually believe you. Explains why both Roos and Hamer struggle to catch the ball.

On 17/02/2020 at 21:19, Millenniumram said:

Good to see this thread created, think there’s a lot to discuss about Bogle away from the obvious awful off the field incidents involving him and others. 

I’d start off by saying that, while I agree with the sentiment that Bogle isn’t good enough defensively right now, I still don’t think he should be playing in midfield. Not unless we really are struggling for options anyway, which I don’t think were quite at the point of yet, even with Holmes injury. You could argue he may be better as a RWB, but as soon as you move properly into midfield a bit of a different skill set is required to succeed imo. You’ll be facing much closer defensive attention than you would as an on running fullback, which requires a lot more close control and skill on the ball to deal with. You’ll also be more expected to deliver goals as well as assists, so you’d need to have good composure in front of goal, as well as the intelligence to know when to pass, when to shoot, as well as who to pass to, when in the final third. A full back won’t necessarily have all of this skillset in their locker. It’s a very much different role, and I wouldn’t like to see Bogle thrown in as a square peg in a round hole.

That said, I do think we need to think carefully about how we replace Holmes. I’m not convinced that either Shinnie or Knight is quite the right sort of player to cover for him for the rest of the season. While both are centre mids, neither really offer the team quite what Holmes does in terms of his ball carrying ability. In fact none of our midfielders, bar Sibley, really have that sort of quality, and I’m not convinced he’s ready yet. Holmes is a very difficult man to replace in that respect, and it further emphasises how important he is to us as a team. As mental as it sounds.... I actually think the man to replace Holmes is none other than Florian Josefzoon, in a switch of system. Now I don’t rate the lad, he’s looked a pretty poor player at this level previously and has offered very little, but it does strike me that he’s about the only other player we have left with even an ounce of pace and ability to make those direct runs at the opposition defence that Holmes makes. I think he’s worth at least another go just to see what happens. I’m really struggling to see what else would work. 

Final word back to the main point on what to do with Bogle as well. I personally think it’s as simple as we leave him out the team. He hasn’t had a poor season by any stretch of the imagination, but his levels have dropped from last season, and his recent form hasn’t been good enough. Wisdom has deservedly won the RB position, and on current form should undoubtedly keep it. That obviously leaves us with no options at Centre half so we’ll have to hope Davies and Clarke are good enough, but I think it’s the way it has to be. Obviously I don’t think Wisdom is overall a better player than Bogle, the former is probably no more than an average player at this level whereas Bogle’s natural ability is obviously at a higher standard, but on current form Wisdom is playing better - simple as that. So until Bogle gets his act together, he needs to fight for that place back. The one thing that does worry me with him though is his regression from last season. You’d hope for young players to be on a pretty constant upward trajectory, but Bogle seems to have dropped a level from being one of the best at this level last season to just being “good”. Now for a 19 year old that’s still mightily impressive don’t get me wrong, but his confidence in the final third does seem to have dropped, as well as his defensive concentration, which does worry me a bit. And that’s not just recently, he’s been similar all season. It’s not a good sign in a youngsters development when they seem to get worse rather than better imo, although starting at such a high level it’s obviously difficult for Jayden.

You are probably right. Put him back in the U23's and remind him of what he has/had. Hopefully that will be the wake up call he needs. (If indeed it is an attitude problem).

11 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

You are probably right. Put him back in the U23's and remind him of what he has/had. Hopefully that will be the wake up call he needs. (If indeed it is an attitude problem).

If the attitude issue really is that bad then I agree that might be the right move. I’m not so sure it’s that serious mind, think he’s just started to believe his own hype a little too much. A spell on the bench with Wisdom starting until he earns his place back will suffice imo.

I think cocu was right to drop both of them. Fozzy and wizz are playing better.

I would continue to leave them out esp with Fulham having mitrovic 

Young lad , plenty of promise but he is in a battle for the starting spot with wisdom who is a decent player and in decent form so perhaps he will have to get his head round that rather than perhaps feeling he was first pick ,yes it can give you a knock but it’s very much part of being a young pro breaking into the first team scene 

at the moment for me wizzy gets the right back spot ahead of him and Bogle needs to get his head down and graft to win it back then keep it ,

all this kid gloves stuff about not wobbling his confidence spouted by some on here is not real world and does him no favours, he has not got to the point he’s at now without hard work and good attitude so he knows what it takes 

I'm really ducking confused reading this thread

Jayden Bogle is a bad player because he pulls his socks up?

Jayden Bogle has a bad attitude because he wears gloves?

Jayden Bogle has an ego because he got a new trim?

There's some absolute waffle in this thread about a player with an incredibly high ceiling showing a bit of poor form at a young age.

Yes Bogle needs to improve defensively but he's not letting crosses in because he's too busy pulling his socks up.

And how dare he celebrate scoring a worldy to put us 4-0, clearly not the sort of player we want round here ?

Archived