v Fulham (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Hamer instead of Roos.

Pretty much anyone else except Jozefzoon.

Apart from that, looks OK to me.

Very much disagree with the first point.

Agree with the second, but there’s no one else and without Joflo in there we will have the pace of the local old pensioners home reserves side.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot of people would opt for Davies and I can definately see the logic but just as a point of consideration: Mitrovic has had the beating of him every time we've played them, more so than his partners in those games. 

At the risk of disrupting the squad I'd be tempted to go with a 343 of 

Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

Bogle  Rooney  Bird   Lowe

Waghorn Martin Lawrence 

I think this might allow us to better handle Mitrovic and allow us to exploit the gaps that will appear behind the Fulham full backs as they push forward. 

If we stick with the same formation (which is reasonable) then I'd probably just bring in Knight for Holmes and call it good. 

(Not mentioned the keepers because to be honest I think there isn't much between them and not too fussed which plays)

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I see a lot of people would opt for Davies and I can definately see the logic but just as a point of consideration: Mitrovic has had the beating of him every time we've played them, more so than his partners in those games. 

At the risk of disrupting the squad I'd be tempted to go with a 343 of 

Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

Bogle  Rooney  Bird   Lowe

Waghorn Martin Lawrence 

I think this might allow us to better handle Mitrovic and allow us to exploit the gaps that will appear behind the Fulham full backs as they push forward. 

If we stick with the same formation (which is reasonable) then I'd probably just bring in Knight for Holmes and call it good. 

(Not mentioned the keepers because to be honest I think there isn't much between them and not too fussed which plays)

Not a bad set up with what we have currently got although in a 3 at the back I would include Davies 

as for the keeper - I would play Roos who to me is better than Hamer and he is our player and I don’t imagine we will be signing Hamer as he is under contract 

Roos

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe 

Bird 

Knight Rooney 

Lawrence 

Waghorn Martin 

fairly flexible and could easily have Forsyth in at left back or Shinnie in for knight whilst I am not sure it’s worth risking wisdom and his hamstring with so many games coming up. 

53 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Very much disagree with the first point.

Agree with the second, but there’s no one else and without Joflo in there we will have the pace of the local old pensioners home reserves side.

Not much point having pace if you don’t use it effectively.

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not a bad set up with what we have currently got although in a 3 at the back I would include Davies 

as for the keeper - I would play Roos who to me is better than Hamer and he is our player and I don’t imagine we will be signing Hamer as he is under contract 

My logic with that 3 at the back is that the wider two centre backs need to have a bit of pace and be comfortable out in full back positions. I don't feel I can really say that about Davies or Clark wheras Wisdom and Fozzt make sense in those positions and at the current time Clarke is the better player so goes in the centre of the 3.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

He’s not the same player anymore, but Davies put in one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from a Derby centre back in the 2017/18 Play Off semi final first leg.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Not much point having pace if you don’t use it effectively.

Nothing more annoying to me than seeing Josephmoon and/or Whitaker jogging around using a fraction of their pace potential and then seeing Martin and/or Waghorn with 110% effort not being quite quick enough.

Joshephmoon taking the easy pass backward or sideways rather than tearing toward the defender p’s me off so much.

On 17/02/2020 at 18:08, Dimmu said:

For me, Fulham is division's best team on paper. I've watched quite few of their games so far and they've never convinced me. With that trio upfront, they simply should be unstoppable in this division. I think their tactics are too careful and that gives us a change to go at them and get the three points. 

Mitrovic vs Clarke should be entertaining wrestle match and is good indicator where Clarke is in his development. I think he will come out of that pair as a winner, Mitrovic playing style and attributes should fit to Clarke's. 

Another interesting point is who replaces Holmes. I'm afraid it's Shinnie, I'd be happy with Knight but personally I'd go with Sibley. Time to step up and I see him as Holmes back up anyway as they have similar ball carrying ability. Cocu certainly has balls to do whatever he likes so we have to wait and see.

Funny you should say that .. about Sibley. I can’t decide whether he is ready or not. I think he’s got it but it’s a risk. I don’t know for sure. 

it will be an indication of Cocu’s thinking .. who are the midfield 2 to go with Rooney. What suits the balance best considering we are playing at home but against a strong side. Play safe/tough with Shinnie or throw in some youthful hunger to replace Holmes - who is the midfield spark in normal circumstances. 

When thinking about who should replace Holmes most people want something like-for-like (which would be my preference too) and will call playing Shinnie a negative move,  but they'd do well not to forget the win at Swansea where subbing on 2 more defensive players actually lead to us getting a foothold in the game and going onto secure the victory.

After that match some people said that clearly the manager does know more  about winning football matches than the fans, more than those who call anything they don't agree with the wrong decision.

Roll onto Huddersfield where we also gained a better footing in the game and took the lead with Shinnie coming on (maybe not because of it but who knows how it would have played out with a like for like sub?) but because we let in a late equaliser the same sort of change that won us the game at Swansea swings opinion back towards the fans knowing more than the manager!

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Roll onto Huddersfield where we also gained a better footing in the game and took the lead with Shinnie coming on (maybe not because of it but who knows how it would have played out with a like for like sub?)

To be fair, we lost quite a lot of impetus with the change to bring Shinnie on for Holmes, with Holmes often driving us forward from midfield, and that not being Shinnie's game. I think Jason Knight would have been a better change for the balance of the team in that game. Nothing to do with the late equaliser.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, we lost quite a lot of impetus with the change to bring Shinnie on for Holmes, with Holmes often driving us forward from midfield, and that not being Shinnie's game. I think Jason Knight would have been a better change for the balance of the team in that game. Nothing to do with the late equaliser.

Yep it's a fair point, but Huddersfield I would say were still the better team  even when Holmes was on the pitch, despite Holmes offering more of an attacking threat, but from the start of the second half up to and including the goal, and before Wisdom went off injured that we were the better team.

It's all ifs buts and maybes, but if Wisdom hadn't had to go off I think we would have been looking at a slightly lucky but hard fought victory. Certainly not pretty, and with a different approach we could have scored more so the end of the game wouldn't matter, but equally we may have gone for a straight swap and continued to be the worse of the two teams throughout the entire match and lost.

Archived