Pop Side seating

SEAO

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

That place had a heart, it had history it was home.

It was also totally past it, in a completely inconvenient location, unfriendly to women, children and families, had awful facilities, was an accident waiting to happen (some would say 'death trap' following the Hillsborough and Bradford disasters) and the pitch was a national embarrassment.

The decision to build Pride Park was a brilliant and far sighted move and is the main reason why, after a dozen years in the Championship, we still have well over 20000 season tickets and get attendances of over 27000 for visits by the likes of Hull City.

So glad we moved when we did. And happy we are not in the position of the likes of Elland Road, the City Ground and Hillsborough, with their decrepit grounds and ever increasing cost of having to modernise them.

PP is regularly voted one of the best grounds in the division - no need to listen to the bitter views of jealous local rivals

The BBG holds fantastic memories but we needed a stadium for the modern times, not for nearly 50 years ago

39 minutes ago, Emson said:

It was also totally past it, in a completely inconvenient location, unfriendly to women, children and families, had awful facilities, was an accident waiting to happen (some would say 'death trap' following the Hillsborough and Bradford disasters) and the pitch was a national embarrassment.

Yet I prefer grounds like that. I'd rather go to luton/Fulham etc than swansea/huddersfield etc. I dont go to football for facilities, decent seats, flashy lines on pitches or a Costa coffee built in. Each to there own. ?

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You actually being serious.

Can I borrow your rose tinted glasses please and take a swig out of the bottle of nostalgia you're imbibing

And you genuinely think that having a ground exactly the same as all the other new grounds slapped on an Industrial estate is good...?
give me an individual ground, with history and soul any day.... I would much rather go to Highbury than the Emirates....or Upton Park than whatever their ground is called now... or Maine Road than the Ethiad...etc etc etc 

1 hour ago, Emson said:

The decision to build Pride Park was a brilliant and far sighted move and is the main reason why, after a dozen years in the Championship, we still have well over 20000 season tickets and get attendances of over 27000 for visits by the likes of Hull City.

So glad we moved when we did. And happy we are not in the position of the likes of Elland Road, the City Ground and Hillsborough, with their decrepit grounds and ever increasing cost of having to modernise them.

PP is regularly voted one of the best grounds in the division - no need to listen to the bitter views of jealous local rivals

The BBG holds fantastic memories but we needed a stadium for the modern times, not for nearly 50 years ago

Yes the decision to move to PP was a good one and we must never forget Lionel and the board at the time, for making it happen. I guess there is a lot of nostalgia associated with the BBG in terms of what those on the pitch achieved, being among the best in Europe. Something that realistically will never happen at Pride Park. We do have a nice ground, but sadly we are a second tier team nowadays. 

1 hour ago, Xlor said:

Yet I prefer grounds like that. I'd rather go to luton/Fulham etc than swansea/huddersfield etc. I dont go to football for facilities, decent seats, flashy lines on pitches or a Costa coffee built in. Each to there own. ?

Fair enough

Would you have preferred for us to have stayed at the BBG ?

45 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

And you genuinely think that having a ground exactly the same as all the other new grounds slapped on an Industrial estate is good...?
give me an individual ground, with history and soul any day.... I would much rather go to Highbury than the Emirates....or Upton Park than whatever their ground is called now... or Maine Road than the Ethiad...etc etc etc 

It's on a retail/commercial park not an industrial estate, pubs, restaurants and hotels nearby, and when the circumstances arise the atmosphere is top notch ? 

I understand @MuespachRam's position, I loved the Baseball Ground. I can still feel it, smell it, hear it. I too was sad enough to drive over, park up and stroll round last year for about the 10th time since it shut. Its a great way to spend half an hour while the missus is spending all my money in Debenhams.....

The statue thing is a a strange lump of metal but there are some new roads with rams/football themed names and I still get a tingle when I see Shaftesbury Street and realise I'm standing on Shaftesbury Crescent where the main entrance was. I even walked down to Osmaston Road/Ivy Square and had a mooch round, I had an urge to buy 10 No.6 and a Harrington jacket and chase some bugger to the station.....?

So even though the old place will always have fantastic memories for me I have actually grown to like Pride Park. @David is right when he says younger fans will only ever know the new ground, @philmycocu is right that its not an industrial estate, there are pubs, restaurants, hotels and its a decent atmosphere when folks join in with the regular singers.

Its our home now, although its similar in design to other grounds, the Clough & Taylor statue and the old main entrance brickwork are good attempts by the club to keep the old memories alive. Theres times when the South west upper and the East Stand all sing together with the South Stand that makes the hairs on the back of me neck stand up - much like it used to when the Derby, Derby, Derby chant echoed round the Baseball Ground.

A part of me will always pine for the back of the Vulcan Street Popside, but that's probably more to do with getting old and feeling sad about my misspent youth than anything else. 

fckin love Derby, fckin love Derby, fckin love Derby.........

I loved, indeed am still in love with, the BBG. However it was never a viable option to stay there. I feel honoured to have had that place as part of my earliest memories. I'm nearly 56, l first went there in around 1966, so old second division days. Obviously I can't remember my first game, but I do REM my feelings from those days, and I know that they are from those days because I remember leaving the house and walking to the ground from Havelock Road where I was born and moved from in 1968. Obviously they are more "recent" memories, but the smell of the BBG is still there in me. I don't even have to try to remember it. It's just there. That smell was a "special" smell, especially for a midweek game. That photo that @Angry Ram posts every now and again makes my hairs stand on end and that smell envelopes me.

I couldn't have fonder memories of the place, however it was time to move on. Like all loved one, one day they will no longer be there. But like all loved ones their memory lives on. PP will be like that for many some day. I've been less than a dozen times, but it gives me a tingle when I see it. And if you get to go every other week appreciate it. Those of us who no longer have either miss them both.

11 hours ago, Emson said:

It was also totally past it, in a completely inconvenient location, unfriendly to women, children and families, had awful facilities, was an accident waiting to happen (some would say 'death trap' following the Hillsborough and Bradford disasters)

Have to disagree it was a great location, it was full of character, walking to the ground down the small streets passed the heaving pubs, programme sellers and the chippy I’ll never forget it. Much better than now walking to a soulless industrial estate, no atmosphere around the place.
Unfriendly to Women, children and families???? I was a child going there and never found it unfriendly. I guess it’s the snowflake generation now who would feel intimidated and offended by the atmosphere, but to me that’s what made match days great and unfortunately something we can never get at PP. 

I’d go back To the BBG in a heartbeat 

15 hours ago, Xlor said:

Remember it well. A massive attendance of about 9000. Still more noise than at any game at pp. How we get 30k now, watching less talented players at 30 quid a pop I'll never know.

Likewise, terrible game, who could have foreseen what was to come? I do remember how good Darryl Powell looked though :-)

30 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I loved, indeed am still in love with, the BBG. However it was never a viable option to stay there. I feel honoured to have had that place as part of my earliest memories. I'm nearly 56, l first went there in around 1966, so old second division days. Obviously I can't remember my first game, but I do REM my feelings from those days, and I know that they are from those days because I remember leaving the house and walking to the ground from Havelock Road where I was born and moved from in 1968. Obviously they are more "recent" memories, but the smell of the BBG is still there in me. I don't even have to try to remember it. It's just there. That smell was a "special" smell, especially for a midweek game. That photo that @Angry Ram posts every now and again makes my hairs stand on end and that smell envelopes me.

I couldn't have fonder memories of the place, however it was time to move on. Like all loved one, one day they will no longer be there. But like all loved ones their memory lives on. PP will be like that for many some day. I've been less than a dozen times, but it gives me a tingle when I see it. And if you get to go every other week appreciate it. Those of us who no longer have either miss them both.

Oh, it was definitely a viable option, they'd started doing the work! Who knows what could have been?!? It would never have been as comfortable as PPS obv but it would have been much more individual, special.....

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I understand @MuespachRam's position, I loved the Baseball Ground. I can still feel it, smell it, hear it. I too was sad enough to drive over, park up and stroll round last year for about the 10th time since it shut. Its a great way to spend half an hour while the missus is spending all my money in Debenhams.....

The statue thing is a a strange lump of metal but there are some new roads with rams/football themed names and I still get a tingle when I see Shaftesbury Street and realise I'm standing on Shaftesbury Crescent where the main entrance was. I even walked down to Osmaston Road/Ivy Square and had a mooch round, I had an urge to buy 10 No.6 and a Harrington jacket and chase some bugger to the station.....?

So even though the old place will always have fantastic memories for me I have actually grown to like Pride Park. @David is right when he says younger fans will only ever know the new ground, @philmycocu is right that its not an industrial estate, there are pubs, restaurants, hotels and its a decent atmosphere when folks join in with the regular singers.

Its our home now, although its similar in design to other grounds, the Clough & Taylor statue and the old main entrance brickwork are good attempts by the club to keep the old memories alive. Theres times when the South west upper and the East Stand all sing together with the South Stand that makes the hairs on the back of me neck stand up - much like it used to when the Derby, Derby, Derby chant echoed round the Baseball Ground.

A part of me will always pine for the back of the Vulcan Street Popside, but that's probably more to do with getting old and feeling sad about my misspent youth than anything else. 

I’ve only been down there 5 or 6 times in the last 20 years However I have taken different routes down Cambridge Street and down Shaftesbury Crescent. Great memories I think I took a lot of it for granted. When we moved to PP I used to see the old flood lights from the West Stand concourse and wish we were still there. Not to worry now we’re in our £80m stadium. We’ll never get the BBG back. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not only do I agree with that, but can also relate to it... although more often than not I was a chasee rather than a chaser, and I frequented the Ossie End as opposed to Popside.

I'll always have those memories, and will always pine for the more positive aspects of that history, but there is no doubt in my mind that we did the right thing.  It was simply not practical to attempt to bring... and maintain... the BBG up to modern standards.
Yes, "modern standards" may mean "safe/boring/predictable" etc, but in my case, that goes hand in hand with my own outlook on life!  I wouldn't have backed this move when I was in my teens, I assure you!

Great post, @uttoxram75.  ??

Archived