v Huddersfield Town (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

16 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Slightly regretting getting tickets for this one due to the weather forecast. 4 hour round trip is something I'm not relishing in those conditions. 3pts and a better defensive display will make it all worthwhile. 

Any ideas if the game will definitely be on?

Having to get a train via Tamworth and weather means trains will be crawling along which means an early start and I'll be royally peeved if Derby leave it to the last minute to make the call

I've never fully understood the complete lack of respect teams show to the fans when it comes to weather call offs - We all know the weather is going to be shocking and the news has reported this for a week - Surely they can take a punt on a yes/no by now?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Any ideas if the game will definitely be on?

Having to get a train via Tamworth and weather means trains will be crawling along which means an early start and I'll be royally peeved if Derby leave it to the last minute to make the call

I've never fully understood the complete lack of respect teams show to the fans when it comes to weather call offs - We all know the weather is going to be shocking and the news has reported this for a week - Surely they can take a punt on a yes/no by now?

How much (money) would you be prepared to risk, merely on the say-so of a bloody weather man!  Potential ticket refunds.  Wasted food.  Staff wages.  Leccy bill.  Etc, etc.  It all mounts up!

The current (Beeb) forecast for 3pm tomorrow is an 83% chance of "light rain", and SSW gusts up to 48mph.  That's gusts, not constant.  

We may get rain all day, but no floods.  No waterlogged pitches, no roofs blowing around, and "a bit of a bugger to get there". 
Or we could get one particularly heavy downpour at 13:50 tomorrow, which leaves the pitch under 2 foot of water, the surrounding drains blocked, the roads/pavements flooded, the city gridlocked, the away team stuck on a coach just below Jct 28, and a gaping great hole in the South Stand Roof!

Hmmm. Shall I go shopping tomorrow?  Nah!  Easy decision.
Shall I bother going to the footy tomorrow?  Nah!  Easy decision.
Shall we call off tomorrow's game just in case, and not worry about costing the club tens of thousands, and disappointing 26,000 fans who were planning on giving it a go?  Yeah?  But what if it turns out to be "not as bad as they said it might be"!

Nobody knows at this stage whether the game will "definitely be on".

Chances are, if any decisions are to be made, they will not only be made tomorrow, but probably with only a matter of a couple of hours left before kick off.

I seriously hope that if it does get called off, and called off late, that DCFC don't get any accusing fingers pointed at them, with squeals of "Lack of respect towards supporters".

You (in the singular) of course, are free to make your decision today.  Hope you make the right one.

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

How much (money) would you be prepared to risk, merely on the say-so of a bloody weather man!  Potential ticket refunds.  Wasted food.  Staff wages.  Leccy bill.  Etc, etc.  It all mounts up!

I'd like to know what costs you think would be incurred if the game was postponed 48 hours in advance

Ticket refunds? Yeh, a few people will need them but the majority of our crowd weekly are season tickets

Food would stay in storage instead of coming out - Or if they get fresh deliveries they'd be able to cancel that 48 hours in advance

Staff wages wouldn't be paid if the shifts were cancelled (which is bad for them, but then I doubt anyone is maintaining a full time job as 1 day work every 2 weeks)

They wouldn't need to electricity if they cancelled 48 hours in advance

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Chances are, if any decisions are to be made, they will not only be made tomorrow, but probably with only a matter of a couple of hours left before kick off.

I seriously hope that if it does get called off, and called off late, that DCFC don't get any accusing fingers pointed at them, with squeals of "Lack of respect towards supporters".

If there's an overnight, unexpected deluge then no one can account for that - If there's a midwinter frost and everything is unexpectedly icy then no one can account for that

This isn't that - It's very easy to predict what the weather is going to be like - The exact same it was last weekend - So if they cancel what is the claim? They couldn't have predicted it? No one saw it coming? 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

The current (Beeb) forecast for 3pm tomorrow is an 83% chance of "light rain", and SSW gusts up to 48mph.  That's gusts, not constant.  

We may get rain all day, but no floods.  No waterlogged pitches, no roofs blowing around, and "a bit of a bugger to get there". 
Or we could get one particularly heavy downpour at 13:50 tomorrow, which leaves the pitch under 2 foot of water, the surrounding drains blocked, the roads/pavements flooded, the city gridlocked, the away team stuck on a coach just below Jct 28, and a gaping great hole in the South Stand Roof!

Hmmm. Shall I go shopping tomorrow?  Nah!  Easy decision.
Shall I bother going to the footy tomorrow?  Nah!  Easy decision.
Shall we call off tomorrow's game just in case, and not worry about costing the club tens of thousands, and disappointing 26,000 fans who were planning on giving it a go?  Yeah?  But what if it turns out to be "not as bad as they said it might be"!

Nobody knows at this stage whether the game will "definitely be on".

You (in the singular) of course, are free to make your decision today.  Hope you make the right one.

Roos

Bogle      Wisdom   Clarke   Lowe 

Bird Rooney 

Waghorn       Holmes      Lawrence 

Martin 

This is what I'd like to see but would like knight to get some time out there at some point.

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I'd like to know what costs you think would be incurred if the game was postponed 48 hours in advance

Ticket refunds? Yeh, a few people will need them but the majority of our crowd weekly are season tickets

Food would stay in storage instead of coming out - Or if they get fresh deliveries they'd be able to cancel that 48 hours in advance

Staff wages wouldn't be paid if the shifts were cancelled (which is bad for them, but then I doubt anyone is maintaining a full time job as 1 day work every 2 weeks)

If there's an overnight, unexpected deluge then no one can account for that - If there's a midwinter frost and everything is unexpectedly icy then no one can account for that

This isn't that - It's very easy to predict what the weather is going to be like - The exact same it was last weekend - So if they cancel what is the claim? They couldn't have predicted it? No one saw it coming? 

Your previous post hinted at having a confirmed and final decision (one way or the other) today ("I've never fully understood the complete lack of respect teams show to the fans when it comes to weather call offs - We all know the weather is going to be shocking and the news has reported this for a week - Surely they can take a punt on a yes/no by now?")

I took that as meaning approx. 24 hrs before kick off.  Now you're saying they should have made a decision yesterday?  Blimey!

What if they call it off today and it proves to be playable tomorrow?  Who complains then?  Yet another Saturday 3pm lost.  Yet another working week evening game to arrange.
What if they say it's definitely going ahead... and fans make travel plans accordingly... only for it to be an absolute humdinger tomorrow, and the powers that be decide it's too dangerous to go ahead, thus cancelling it at the 11th hour?

And then to cap it all, the club takes the rap for showing "disrespect to the fans"!  Ye Gads!

Did any games get cancelled due to the storm last Sunday?  Genuine question, I hasten to add.

The above video shows the weathermen don't always get things right, and more often than not (mainly due to that video) now err on the side of caution, predicting "the worst".

Don't get me wrong, I don't envy you having plans and decisions to make, what with distances and trains etc.  I don't deny I have it easy, as I only have  a 30 min walk, and even if the game goes ahead, I can make my own decision (whether to bother attending or not) as late as 14:20, as I decide whether to put my coat on or not!.
Nor am I claiming tomorrow could be balmy, calm, or downright scorchio.  Of course it could be grim.  It could be dangerous.  It could put lives in danger.  But the key word is "could". 
Surely it makes sense to at least wait until mid-morning tomorrow, before anyone makes the decision?
And if it does go ahead, remember not one single one of us are being forced to turn up to watch.

Your comments almost demanding some sort of commitment now... today... 24 hours before kick off... seems somewhat unreasonable in my opinion... In this instance.  Different if there's 3ft of snow already, and freezing overnight temps predicted, of course.

Let's see what tomorrow brings eh?  And we'll all keep our fingers crossed it goes well for the Rams... and the supporters.

?

Not fussed

Bogle      Wisdom       Clarke       Lowe or fozzy

Bird    

knight       Holmes      Rooney.     Lawrence (there’s no-one else)

Waghorn (Until we sign a superstar)

Subs 

davies, sibley, Whittaker, Martin, Marriott, a goalie, shonibare or jozefzoon

20 hours ago, cheron85 said:

http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/nsi

List of services performances today hopefully your train is ok, but bear in mind speed restrictions can be applied at any time due to wind or flooding of the track.

Think most clubs will always try and play the game if possible.

Archived