v Huddersfield Town (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

I am not sure what Cocu is trying to achieve with Bogle.

Dropping him and then publicly criticising him doesn’t seem like it will help matters.

As much as I am not a fan of Lampard for how he left, his man management of young players and rapport with them certainly made a positive difference.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jourdan said:

Dropping him and then publicly criticising him doesn’t seem like it will help matters.

As much as I am not a fan of Lampard for how he left, his man management of young players and rapport with them certainly made a positive difference.

At the time yes. But it doesn't seem to have lead to permanent improvement for some reason. 

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We're nowhere near as good without Duane Holmes, he's a vital part of the team.

When we first signed him Lampard said he would be an important player for Derby, after seeing him initially play out wide and look lightweight and lost I wasn't so sure. It turns out Frank Lampard knows more about football than I do, who'd have thought it?

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Should he keep him in despite the mistakes and tell him all will be okay? 

If he’s not listening to him privately what does he do? Just keep allowing it to happen?

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think the telling part in the interview was the suggestion that he is not listening to what he is being told.

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If he’s not listening to him privately what does he do? Just keep allowing it to happen?

I think the comment was about the publically criticising bit which I thought was totally unacceptable when Nigel Clough used to exhibit the same behaviour especially in the heat of a post match interview

My first game of the season.

Just got home...

Heres my thoughts:

we were pretty insipid.

Wisdom had their no 7 in his pocket all game.

We are so flat and lacking penetration at times. 

Lawrence is a confidence player.

Why do we always play it out from and across the back with no real idea of what to do with it?

We weren’t bad. We weren’t good either. Just kinda nothing.

Huddersfield just shut us down but we clearly had enough skill to undo that if we ran off the ball and created some impetus...but we didn’t 

Roos - won us a point with a fantastic save - shame they got one at the near post for his critics to feed on 

wisdom - played well and we missed him when he went off injured 

Davies  - we needed his height today 

clarke - did ok 

forsyth - defended properly 

bird - ok 

Rooney - ok

Holmes - we missed his pace when He went off injured 

Martin - very little to work with 

Waghorn - he does get that golden chance every game - didn’t score it 

Lawrence - missing in the first half great goal in the 2nd half 

subs

Shinnie - busy 

Marriott -  given a decent amount of time to get involved but didn’t 

Bogle - lost his place due to poor defending and sadly showed some more - but he’s still a young lad - learn 

58 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

His header was weak but there’s not much more he can do. He can’t control because then he’s pressed hard he can’t leave it otherwise the man gets the cross in. It’s Davies and Roos fault imo Davies for not making a challenge and Roos for doing a Roos. Bogle can’t tackle him because the man will dive and get the pen 

He can’t head it out for a throw?

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I thought PC was spot on, concentrate and defend, he is the RB. When there is an opportunity and cover from midfield, attack. He said that the coaches are trying to show him what is expected of his postion. If he gets it he will be some player. As a converted winger he can go forward just need a few tweaks defending. Last year he played with one of  the best LB ever, also a converted winger, he could do both attack and defend. Lets hope he picked up a few tips from Ashley Cole.

5 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

My first game of the season.

Just got home...

Heres my thoughts:

we were pretty insipid.

Wisdom had their no 7 in his pocket all game.

We are so flat and lacking penetration at times. 

Lawrence is a confidence player.

Why do we always play it out from and across the back with no real idea of what to do with it?

We weren’t bad. We weren’t good either. Just kinda nothing.

Huddersfield just shut us down but we clearly had enough skill to undo that if we ran off the ball and created some impetus...but we didn’t 

This is a great summary.

I'd add that without Holmes we were lacking in dynamism but Knight might have offered us that. The ref hated us but the crowd weren't on his back enough to let him know because the atmosphere was so flat, on and off the pitch. More urgency and drive from the players badly needed. More energy. I am sorry that by this point in the season we haven't properly integrated Sibley into the team. He needs minutes on the first team pitch to maintain his progression and would give us a genuine other goal threat from midfield.

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Perhaps he didn't the way bogle did not accept responsibility for the goal.  Not sure why he thought it was ok to have a pop at waggy.

16 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Why not? The psychology of every player is different.

Considering Bogle is 19 and only in his second full season of professional football, maybe he does still need some taking care of and reassuring? I know I would feel better if I was able to play my way back into form.

He is still a teenager and you can’t expect a teenager to react to a style of management in the same way a seasoned professional would.

And that’s not to say that Cocu’s man management of young players in general is poor. Who knows? He could be fantastic behind closed doors.

But maybe Bogle is the one where he needs to be more mindful of his approach.

Love to hear some actual footballing reasoning by those that have added the laughter reaction to my statement that wisdom is a better defender than bogle 

he is , plain and simple 

bogle is hugely talented and will play in the top flight probably not with us but at times this year defensively he has been a liability with and without the ball.

plain and simple

he hasn’t improved on last year fact  

Archived