Cocu In or Out?

Bubbles

Cocu in or Out?  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still don't have a ton of faith in him if I'm being honest, but it's impossible to sack anyone after such a good run. And even if we were still struggling, I think it's got to the stage of the season where it makes very little sense to change manager. We aren't likely to go up, we aren't going down (unless the EFL chuck a huge points deduction our way), so just continue plodding on and continue integrating the youngsters in the 1st team.

I've just gone back and had a look at what I posted around Christmas time and what my problems with him were ....

Players haven't improved under him - I think that was a fair point. I mean, judging by that thread about player of the season that was posted recently, people are picking their choice based off of the past month rather than the whole season. Rooney will obviously have played a key part in that (Holmes himself even mentioned he's improved because of Rooney), but it'd be unfair to not give Cocu any of the credit. 

Has only given young players a chance due to injuries and suspension - Might have been a tad harsh. Cocu was probably doing it for the benefit of the youngsters and not rushing them, but it wasn't half frustrating seeing Lowe dropped for Malone after good performances and youngsters not get a chance when near enough everyone was in poor form.

Strange team selections - He still confuses me with some of his team selections and substitutions, but he's now getting the results and performances to back up his decisions and shut people like me up.

Poor player discipline - Not totally the managers fault (but he surely plays a part), but it still seems like we're not far off seeing a red card every other game with the way our players lunge into tackles when they're frustrated or with how much they kick off at the referees. 

While I still hold the same slight doubts about his negative mentality that have done for a while, I don’t think anyone can deny that we’ve had a fairly significant turnaround since Christmas - and you have to credit a fair amount of that down to the manager. He’s definitely earned himself the time to show what he can do once he’s got his message fully across to our young talent coming through the ranks. He’s had to contend with a total mess of a season off the pitch, so he definitely deserves to be cut some slack. Hopefully over the next couple of months he can turn our shocking away form around and convince his few remaining doubters, like me, that he is the right man for the long term. 

Definitely Cocu In right now.

Cocu In.

He has had to deal with a never ending cycle of utter tripe and I've felt incredibly sorry for him. He came in looking like a Thunderbird on cloud 9 and within 3 months he looked like a Meth head off Breaking Bad.

I started to question him because he does like to tinker, he finds a winning team and then drops a random player that you would expect to be 1 of the first names on the team sheet, we were drifting down the table and I honestly had no faith that he could turn it around, league 1 beckoned for me.

However, since Rooney came in, our fortunes have changed, Cocu finally has at least 1 player that is able to do what he asks, younger players in turn are following. We are back in contention for the playoffs, 5th round of the FA Cup at home to United and we have gone from having a squad of players worth 5 quid between them, to having Lowe, Holmes, Bird, Knight and Bogle probably being the best part of 30 million between them.

I am starting to believe that give Cocu 3 years and finance aside, we could be playing United more than once a season.

I was Cocu out. 

People wouldn't blame him for our defeats, so how can he claim the credit for winning?

In my opinion, Rooney has been the catalyst to our success and I credit him for his on pitch performances and leadership. It's no coincedence that before he arrived we were the 17th worst team in the league and since he has arrived, before yesterday, we were the best team in the league.

Give Rooney a contract extension.

I'm still waiting for the "Shake it all about" option to appear!

So until then, take my vote, and shove it right up yer... Ooh look... There's a picture of an octopus with Phil's head on it... I wanna do that!  Paint... Paint... where the hell is it...    

43 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Poor player discipline - Not totally the managers fault (but he surely plays a part), but it still seems like we're not far off seeing a red card every other game with the way our players lunge into tackles when they're frustrated or with how much they kick off at the referees

A lot of it will be down to poor decisions we've been getting through out the season. 

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

A lot of it will be down to poor decisions we've been getting through out the season. 

Oh for sure, there's many peculiar decisions that have gone against us this season that will no doubt have angered the players, but they can't then take their frustrations out via bad tackles or towards the ref because it not only potentially costs us points during that game, but also hurts our chances in the coming games if we're missing players through suspension. There's 4 players this season in the Championship who've amassed 10 yellows meaning they got a suspension .... defensive midfielders Hutchinson and Hogg (both 10 yellows), full back Fisher (11 yellows) and winger Tom Lawrence (11 yellows). Pick the odd 1 out ?

To be fair, it's not something that I should use to pick fault with the manager, but at the time it just seemed like the players were so annoyed with how things were going that they lost their head regularly in games. 

37 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm still waiting for the "Shake it all about" option to appear!

So until then, take my vote, and shove it right up yer... Ooh look... There's a picture of an octopus with Phil's head on it... I wanna do that!  Paint... Paint... where the hell is it...    

It's a Squid ? 

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Oh for sure, there's many peculiar decisions that have gone against us this season that will no doubt have angered the players, but they can't then take their frustrations out via bad tackles or towards the ref because it not only potentially costs us points during that game, but also hurts our chances in the coming games if we're missing players through suspension. There's 4 players this season in the Championship who've amassed 10 yellows meaning they got a suspension .... defensive midfielders Hutchinson and Hogg (both 10 yellows), full back Fisher (11 yellows) and winger Tom Lawrence (11 yellows). Pick the odd 1 out ?

To be fair, it's not something that I should use to pick fault with the manager, but at the time it just seemed like the players were so annoyed with how things were going that they lost their head regularly in games. 

At times the players will feel like they are protecting themselves, as they get no protection from the ref. I also feel we have been harshly treated in quite a few games, Saturday being the latest example. 

The odd one out is Hutchinson, he should have at least double that. One of the dirtiest players I have ever seen. Honestly though, there has been quite a few harsh yellow cards for Lawrence, seems like he has picked up a reputation with referees for an easy booking.

Cocu out for me.

The team is progressing really well now, the incorporation of the academy players is going amazingly well and I strongly believe that Cocu is laying some strong foundations for a very successful period. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see us in the play offs this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we went up automatically next season. Very exciting times!

But I just love it when we change managers. It's dead exciting when someone new comes in. New ideas, new players, player fall outs... I love all that stuff. I want a big name though. Not Rooney, bored of him already.

Anyway pack your bags Cocu.

Archived