Playoff Hopefuls OR Young Champions of Europe

desirelines

Playoff Hopefuls OR Youth Champions of Europe  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

So, you're sayin' there's a chance!

Whoohoo!  I'm in!

Meh... the kids have got their whole careers ahead of 'em!  They'll be reet!

Those young players deserve to play in the Premier League. We need to get them there! 

You've convinced me, Mucker.

Play-offs. I joked about giving Bird, Bogle and Knight a rest from the first team to focus on the U19s Champions League, but getting into the play-offs at this stage would be huge. We would go into it, naturally, as the form team. The chance to get promoted knocking Forest and Leeds out would also be incredible. 

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Both obviously but faced with an either or I'd reluctantly agree with @Alpha's appraisal. Maybe the ideal scenario would be the Youth Cup this year and the Championship next year by which time Phil may have assembled the team he wants and one that can not only reach the Prem, but stay there.

I’ll be furious with them if they finally go up when I’m abroad for the year.

Anyone saying they’d rather see the U19s win in Europe more than us getting in the playoffs is a bullshitter !!! As if you would, you’re our just asking for likes 

First-team, has to be. 

Youth team success is nice and all but the end goal is about producing players for the first team. 

Results and trophies don’t necessarily mean that we’re producing a wave of quality players. It could be that they’re impeccably well coached, coached to results football, that players have already been drafted up the ranks (Knight and Bird for us, Gio Reyna for Dortmund) or that all the players are slightly better than their opposition as a whole without the one or two gems that will ultimately play first team football (yes, I know Sibley). 

An example would be the Leeds side that won the FA Youth Cup in 1993. They beat Man United in the final. The best career from that Leeds team was Noel Whelan’s. The United team contained both Neville brothers, Beckham, Scholes, Savage and Gillespie.

The UEFA Youth League would be a nice little accolade but it’s all about the first team.

We get into the playoffs all time - nothing special. If the option is only to get into the playoffs it's a no brainer - champions of Europe every time even if it is only the youth.

If it's winning the playoffs beating Forest and Leeds on the way though that's an entirely different story.

The u19 team becoming champions of Europe.  Success breeds success and lifting that trophy together will make them better players in a better team.  Furthermore i think the first team could use an extra season under Cocu to strengthen.

Youth team for me. Not even close call. 

Just think what a achievement it would be! As we are recruiting mostly for the youth team anyway, wouldn't make any harm to offer new players a place in the best youth team in the Europe, maybe even world. Also, for the development and confidence of the youth players are worth a lot.

Guaranteed benefits vs 25% chance to go up is no brainer really. 

I would be concerned if we won the under 19s European Cup on the basis that we would probably have our best players poached by bigger teams, its a no brainer for me it has to be playoffs, the youth team are a means  for the 1st team to improve so the 1st team always take priority, also they are good players anyway I doubt a European cup win would make much difference to their impact at Derby when they are already playing so well and will learn from Rooney when the better players start to train with the 1st team, and make squads.

I'm stunned anybody would say anything other than having a crack at the playoffs.

The entire purpose of having a strong academy is to filter good players into the first team and sell others who cannot quite make it.

The ones that do break in do so because they would give us a stronger chance to make the playoffs/get promoted.

Winning the Youth Cup in and of itself doesn't mean that any more of those player will go on to become top class than if they got knocked out in the quarters or semis.

It seems like a monumental roll of the dice to me.

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The entire purpose of having a strong academy is to filter good players into the first team and sell others who cannot quite make it.

The ones that do break in do so because they would give us a stronger chance to make the playoffs/get promoted.

Winning the Youth Cup in and of itself doesn't mean that any more of those player will go on to become top class than if they got knocked out in the quarters or semis.

It would be interesting to ask the U19 squad which they would rather, say, play a couple of times for the 1st team, or win the UEFA Youth Cup. (I'd hope they'd all say win the Cup.)

23 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Anyone saying they’d rather see the U19s win in Europe more than us getting in the playoffs is a bullshitter !!! As if you would, you’re our just asking for likes 

U19s for me every time? (based on we’ve got no chance of the playoffs now)

Archived