Best Full Backs in the League?

Ghost of Clough

I think you can take the WhoScored ratings with a pinch of salt, however the only player that is as consistent at home as he is away is Max Lowe. The rest score better at home, some substantially more - Matt Clarke being the main culprit, Jayden Bogle equally as guilty. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most clubs in this division can only dream of having two full backs as good as both Bogle and Lowe come through their academy. Yes they can be frustrating at times, but they will learn and improve. If not, we haven’t lost out on anything.

Think of all the ‘established championship’ full backs we have signed over the years and how, let’s be honest the majority have been dross. At least Lowe and Bogle can play with the ball at their feet and can be exciting to watch at times. We have far bigger problems in the middle of defence and goalkeeper! 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Lowe for that one. It was more of Hunt doing well to create space for himself, than it was Lowe not doing enough. Lowe still could have read play better, but he's not the main reason they scored.

Perhaps I am a little 

Itwas a horror show defensively 

one fully back didn’t stop the cross

then other one stood and watched as his man unchallenged knocked it back 

And finally they won the second header unchallenged from 6 yards out with wisdom and Clark in a different post code 

Just v disappointing and in isolation hightlighted why were not very good on the road 

it was just all not good enough from those involved 

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think you're being a bit harsh on Lowe for that one. It was more of Hunt doing well to create space for himself, than it was Lowe not doing enough. Lowe still could have read play better, but he's not the main reason they scored.

Ram tinted glasses on this one.

It was awful lazy defending, why was he even trying to block it with his right foot?

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No one?

Give us a chance.....

i don’t want to be too harsh on him. I want him to see him develop into a good player, but - with the best will in the world - he is nowhere near the accolade of best full back in the league. 

I feel he needs someone to push him.
When attacking he gets into advanced positions but then shows a lack of ambition. I want him to drive forward and deliver a decent cross. He has a great left foot. Unfortunately throughout the first half v Bristol  he passed sideways and backwards and it was not until  the 61st minute that he finally delivered. Result. Goal. Frank talked about the effort of making those extra yards and the cumulative effort that requires. He implied that some players aren’t prepared to do the extra yards and the extra work. Maybe max is reluctant because of fatigue or the worry about getting back to defend. But the result of his reluctance is that he isn’t contributing as much as he might in the final third. The icing on the cake would be to turn up in the box and contribute a few goals. Our best left backs Robson, Nish, Buckley, Powell all offered more in this regard. John robson was sold aged 22. Same age as max. He’s the benchmark for a 22 year old attacking full back, and so far Max is not at that level.

in terms of defending v the winger or full back, I would agree that it is unrealistic to expect every cross to be blocked at source, but sometimes he strolls out towards the attacker half heartedly with no real desire to block the cross. See leeds away last season. 
when he comes into central defence sometimes he seems to be caught ball watching. There are loads of examples of that. V Reading last season. V leeds at home last season. And watch the benkovic goal. As the ball comes over, benkovic steps away from him which gives him the extra yard of space to attack the ball and smash both the ball and max Lowe into the back of the net. He doesn’t seem to be one of those players who will throw themselves in the way and put their body on the line. 

however he is tidy.
He can be very comfortable in possession. Good passer.

He could even become the best full back in the league but it’s premature to start awarding such accolades just yet. 

I don’t see enough of other clubs full back to give a definitive view on them but those who have impressed at times are Roberts (Swansea); Robinson (Wigan); cash (duffers); Bryan (Fulham); coulson (boro); Henry (Brentford) and both leeds full backs have given us problems, but I would accept that they aren’t exactly orthodox full backs. 

47 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

Should this thread be changed to worst full backs in the league??

I mean... no. They’re a lot closer to being the best than being the worst. “Average” is about as bad a description as you could fairly level at them, and even that is harsh for me. They probably lack the consistency to be considered the very best, but our fullbacks are certainly up there still for me. Poor form/ poor mistakes doesn’t necessarily equal poor players.  

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I mean... no. They’re a lot closer to being the best than being the worst. “Average” is about as bad a description as you could fairly level at them, and even that is harsh for me. They probably lack the consistency to be considered the very best, but our fullbacks are certainly up there still for me. Poor form/ poor mistakes doesn’t necessarily equal poor players.  

Cocu pretty much summed up his thoughts on Bogle when he said if he listens he has the potential to have a very good career. I’m sure someone can repeat it more eloquently but in a nutshell going forward he has immense potential but defensively he still has to learn; the overriding word seemed to be “focus”. That’s Bogle, he needs to improve his awareness and be switched on. He’s more than average at 19, just making errors right now, that the coaching staff are trying to eradicate from his game.

He’ll be fine, if the boo boys don’t undermine his confidence and perhaps Cocu would like to take him out the fire a bit like he did with Knight. Let’s hope Wisdom’s injury not too serious.

27 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

According to Ramage after the match both Bogle and Lowe are 'miles away' from being competent full backs.  They're mentally weak, easily bullied, defensively poor and don't offer enough going forward.  At least we know now. 

Genuine question, but how wrong do u think he actually is?

i dont think he’s too far off the mark as they stand currently 

but they’re both hugely talented and young and will make mistakes, it’s part of their learning curve and development 

34 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

According to Ramage after the match both Bogle and Lowe are 'miles away' from being competent full backs.  They're mentally weak, easily bullied, defensively poor and don't offer enough going forward.  At least we know now. 

Yeah Ramage just goes to extremes all the time.

Ramage as a summariser is “miles away” from being competent. He’s mentally challenged, easily baffled, descriptively poor and doesn’t offer enough going off at a tangent all the time. Opinions eh ?

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question, but how wrong do u think he actually is?

i dont think he’s too far off the mark as they stand currently 

but they’re both hugely talented and young and will make mistakes, it’s part of their learning curve and development 

Young players are by and large inconsistent irrespective of their natural ability.  I'd say Bogle is in such a dip but I fully expect him to come back stronger.  I'd be fine if this was the general line took but Ramage didn't.  Calling a young player out as mentally weak is fairly disgraceful.

Lowe didn't even play for god's sake.  And don't even get me started on his assassination of Max Bird while failing to acknowledge he was the best player on the pitch.

Just now, Will Hughes Hair said:

Young players are by and large inconsistent irrespective of their natural ability.  I'd say Bogle is in such a dip but I fully expect him to come back stronger.  I'd be fine if this was the general line took but Ramage didn't.  Calling a young player out as mentally weak is fairly disgraceful.

Lowe didn't even play for god's sake.  And don't even get me started on his assassination of Max Bird while failing to acknowledge he was the best player on the pitch.

Oh for goodness sake. 

Archived