Best Full Backs in the League?

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest, Christie was a better player than Bogle. I find it strange people gave him much more grief for far less poor play. He seems to have a distinct can't be arsed attitude to tracking back when he loses the ball. Wisdoms natural default is to move into his usual position to cover this problem leaving Clarke on his own.  Track back ya lazy bum. At 19 you can run all day.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

45 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest, Christie was a better player than Bogle. I find it strange people gave him much more grief for far less poor play. He seems to have a distinct can't be arsed attitude to tracking back when he loses the ball. Wisdoms natural default is to move into his usual position to cover this problem leaving Clarke on his own.  Track back ya lazy bum. At 19 you can run all day.

I found Christie to be a liability more times than not. Bogle is an exciting prospect and a better footballer in my opinion. 

Thing that gets me is whilst they where clearly culpable in the goals tonight, they are still young and will make mistakes.

It wasn’t all down to them either, had we scored first it could have been a different result but we were not clinical in the final third for all our possession.

Let remember they are still learning their trade and will have off games. They are not the age of Malone or Forsyth and logically Cocu could still coach out some of their errors. Be prepared to give them more chances, even if it costs us sometimes. Great if we can improve on them but it would be harsh to ditch the raw talent we have without persevering at least another season too.

49 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Possibly in his first season. Christie’s performances really declined for some reason after that.

On 11/02/2020 at 12:02, RoyMac5 said:

Do they do similar stats for fullbacks who defend?

A point highlighted by last night 

both lowe and bogle are talented, hugely talented but quite simply put atm they have a truck load to Karen about defending

i think Last night highlighted we can’t play both of them away from home at this stage of their development. 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

A point highlighted by last night 

both lowe and bogle are talented, hugely talented but quite simply put atm they have a truck load to Karen about defending

i think Last night highlighted we can’t play both of them away from home at this stage of their development. 

No player on the pitch last night put in more tackles than Lowe (matched by Paterson), and only Clarke intercepted the ball more.

Blocking crosses is down to more than just the fullback - it requires the wingers to help out. Bristol clearly work on that part of the game, with their full backs and wingers working in tandem. The full back overlaps just as the winger cuts inside and drops off slightly, forcing our full back and winger to swap who they're marking and isolating play to FB vs FB but with the Bristol FB in enough space to put a ball in.

Put a dominant GK in there with two CBs who want to attack every ball in the air and we walk away with a clean sheet. The first goal wouldn't have been scored (Wisdom ball watching), a dominant GK or CB should have been clearing the corner away for the 2nd, and the 3rd also would have been cleared (Wisdom ball watching again). 

The problem for me with Bogle is you never know what he's going to do with the ball when he gets it.....his cross that hit the top of the bar last night was an example of a bad cross... it was not meant and was a waste....but going forward is his best attribute...should that be our full backs best attribute ?

He can't defend for toffee and doesn't learn from his mistakes ,his positional anticipation of defending the space is poor...look at goals conceded against Villa at wembley, Charlton away, Brizzle tonight and Forest just as a few examples of how his defending must improve if he is ever to progress as a player he scored a cracker against Stoke but if we could get a decent fee for him I'd let him leave and re-invest but just my opinion and not based purely on last nights game.

Lowe just hung a leg out for the cross for there first goal which was dissapointing as i beleive most fans on this forum would've put more effort in to stop the cross and was too easily beaten for me and again needs to improve.

Forsyth is a better more robust and better defender than Lowe especially in the air but it would cost a few bob to get full backs who are good defensively and attacking but for me if  they don't improve there defending we will always concede soft goals....i would be surprised if both Lowe and Bogle are our first choice full backs next season if they continue as they are presently.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No player on the pitch last night put in more tackles than Lowe (matched by Paterson), and only Clarke intercepted the ball more.

Blocking crosses is down to more than just the fullback - it requires the wingers to help out. Bristol clearly work on that part of the game, with their full backs and wingers working in tandem. The full back overlaps just as the winger cuts inside and drops off slightly, forcing our full back and winger to swap who they're marking and isolating play to FB vs FB but with the Bristol FB in enough space to put a ball in.

Put a dominant GK in there with two CBs who want to attack every ball in the air and we walk away with a clean sheet. The first goal wouldn't have been scored (Wisdom ball watching), a dominant GK or CB should have been clearing the corner away for the 2nd, and the 3rd also would have been cleared (Wisdom ball watching again). 

Agree regarding dominant CB's but Lowe's effort to stop the cross was poor as just hung a leg out and Bogle yet again not concentrating at back post meaning the BC player hooked it back into our six yard box where Wisdom was also not good enough....all 3 players were culpable for the first goal and Hamer does not fill me or the back 4 with confidence

I know some said that Benkovic would've been a pointless loan and I do get that but if we had a player of his size commanding our box i do beleive we wouldn't have conceded at least one maybe 2 of those goals last night

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Agree regarding dominant CB's but Lowe's effort to stop the cross was poor as just hung a leg out and Bogle yet again not concentrating at back post meaning the BC player hooked it back into our six yard box where Wisdom was also not good enough....all 3 players were culpable for the first goal and Hamer does not fill me or the back 4 with confidence

I know some said that Benkovic would've been a pointless loan and I do get that but if we had a player of his size commanding our box i do beleive we wouldn't have conceded at least one maybe 2 of those goals last night

Given the Benkovic scored one they definitely wouldn't have had that if he was on our side.

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:

The problem for me with Bogle is you never know what he's going to do with the ball when he gets it.....his cross that hit the top of the bar last night was an example of a bad cross... it was not meant and was a waste....but going forward is his best attribute...should that be our full backs best attribute ?

He can't defend for toffee and doesn't learn from his mistakes ,his positional anticipation of defending the space is poor...look at goals conceded against Villa at wembley, Charlton away, Brizzle tonight and Forest just as a few examples of how his defending must improve if he is ever to progress as a player he scored a cracker against Stoke but if we could get a decent fee for him I'd let him leave and re-invest but just my opinion and not based purely on last nights game.

Bogle's still only 19 and is still on a steep learning curve.

Let's compare Bogle with the only other FBs 19 or under in the Championship...
Aerials - Only Ferguson (West Brom) and Buchanan have a better win %
Tackles - Ferguson, Sessegnon (Fulham), Spence (Boro) and Ludewig (Barsnley, 2 tackles in 1 game) have a better success rate
Interceptions - Only Ludewig (1 game) intercepts more often
Fouls - Only Buchanan and Ferguson are fouled more often. Ferguson and Urhoghide (Wednesday) commit more fouls.
Clearances - Only Ferguson and Urhoghide clear more often
Blocks - Only Buchanan and Seessegnon block more shots. Spence, Buchanan, Ludewig, Sessegnon and Urhoghide block more crosses. Buchanan, Ferguson and Spence block more passes

Offensively, Bogle is the most dominant. Ignore age, and Bogle's still a top 6 FV offensively, but a below average one defensively. At just 19 years old, there's plenty of time for Bogle to improve.

Lowe just hung a leg out for the cross for there first goal which was dissapointing as i beleive most fans on this forum would've put more effort in to stop the cross and was too easily beaten for me and again needs to improve.

Still only 22 so still time to improve. Even then, from those who have played at least 10 games at FB, Lowe places 9th for stopping crosses

Forsyth is a better more robust and better defender than Lowe especially in the air but it would cost a few bob to get full backs who are good defensively and attacking but for me if  they don't improve there defending we will always concede soft goals....i would be surprised if both Lowe and Bogle are our first choice full backs next season if they continue as they are presently.

Forsyth would have been skinned time and time again last night - nowhere near quick enough to keep up with Eliasson.
As I've shown in other threads, Lowe is arguably the most complete FB in the division. With a bit of patience and encouragement, Bogle could be too. Both will continue to be our first choice FBs going forward.

Not sure how this thread has got to 4 pages - I'll boil it down into some facts so you guys can close it down ?

We have some very good fullbacks - Lowe and Bogle especially so

Malone, Fozzy and Malone would walk into more than half the teams in the league - And they're our backups...

Christie was (and is) a very good fullback - But not as good as Bogle

I would very much like to think they have Bogle on the training pitch every afternoon putting in crosses - He used to be terrible at it and is getting much much better - Maybe keep Fozzy around as a crossing coach for both Lowe and Bogle?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bogle's still only 19 and is still on a steep learning curve.

Let's compare Bogle with the only other FBs 19 or under in the Championship...
Aerials - Only Ferguson (West Brom) and Buchanan have a better win %
Tackles - Ferguson, Sessegnon (Fulham), Spence (Boro) and Ludewig (Barsnley, 2 tackles in 1 game) have a better success rate
Interceptions - Only Ludewig (1 game) intercepts more often
Fouls - Only Buchanan and Ferguson are fouled more often. Ferguson and Urhoghide (Wednesday) commit more fouls.
Clearances - Only Ferguson and Urhoghide clear more often
Blocks - Only Buchanan and Seessegnon block more shots. Spence, Buchanan, Ludewig, Sessegnon and Urhoghide block more crosses. Buchanan, Ferguson and Spence block more passes

Offensively, Bogle is the most dominant. Ignore age, and Bogle's still a top 6 FV offensively, but a below average one defensively. At just 19 years old, there's plenty of time for Bogle to improve.

Still only 22 so still time to improve. Even then, from those who have played at least 10 games at FB, Lowe places 9th for stopping crosses

Forsyth would have been skinned time and time again last night - nowhere near quick enough to keep up with Eliasson.
As I've shown in other threads, Lowe is arguably the most complete FB in the division. With a bit of patience and encouragement, Bogle could be too. Both will continue to be our first choice FBs going forward.

I agree with patience GOC but only if they are learning ....19 or not Bogle makes the same errors as he did last season so how patient shall we remain ?

I disagree regarding Forsyth and don't think he would've been skinned as easily as you suggest....in the first half Lowe was poor

I don't look at stats so much especially when judging a players ability and  anticipation , positional sense etc.....How long would you give Bogle for example to improve what he is supposed to do.....defend....because I don't see any improvement from last season. Im all for keeping players who are improving but 19 or not he's got a lot to learn and has cost us quite a few goals this season....a commanding CB and  decent keeper will help our fragile defence for sure as well but one thing is for sure...a decent back 4 and keeper and we'd have won that last night 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I hear what your saying but Watch the first goal buddy

it was a straight one on one and lowe was no where near stopping the cross 

he gets a hell of a lot tighter than bogle does and for me defensively is possible a bit better but for me bogle has been so inconsistent this year within games and lowe isn’t far behind. 

im not for one second insinuating they’re the cause of it as it’s a team game but for me half the reason we’re so inept on the road where y have to stand up and be strong mentally and physically is becomes we have two albeit talented but rather flakey defensively full backs 

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I hear what your saying but Watch the first goal buddy

it was a straight one on one and lowe was no where near stopping the cross 

he gets a hell of a lot tighter than bogle does and for me defensively is possible a bit better but for me bogle has been so inconsistent this year within games and lowe isn’t far behind. 

im not for one second insinuating they’re the cause of it as it’s a team game but for me half the reason we’re so inept on the road where y have to stand up and be strong mentally and physically is becomes we have two albeit talented but rather flakey defensively full backs 

I think you're being a bit harsh on Lowe for that one. It was more of Hunt doing well to create space for himself, than it was Lowe not doing enough. Lowe still could have read play better, but he's not the main reason they scored.

3 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Fans of virtually every club in this league would disagree with you.Bogle has made horrendous mistakes this season. You sound incredibly biased.

Fans of other teams will always covet opposition players, and see the hype rather than the reality.  Bogle has made enough of an impact that I think fans of any team in our division would have him. 

Archived