Best Full Backs in the League?

Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

We're fortunate to be blessed with really good options at fullback. Lowe and Bogle as the first choice are the best fullbacks that I can think of in this league.

Fans of virtually every club in this league would disagree with you.Bogle has made horrendous mistakes this season. You sound incredibly biased.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Patrick Rams said:

Fans of virtually every club in this league would disagree with you.Bogle has made horrendous mistakes this season. You sound incredibly biased.

Every fullback has made a horrendous mistake this season. It's the Championship. Bogle has been eyed up by Premier League clubs for a reason. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a simple question - do we have the best attacking full back pairing in the league?

Two of the most important attributes for an attacking full back are dribbling and crossing.

The graph below compares the crossing and dribbles of every full back in the league. The number of crosses/dribbles per 90, as well as success rate were considered. In an ideal scenario, you'd want to be in the top right corner. To be included, the following applies

• minimum 10 successful dribbles
  • minimum 5 accurate crosses this season
  • stats only count when playing in that position
  • sub apps not counted
  • at least 900 minutes played

image.thumb.png.3c7bc557997ea96684b0d308dfba44b0.png

We're the only club to have two players in the top right quadrant, sharing the feat with only 2 other players. Remarkably, we aren't far off having a third player in this group (Malone).

que GIF

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The same graph but with defensive duties given priority - tackles, interceptions, headers?

Tackles vs Interceptions, Blocks and Clearances

image.thumb.png.719740e8386d29b6bb5327c54f139886.png

Tackles vs Headers

image.thumb.png.a8a524f50b26da4e9cd726525feb8b17.png

Players must be:
- Top 50 for successful tackles
- Top 50 for interceptions
- Top 50 for clearances
- Top 50 for headers won
- only stats from games at FB count
- sub apps don't count

Fozzy is our best all round left back, his defending is by far the best at the club, delivery of a ball is still class and this time he has come back from his injury he seems to be running freely whereas before I always thought he was holding back because of previous injuries. His know how and experience is also important. 

That’s not to say I don’t rate Lowe I think he’s a class act but Fozzys experience just helps us stay solid.  

Bogle is probably the best attacking fullback in the league but can be very suspect and naïve defensively, I would agree that Lowe is one of the best all round fullbacks, he is not quite as good as Bogle going forward but still decent and he seems a lot more solid on most occasions. I still think Bogle is more of a winger as evident by his goal vs Stoke and his dribbling but as long as we win I don't care how many we concede.

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

Fozzy is our best all round left back, his defending is by far the best at the club, delivery of a ball is still class and this time he has come back from his injury he seems to be running freely whereas before I always thought he was holding back because of previous injuries. His know how and experience is also important. 

That’s not to say I don’t rate Lowe I think he’s a class act but Fozzys experience just helps us stay solid.  

By far the best”? I’m struggling to see that. 

Tackles - completes 15% more tackles per 90 than Lowe, but has a worse success rate than Wisdom, Malone and Lowe. 
Heading - Wins fewer headers per 90 than Lowe and Wisdom. Also has a worse success rate than Buchanan and Wisdom. 
Interceptions - Intercepts less often than Lowe. 
Clearances - Fewer than Wisdom and marginally worse than Lowe. 

Overall, I’d rank him statistically as our 2nd best.

1E25BEA0-DED5-4DD8-912F-3DCF8B729FC5.thumb.jpeg.e98821a78aadb125f8069b7a99c33972.jpeg

Based on this ranking system we get:   
1. Lowe
2. Forsyth 
3. Bogle
4. Wisdom
5. Buchanan
6. Malone

Data is limited for Wisdom, Forsyth and Buchanan due to so few minutes being played at FB in the league this season. 

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

By far the best”? I’m struggling to see that. 

Tackles - completes 15% more tackles per 90 than Lowe, but has a worse success rate than Wisdom, Malone and Lowe. 
Heading - Wins fewer headers per 90 than Lowe and Wisdom. Also has a worse success rate than Buchanan and Wisdom. 
Interceptions - Intercepts less often than Lowe. 
Clearances - Fewer than Wisdom and marginally worse than Lowe. 

Overall, I’d rank him statistically as our 2nd best.

1E25BEA0-DED5-4DD8-912F-3DCF8B729FC5.thumb.jpeg.e98821a78aadb125f8069b7a99c33972.jpeg

Based on this ranking system we get:   
1. Lowe
2. Forsyth 
3. Bogle
4. Wisdom
5. Buchanan
6. Malone

Data is limited for Wisdom, Forsyth and Buchanan due to so few minutes being played at FB in the league this season. 

Statistically Blackman and Butterfield looked great signings. 

Forsyth would be in everyday for me due to the experience he brings he defends better and his delivery is always dangerous.

lowe is great but look at the way he got sent off at Luton... you don’t get that type of nativity with Forsyth and I think when you have the mix of Bogle Clarke inexperienced and Fozzy Wisdom experienced you get our best back 4. 

Archived