Best Full Backs in the League?

Ghost of Clough

It's a simple question - do we have the best attacking full back pairing in the league?

Two of the most important attributes for an attacking full back are dribbling and crossing.

The graph below compares the crossing and dribbles of every full back in the league. The number of crosses/dribbles per 90, as well as success rate were considered. In an ideal scenario, you'd want to be in the top right corner. To be included, the following applies

• minimum 10 successful dribbles
  • minimum 5 accurate crosses this season
  • stats only count when playing in that position
  • sub apps not counted
  • at least 900 minutes played

image.thumb.png.3c7bc557997ea96684b0d308dfba44b0.png

We're the only club to have two players in the top right quadrant, sharing the feat with only 2 other players. Remarkably, we aren't far off having a third player in this group (Malone).

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a simple question - do we have the best attacking full back pairing in the league?

Two of the most important attributes for an attacking full back are dribbling and crossing.

Do they do similar stats for fullbacks who defend?

Lowe and Bogle are good players at this level, perhaps even very good. Both are good defenders too, let's not diminish that part of their game. I don't think there are many players in the league that have made as many tackles as Lowe this season, nevermind full backs. I think they're players we should look to build around. 

Surprising when Bogle hasn't had as good a season as last year and Lowe started the season at right back covering for injuries, then went on to play 2nd fiddle to Malone for a while until he finally got a chance. Although, a lot of their good attacking statistics probably comes down to the fact we barely have any wingers so they need to do the winger's job as well as their own half the time.

It's really nice to see though. We've probably got a good 25 million + in value should they be sold anytime soon, which will certainly be useful for FFP in the future. And it wouldn't surprise me to see Ebosele step up to the first team and fill Bogle's boots if he does end up leaving. 

I think Bogle and Lowe are good going forward but need to improve defensively.

Wisdom very good defender not as good going forward. 

Forsyth amazing after his injuries and playing really well.  

Malone has done well also 

We are blessed with options in this department 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

We're fortunate to be blessed with really good options at fullback. Lowe and Bogle as the first choice are the best fullbacks that I can think of in this league.

Almost certainly in an attacking sense. Lowe does well defensively too (15th most interceptions and 5th most successful tackles). In fact, Lowe's tackle success (85.2%) is higher than almost any other full back in this league. Jaden Brown has 88% with 22 tackles (Lowe has 75). All others with a higher % have made fewer than 20 tackles, leaving them outside the top 50 full backs for total tackles.

Love watching Bogle. When he's in form you can't understand why he is at Derby.  Even out of form you still see the magic feet.

I think Forsyth could push Lowe. Forsyth is an underrated monster when he's in full flow. His crossing and his powerful passes through midfield into strikers are great weapons. 

Think Lowe just shows naive moments but offers so much to compensate it. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Love watching Bogle. When he's in form you can't understand why he is at Derby.  Even out of form you still see the magic feet.

I think Forsyth could push Lowe. Forsyth is an underrated monster when he's in full flow. His crossing and his powerful passes through midfield into strikers are great weapons. 

Forsyth is also going to be 31 before the months out and had a host of ACL injuries... so yeah, he is, but he isn't the future.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Forsyth is also going to be 31 before the months out and had a host of ACL injuries... so yeah, he is, but he isn't the future.

I think Forsyth has been a revelation since his injuries 

I would definitely give him another contract .

He is also versatile 

47 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah... it’s a shame they tend to be to the opposition strikers though

Archived