The Rooney Effect!

Rams-in-Spain

I have to be honest and say I did not expect Rooney to have such a big impact for us. In real terms he has been simply amazing! This makes me think of other players who have come to Derby towards the end of their career such as John Gregory and Dave Mackay. 

Rooney certainly does not have the mobility he once had but its amazing to see how his football brain gives him time. Also of course he's vastly improving those around him. 

John Gregory also oozed skill and quality as did Dave Mackay. I think from the 3, as its early days for Rooney yet I'd stick Mackay as top of the 3 simply for what we achieved whilst he played for us. 

I wonder if Rooney will follow in the mould of Mackay and eventually manage us. I've never really thought of Rooney as a manager but perhaps I'm wrong. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rams-in-Spain said:

John Gregory also oozed skill and quality as did Dave Mackay. I think from the 3, as its early days for Rooney yet I'd stick Mackay as top of the 3 simply for what we achieved whilst he played for us. 

I wonder if Rooney will follow in the mould of Mackay and eventually manage us

Have you forgotten that Gregory also managed us?

I would dearly love that to form a natural progression, for him to stay with us whilst Cocu completes the transition and then the student continue the legacy program.

With all this happening without his head be turned and screwing things up.

Smacks of fantasy island I know but “one never knows one’s luck in a big city”

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I only ever knew Gregory as a pretty crap manager. Didn’t realise he was such an influential player. 

He wasn't - he was a good player for us in a very average side. Don't get me wrong, he was worth his place but I wouldn't say he turned us around. Arthur did that by fixing it at both ends - McClaren (Ross, not Schteve) and Hindmarch at the back, Bobby and the painter at the front. We had a pretty impressive midfiled with the likes of Micklewhite and Gregory was a good part of that. But he wasn't Mackay, Stimac or Wright in terms of the step change he brought to the team.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

He wasn't - he was a good player for us in a very average side. Don't get me wrong, he was worth his place but I wouldn't say he turned us around. Arthur did that by fixing it at both ends - McClaren (Ross, not Schteve) and Hindmarch at the back, Bobby and the painter at the front. We had a pretty impressive midfiled with the likes of Micklewhite and Gregory was a good part of that. But he wasn't Mackay, Stimac or Wright in terms of the step change he brought to the team.

He definitely turned us around and played a major role in getting us back in the top flight. But that's football isn't it? We all have our own opinion ?

20 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Gregory was pure class. I couldn't understand why a player like that would come and play for us.

He came down to the third division so his qualities were very evident - he did very well for us - not so much as when he was manager 

I was not negative about Rooney joining but I was not as impressed as some on here obviously were.

My issue was that I have never thought of Rooney as unselfish or a giver.

In the worse case I thought he could end up, up front waiting for service which would never come. Maybe even chastising colleagues for not getting it to him.

However, I am very very grateful to be totally wrong.

I think he has used his experience to see how he can best help the team (Cocu might deserve some of the credit for this too) but the way he is trying to dominate games while bringing his teammates into play has been inspiring to watch - I can only imagine how inspiring for the youngsters getting pick to play with him.

One of my favourite moments was when he lost possession against Stoke (I think) and Max Bird got us out of the hole, and Rooney applauded him - how good must Max have felt at that moment....

Bravo Wayne Rooney - sorry I had any doubts, keep up all the good work and I hope you can accomplish all your dreams here including scoring the winner in a 5-4 classic to knock Man Utd out of the FA Cup.

• 1 month later...

Interesting article about The virus mostly, Bojo lack of leadership with crisis, not really happy about playing and the fact that even though Leicester had 3 players affected the FA did not do anything as soon as it is Arteta and a big club The decision is rushed taken. He repeats Gary Neville suggestion for PL to help FL financially

Archived