Player of the Season?

Rams-in-Spain

Yes I know its very early days but if you had to pick your player of the Season (so far) who would it be? 

For me it's between Max Bird, Duane Holmes, or Wayne Rooney. I'd have to go for Wayne Rooney not just for what he's done but also for how he's seems to be influencing the whole team!

To all the older members of this forum can you remember how John Gregory did a similar sort of job when he came to Derby although I'm not saying he was in the same class as Rooney?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s not exactly been a great season prior to this run of form, so there’s not a long list of names in contention for me. I’d struggle to give it to any forward player involved in our impotent attack before the new year, so in terms of players who’ve been regulars in the side it’s between Clarke and Davies for me, for consistency of performance. However, I would add that the difference Rooney has made since he’s joined has Been clear for all to see. The difference in our attacking threat is almost unbelievable. If he keeps this up then he has to be well in contention too. I’d also controversially mention Shinnie in this conversation as well - in that run of 6/7 games before he got injured he was an absolute monster. If he comes back and shows those kind of performances again then he’s got an outside chance for me.

But overall, I think there’s only one man who deserves it if our turnaround in form continues. And that’s Wayne Rooney.

It feels like our season has only just got going. 

But Duane Holmes... when he plays well then stuff gets done. We are so much better when he plays well it's like he's more than one man sometimes.

Got some love for Clarke too. I think he's had a tough season but now fills a huge hole. 

Knight has established himself. 

And even Waghorn. He's got a pooh first touch and can be horribly clumsy. But he always chucks himself into everything. If Waghorn makes a mess of 9 situations in 10 then he will still get results purely because he never shies away. I know he frustrates but without him we'd rely on Martin (we have often needed someone to chase and graft because we've played poor) or Marriott (part time hours). 

Duane Holmes though. ?

Just to add, I think Rooney is the key to everything but because he's miles better than everyone else at football it seems too easy. I would say he has been a buff for many players so he has played a massive role in the improvement.

But I'd rather it go to one of the best players to benefit from his inclusion.  

If the first half of the season had continued with similar performance levels from everyone, it would have been "the fans", 100%.

With our season of competent performances only starting on January 1st; we don't have a lot of games to go on.

I'd say Holmes leads the way, with Lawrence not far behind, and Rooney, Bird making up the rest of the pack. 

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It feels like our season has only just got going. 

But Duane Holmes... when he plays well then stuff gets done. We are so much better when he plays well it's like he's more than one man sometimes.

Got some love for Clarke too. I think he's had a tough season but now fills a huge hole. 

Knight has established himself. 

And even Waghorn. He's got a pooh first touch and can be horribly clumsy. But he always chucks himself into everything. If Waghorn makes a mess of 9 situations in 10 then he will still get results purely because he never shies away. I know he frustrates but without him we'd rely on Martin (we have often needed someone to chase and graft because we've played poor) or Marriott (part time hours). 

Duane Holmes though. ?

Completely agree with your points. 

I do think Waghorn gets a bit of unfair stick at times and I always find it strange how it seems that if he misses a chance it's because he's crap but if Mariott misses a chance it's "He's getting in the right positions but needs more game time" despite the fact that Waghorn has been the far more clinical of the two this season. Sure Waghorn is rough around the edges but ultimately he's our most reliable striker at the minute, will highly likely go on to be our top scorer this season  and quite probably end up on a tally of 15-20 this season. All the while being able to play anywhere across the front line. He isn't the type of player you build a squad around but is always going to do a job when he plays and is the type of player you need to round out your squad.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If the first half of the season had continued with similar performance levels from everyone, it would have been "the fans", 100%.

With our season of competent performances only starting on January 1st; we don't have a lot of games to go on.

I'd say Holmes leads the way, with Lawrence not far behind, and Rooney, Bird making up the rest of the pack. 

13 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

He's had good games throughout the whole of January, imo.

And imo he's been a huge issue with our team for a year and a half before that. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

He's had good games throughout the whole of January, imo.

And imo he's been a huge issue with our team for a year and a half before that. 

He certainly has, but I wouldn't rate his performances from January onward higher than Bird or Rooney (and maybe even Clarke). And over the season as a whole he'd probably be down in 6 or 7th best performer for me. Great to see him improving though ... let's just hope he can keep it up and add some consistency to his game.

As for my pick, it'd be either Rooney who has changed our team entirely and improved everyone around him, or someone who people seem to be overlooking because he's not featured a lot during out upturn in form, Max Lowe. Started the season putting in good performances at right back because of Wisdom and Bogle's injuries and then kicked Malone out of the team because of how well he played when he got his chance. 

Archived