v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

20 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If we are found guilty of breaking any rules and providing any points deduction is on par with other 'first offenders' (i.e. no more than 9), my greater concern would be a transfer ban of one window, meaning this Summer. It would put Cocu in a straitjacket as far as improving the squad and moulding it into playing the system he wants - at least we know, barring a serious injury, we have a new central defender coming in for next season - the EFL can't take that away from us no matter how much they might want to!

Thank god we have the best academy In the whole wide world, probably

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Curtains said:

If you think the Academy is the answer in isolation to get us promoted that’s fine. 

I don't .

But for Rooney we would be doing worse and he only has one more season maximum IMO 

PS If we get a points deduction it will most likely be next season 

I don’t think that’s the point though.

A couple of years back .. no Bird, Knight, Holmes, Lowe, Bogle - the youth and talent we have seen “arrive” is amazing

It is true that we are very lucky to have Rooney to glue it together 

we have been equally unlucky to lose Keogh and Bielik 

Get Jack regularly fit and firing,  a quality centre back of middling years, the same again on a flank and a resolution of the GK issue and we will be serious contenders. But it is the new youth that will make this possible. Departures will make space for newcomers. 

From where we are now we can plot a course .. 18 months ago (EFL problems or not) we were just rolling in the swell without a compass

13 hours ago, Curtains said:

If you think the Academy is the answer in isolation to get us promoted that’s fine. 

I don't .

But for Rooney we would be doing worse and he only has one more season maximum IMO 

Think you are being purposely blind in order to bash Morris and the club ,,it’s not about one or the other , the investment in academy started right away and is long term ,it ran alongside the big spending to try to get us up and the impression I get is that it will continue no matter what division we are in or how we are having to cut our cloth re first team/ biggish buying and in my view is a very sensible long term policy 

2 hours ago, jono said:

What with 3 top class loaners and an aging squad on eye watering wages ? I don’t think so 

18 months ago Tomori had just made his debut. A debut even 50p head Davis would have been ashamed of. He developed into a top class player, but wasn't anywhere near one at the time. Wilson's season didn't kick off until October and also had little impact in the games he played 18 months ago.

We had just finished a transfer window in which several players on massive wages departed - Vydra, Weimann, Shackell, Jerome, Bent, Baird. We also loaned out Butterfield and Blackman to reduce the wage bill further.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18 months ago Tomori had just made his debut. A debut even 50p head Davis would have been ashamed of. He developed into a top class player, but wasn't anywhere near one at the time. Wilson's season didn't kick off until October and also had little impact in the games he played 18 months ago.

We had just finished a transfer window in which several players on massive wages departed - Vydra, Weimann, Shackell, Jerome, Bent, Baird. We also loaned out Butterfield and Blackman to reduce the wage bill further.

I wasn’t being chronologically analytical about a precise month .. just contrasting the end of Rowett and the Lampard journey with where we are now. The essence of my point is I think more than valid. I am far more optimistic about the medium term future (EFL issue aside) than over the last couple of years. We were big noisy and had some clout but it felt like a street hot rod at times rather than something with deeper engineering integrity. 

On 13/02/2020 at 19:22, Curtains said:

I don't .

Yes that is the reality. The group coming through the academy could perhaps all flourish....or maybe just one individual makes it. Totally unknown quantity. But, that's what the manager is left to work with and, he really does have his work cut out. Could argue that with the likelihood of points deduction next season rather than the current one, Cocu has another free hit (as long as we start ok and steer clear of bottom 3)

8 hours ago, europia said:

Yes that is the reality. The group coming through the academy could perhaps all flourish....or maybe just one individual makes it. Totally unknown quantity. But, that's what the manager is left to work with and, he really does have his work cut out. Could argue that with the likelihood of points deduction next season rather than the current one, Cocu has another free hit (as long as we start ok and steer clear of bottom 3)

Thing we’ve learned from the last few years is big money signings may flourish, they may bomb out

Went down Bristol wednesday so thought I’d read match thread.Wow the amount of negativity on here towards the Derby players ,the team and the performance is just embarrassing.Glad them same fans stayed at home well away from supporting our team with there dross.3 points from last 2 away games and they complain and moan.

we will see them same fans at Man U know doubt

4 minutes ago, dcfc4ever said:

Went down Bristol wednesday so thought I’d read match thread.Wow the amount of negativity on here towards the Derby players ,the team and the performance is just embarrassing.Glad them same fans stayed at home well away from supporting our team with there dross.3 points from last 2 away games and they complain and moan.

we will see them same fans at Man U know doubt

If you don't mind me saying, you've appear to have made the classic mistake of comparing an on-line football forum... an entity set up specifically for football fans to air their thoughts, opinions, and summaries... with a football stadium, designed primarily to host a football match, but also to house those individuals who wish to attend and support/encourage their favoured team.

Two totally different entities.

However, you aren't the first, and undoubtedly won't be the last, to make such a mistake.  Like I say, it's a classic.  ?

15 hours ago, Archied said:

Thing we’ve learned from the last few years is big money signings may flourish, they may bomb out

I imagine most managers would have to admit to the big money signing mistake. Thing is we've signed some bad managers, who have gone on to sign some rubbish players....

Archived