v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We conceded the 2nd and 3rd goals because we are a CB short. Davies is slow and can't pass. Wisdom struggles in the air, Lowe and Bogle are attacking full backs almost wing backs. Forsyth can't play Saturday Wednesday Saturday. We had to try and get a CB in on the cheap. The EFL charge fooked up the investment. Keogh didn't put a seat belt on.   

None of this is Cocu's fault. 

Rooney has transformed us from a lower table team to a upper-mid table team but you can't expect top 6 with one fully working CB. Enjoy the better football and some victories but it is what it is. We will finish 9th to 12th with the basis of a good and partly youthful team with a chance of play offs next year if some physicality is added.   

7 minutes ago, sage said:

We conceded the 2nd and 3rd goals because we are a CB short. Davies is slow and can't pass. Wisdom struggles in the air, Lowe and Bogle are attacking full backs almost wing backs. Forsyth can't play Saturday Wednesday Saturday. We had to try and get a CB in on the cheap. The EFL charge fooked up the investment. Keogh didn't put a seat belt on.   

Rooney has transformed us from a lower table team to a upper-mid table team but you can't expect top 6 with one fully working CB. Enjoy the better football and some victories but it is what it is. We will finish 9th to 12th with the basis of a good and partly youthful team with a chance of play offs next year if some physicality is added.   

Agree pretty much, hopefully te Wierik is part of the solution. I'll just add that it would be nice to remain in the hunt going into the last few games, even if it is an outside shot, just to keep the season from petering out and being pointless.

The opening half an hour was like fine art - beautiful to look at but not that exciting.

But I really enjoyed it because it shows how far we have come and where we are heading.

Defending was poor, but Bristol's attacks seemed a bit like our Kryptonite to be honest - chuck it in the mixer and see where it bounces about to.

To dominate a game like that with several not performing up to their own standards, Bogle, Holmes, Wisdom, Lawrence is quite impressive.

Max Bird is excellent and to be honest is rate of improvement is phenomenal. A month ago I would have had him behind Knight - now he may well be the first name on the teamsheet. Unfortunately if he keeps this rate of progress up I see him being a £20M to £30M premiership player next season.

Cocu was interesting tonight - I read on here that some think he left his one sub too late - I kind of agree, but I think the way we were playing it always looked like we might get back into it.

Not impressed by the ref - hope he watches it back and has a word with himself. He let himself down.

Overall possibly the most I have ever enjoyed a defeat, I would rather be us than Bristol City after that

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Agree pretty much, hopefully te Wierik is part of the solution. I'll just add that it would be nice to remain in the hunt going into the last few games, even if it is an outside shot, just to keep the season from petering out and being pointless.

and keep the cup run going

Surprised that the likes of Marriott didn't come on earlier, however we were dominating the game, playing fluent offensive football and looked the more likely to score. So perhaps Cocu  didn't want to risk upsetting the momentum of the team.Easy to criticise after the game but thought we played some great football and were unlucky to lose.

Think it was a bit like kids football last night

You can play all the pretty football you like but eventually the bigger and stronger team will realise you’re all fart no poo and start lumping balls into the box. It’s only when we became more streetwise and did the same that we really troubled them.

Think if we’d got the penalty we’d have at least drawn the game but ultimately you cannot defend like children and expect to do anything

I disagree that our football was too pretty or that we weren't potent enough up front.

We were just out muscled at corners. There are some other improvements needed.

Lowe needs to get closer to the crosser. Holmes didn't affect the game till after their 3rd goal and lawrence regressed back to losing the ball and poor decision making.

However most of the reasons we lost that game cant be solved until the summer.

We need a CB in the summer and dominant GK and a winger/wide forward (or two).

Get that recruitment right and we will be top 6 next year.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Perfectly put 

The ref had a big influence on last night's result. Whilst we on top in the first half hour, he gave us no protection on the left side of the pitch. Lawrence was repeatedly fouled without their players getting carded, yet he couldn't get his card out quickly enough for Waghorn. One challenge that went straight through the back of Lawrence was right on the edge of the penalty area and we didn't even get a free kick. Nevermind the handball late in the game. PS. Sorry no paragraphs, my phone is playing up. 

59 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The ref had a big influence on last night's result. Whilst we on top in the first half hour, he gave us no protection on the left side of the pitch. Lawrence was repeatedly fouled without their players getting carded, yet he couldn't get his card out quickly enough for Waghorn. One challenge that went straight through the back of Lawrence was right on the edge of the penalty area and we didn't even get a free kick. Nevermind the handball late in the game. PS. Sorry no paragraphs, my phone is playing up. 

What about the late crunching challenge on Martin, which also wasn't worthy of a FK?

7 hours ago, sage said:

Great succinct analysis

I am going to enjoy the rest of the season regardless of where we finish because despite our defensive shortcomings you can see the energy and desire of youth coming in to play. This recent upturn has shown that we do have players who can move the ball quickly, play those delicious one-twos's that get us all off our seats.

I still hope Jack will find his fitness but even so, Waggy is finding the net, Martin still has it, we have the pocket rocket and an aging maestro. Lots to look forward to. Imagine … Bird continues to improve, Marriott starts firing, Lawrence hits a scoring patch. … This league is great sport !

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

I like the amount of goals in our game now. If you're just as likely to score 5 as concede 5 then at 1) it's fun and 2) you still have belief even when a couple of goals down

Much rather that than tight games where if the opponents scores 2 you have no chance of winning. 

I know open teams are also likely to throw away leads but I prefer the entertainment. 

"Clean sheets get you at least a point" they say. Yeah and with that attitude you'll get points one at a time and bore every fan in the stadium while finishing near the bottom of the league. 

love it GIF

Lets get this into perspective. Before the Swansea match most fans would have settled for 2 points from the next 2 matches, we got 3 so thats a bonus as i see it.

Also maybe i will get called an happy clapper, but we should all bear in mind we support Derby COUNTY and that includes all teams .The academy is surely one of the best in UK and our reputation growing and growing across Europe. My  advice if you dont follow follow the stars of the future,then you should it might stop the slashing your wrist

15 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You should lol at the rest of the team last night. 

The point I was alluding to is I would prefer a player (even Lawrence) who had one bad game in ten as opposed to one who has one good game in ten, hence my scepticism at him hitting a scoring patch when his good games are few and far between in my opinion.

As for lolling at the rest of the team, I think that would be a disservice to at least three players though I do think at least three need a good kick up the arse, preferably physically.  

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

The point I was alluding to is I would prefer a player (even Lawrence) who had one bad game in ten as opposed to one who has one good game in ten, hence my scepticism at him hitting a scoring patch when his good games are few and far between in my opinion.

As for lolling at the rest of the team, I think that would be a disservice to at least three players though I do think at least three need a good kick up the arse, preferably physically.  

My annoyance was changing the back 4 from the team that beat Swansea in the 2 nd half. Ie dropping Davies and Forsyth and bringing Lowe and Bogle back and moving Wisdom back to CB.  

Just now, Curtains said:

My annoyance was changing the back 4 from the team that beat Swansea in the 2 nd half. Ie dropping Davies and Forsyth and bringing Lowe and Bogle back and moving Wisdom back to CB.  

I share that annoyance but just assumed it was for reasons I’m not privy to. 

Archived