v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

Oh Well.....  

I thought we bossed it in midfield but first half we were to slow in trying to whip crosses into the box like we did in the second half which they struggled with.

Our Achilles heal is we really struggle to stop crosses coming in and with Hamer not coming off his line he really leave the CB’s exposed trying to deal with high balls into the box

Didn’t get the rub of the green tonight with the officials but we showed some fight which bodes well IMO

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good performance with some shoddy defending. In this evolutionary period I'd rather take that than a scrappy 0-0. Lots of positives and how good is Bird?!

As for the ref, I can forgive the pen as think you need to be 100% sure to award basically a goal. Much worse was the loads of basic wrong decisions and the continual fouling to stop our forward movement.

Bristol are pretty average but well in the playoff hunt.  If they are still in this division next season, we should be bypassing them.

I'm getting excited for next season which is weird. At this point we are usually on a downward spiral and knowing we'll a) lose in the playoffs if we hang onto them and b) change our manager.

We've already got a new centre back in for next year as Cocu plans to be here. New times.

Why should we be by passing them? They are a better side than us the table doesn't lie, we play better football but that doesn't mean much when you aren't that effective in both boxes, they are the type of team that is efficient like Forest  you don't get points for style of play so lets not assume we have some right to be above them becuase we have much more possession. Yes I expect improvement next season but they could be thinking the exact same, all comes down to recruitment for me becuase if we don't sign a few players who are top quality at this level to supplement what we have such as a new GK and an out and out defender we won't have enough to improve much on this season despite the fact we have some quality. I hope this Dutch CB is a lot better than what we currently have as he will need to be.

6 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Not as simple as that though is it,  if we scored 1st we could have gone on to win as when 1 thing changes the whole game can turn, we didn't get the 1st goal but would have got it if we had some extra quality upfront that is needed for a promotion side which we are hoping to by this time next season. Its all well and good scoring 2 consolation goals once the game is lost, but it is always easier to score goals once a team takes their foot off the gas or gets complacent . Obviously the main problem is our defence, but lets not get it twisted the attack needs improving as well its a team game, now Marriott is unfit /not part of things as much we lack pace.

We've scored 13 goals in our last 4 league games and you're whingeing about our attack?!?

Bogle weak. Wisdom better at right back. Davies to return. 

Djedhiou once again bullied us. It took the mighty Duane Holmes to flatten him. 

The big guys should take a look at themselves. 

I thought we played okay but as usual the tempo was too pedestrian. 

I quite enjoyed the game and my pie was nice. 

I mean, the beers help, but there were just way too many positives from that game for me to be miserable after that game.

We really remind me of Norwich in the first season of Farke there. We're laying the foundations for next season and are slowly becoming a better team. 

Weird to feel so positive after a defeat ?

Hamer - he has lost his place for Saturday and he may not get it back - I couldn’t actually see him in the six yard box on those crosses into our box

bogle - poor defending ok going forward 

wisdom - totally lost his man for the 3rd goal and generous beaten in the air

Clarke - on his own on set pieces 

lowe - very poor at stopping crosses - but better going forward in the 2nd half 

bird - doing very well for a young one 

Rooney- controlled the game 

Holmes - has his good moments 

Waghorn - good goal not a lot else - play him in a 2 up front

martin - we know he doesn’t have the movement but he scores goals but he needs better ball into him and a partner 

Lawrence - he does well to stay on the pitch - one decent cross which we scored from but little help to lowe

officials - fairly dreadful 

championship - again fairly dreadful this season and how are Bristol city in the top 6 

Derby improving but we need much better in goal and two centre half’s 

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree and I actually think Bogle would be better playing in Premier League where he won't get such a mauling on crosses. 

I thought Wisdom had his worst game since his return tonight, he's been pretty solid in all the other games. I would still play him at full back instead of Bogle. Last time I called for it Bogle had his best game of the season against Stoke so here's hoping he comes back equally strong against Huddersfield. 

The commentators on Sky loved the game tonight and it was an exciting watch but I would rather we were a bit more solid at the back and a bit braver offensively.  Lowe turned a poor first half around with his attacking play in the second. We should do more of what we're good at - attacking. To do that, though, we need a defence we can rely on. Work in progress and we didn't get the player in that we wanted in January but it is frustrating when we're like Jekyll and Hyde in the same match.

At least I only have a 30 second journey to bed tonight as I couldn't get any more time off work this week so had to be an armchair supporter - it's much warmer, isn't it? ?

You’re a Fantastic supporter Angie ??????and very good account of the game ...great post 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

We've scored 13 goals in our last 4 league games and you're whingeing about our attack?!?

Lets forget every game we have played this season and base it off the last 4 then, yes we have a decent attack  mainly becuase of Rooney, Bird and Holmes in midfield creating but for me we are lacking 1 player to make that difference like a Benrahma  or Watkins , the players we have upfront are good but not good enough imo, good enough for top 6 but not good enough to win the playoffs or to finish around top 2.  Where is the out and out pace in attack ? It simply isn't there, that's a big part of the reason why we have such a poor away record as we don't counter teams well its all too slow in the build up, big room for improvement in that regard.

Worst refereeing performance I literally have ever seen. Penalty decision was one of his less glaring mistakes, got pretty much every decision incorrect. 

Lots to commend..if only the full backs could stop a cross, the keeper would come off his line and we knew how to mark in the box we would have won easily. 

18 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

I said a few weeks ago when we had the audacity to challenge the EFL about out finances we will get all the worst and dodgy refs from here on in and since that day nothing as changed my mind.

To be fare to the awfull man in the middle from where he was i'd say he couldn't see the handball, But the useless speciman of a linesman could.

Calamitous defending gave them a 3 goal start, Poor really poor no one taking responsability and all over the place, Sunday Morning teams can  marshal their defence better.

67% posession acording to the beeb, Oh well onto Saturday and Huddersfield ☺️

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I thought Max Bird was brilliant again tonight. Really dominant performance from him in the middle, he's growing more and more with every game. Irreplaceable member of the team now. Him and Rooney really controlled the game from the middle of the park. The defending being the obvious glaring weakness of our performance tonight, but that aside there was so many positives you can take. We're getting there. 

Totally agree on Max Bird. Impressive every time he plays   

Loads of positives to take from that performance. The midfield trio of Holmes, Bird and Rooney has a lovely balance to it. The first time in years I feel that we have the blend right. Let’s hope Bird can keep progressing because he was class again. Keep playing in this manner for the rest of the season and next year will look very promising.

Unfortunately the defending was garbage. Wisdom had a shocker. He got pushed away for the 2nd and then lost his man for the 3rd. He has brain freeze moments. He has done well but that was poo today. Full backs also weak defensively today, although Lowe was very good 2nd half. Overall a positive defeat. Onwards and upwards. 

Finally, Cocu was entirely right not to make a sub. We were bossing it, looking the more likely. Why change it for a player who could take 5-10 mins to get up to speed? 

Archived