v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bristol are a poor side - but our defending in the air in the six yard box was woeful as was our stopping of the crosses

positives - we make chances now 

one day we will have a referee who isn’t as bias as this one seemed 

clearest hand ball of the season - or the ref thinks Kenny Everetts playing and its ball to hand . total joke . 

spacer.png

Think one of there goals was offside as well but a tortoise was running the line.

Thats been my biggest bug bear of this season. Mostly Bogle, but the full backs pausing midway through the opposition half and allowing the defenders to catch up, instead of bombing on and getting a cross in is doing my head in. 

Also, Holmes and Bogle early in the second half was ridiculous. Neither making any room for each other, passing backwards and forwards until they hemmed each other in just shows the lack of desire to get into space. At times it looks lazy. 

We looked better though, but conceding 3 is always gonna be a mountain to climb. 

It would be interesting to find out whether the Lampard/Morris departure has had any bearing on our apparent difficulty in securing loanees this season

I have no reason to think that it did, but the lack of Chelsea / prem team loanees contrasts with last season a fair bit.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree and I actually think Bogle would be better playing in Premier League where he won't get such a mauling on crosses. 

I thought Wisdom had his worst game since his return tonight, he's been pretty solid in all the other games. I would still play him at full back instead of Bogle. Last time I called for it Bogle had his best game of the season against Stoke so here's hoping he comes back equally strong against Huddersfield. 

The commentators on Sky loved the game tonight and it was an exciting watch but I would rather we were a bit more solid at the back and a bit braver offensively.  Lowe turned a poor first half around with his attacking play in the second. We should do more of what we're good at - attacking. To do that, though, we need a defence we can rely on. Work in progress and we didn't get the player in that we wanted in January but it is frustrating when we're like Jekyll and Hyde in the same match.

At least I only have a 30 second journey to bed tonight as I couldn't get any more time off work this week so had to be an armchair supporter - it's much warmer, isn't it? ?

My armchair is closer to a decent bar....?

Good performance with some shoddy defending. In this evolutionary period I'd rather take that than a scrappy 0-0. Lots of positives and how good is Bird?!

As for the ref, I can forgive the pen as think you need to be 100% sure to award basically a goal. Much worse was the loads of basic wrong decisions and the continual fouling to stop our forward movement.

Bristol are pretty average but well in the playoff hunt.  If they are still in this division next season, we should be bypassing them.

I'm getting excited for next season which is weird. At this point we are usually on a downward spiral and knowing we'll a) lose in the playoffs if we hang onto them and b) change our manager.

We've already got a new centre back in for next year as Cocu plans to be here. New times.

Disappointing as the result is and as "got to laugh else you'll cry" defending, I do take heart from bringing back 2 goals and keeping going when earlier in the season away from home we just folded.

Overall, still the remaining frustration that we're not a bad team but just need to be fractionally quicker in attack and stop the bungling defense. I do think we're getting better, just wish we'd get there sooner rather than later.

I thought the ref was pretty bad, but the ref didn't let the goals in.

First half hour we were playing lovely, then let in 2.................sigh......................

1 minute ago, DCFC Ram said:

It would be interesting to find out whether the Lampard/Morris departure has had any bearing on our apparent difficulty in securing loanees this season

I have no reason to think that it did, but the lack of Chelsea / prem team loanees contrasts with last season a fair bit.

Probably been mentioned but did Cocu not have any contacts?

I thought Max Bird was brilliant again tonight. Really dominant performance from him in the middle, he's growing more and more with every game. Irreplaceable member of the team now. Him and Rooney really controlled the game from the middle of the park. The defending being the obvious glaring weakness of our performance tonight, but that aside there was so many positives you can take. We're getting there. 

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. We are on an upward trajectory. I was critical earlier in the season because I saw no green shoots of learning from any mistakes but that has changed recently . . . and probably down to the Rooney injection. We need to stop the basic flaws . . . and soon. 

Rooney undoubtedly but I do think Max Bird's inclusion in the side (and great form) has changed the dynamic of the team. Cocu likes possession football, we now have a midfield that is capable of delivering that.

Pleased you're feeling more optimistic about things though. I'm sure there will be plenty of work on set pieces over the next few days!!

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The final third play was not the issue tonight. If you score two goals away from home, you should be getting at least a point. Tonight is all about the defending. 

Not as simple as that though is it,  if we scored 1st we could have gone on to win as when 1 thing changes the whole game can turn, we didn't get the 1st goal but would have got it if we had some extra quality upfront that is needed for a promotion side which we are hoping to by this time next season. Its all well and good scoring 2 consolation goals once the game is lost, but it is always easier to score goals once a team takes their foot off the gas or gets complacent . Obviously the main problem is our defence, but lets not get it twisted the attack needs improving as well its a team game, now Marriott is unfit /not part of things as much we lack pace.

Bit hard to get too despondent about that. A few months ago we’d have lost 5-0, so it’s good to see we had the fight to keep pushing when 3-0 down.

as others have said, with defending like that we’re always going to have a mountain to climb,  but a draw would have probably been a fair result. Oh to be a bit more clinical in the final third and we might have won 4-3!

1 minute ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Not as simple as that though is it,  if we scored 1st we could have gone on to win as when 1 thing changes the whole game can turn, we didn't get the 1st goal but would have got it if we had some extra quality upfront that is needed for a promotion side which we are hoping to by this time next season. Its all well and good scoring 2 consolation goals once the game is lost, but it is always easier to score goals once a team takes their foot off the gas or gets complacent . Obviously the main problem is our defence, but lets not get it twisted the attack needs improving as well its a team game, now Marriott is unfit /not part of things as much we lack pace.

The point is though, if you're solid at the back, it puts less emphasis on needing a ridiculously good attack. The defending tonight asked too much of the attackers. I don't think we're far off, in attack. We've been scoring plenty of goals recently, I think it's knee jerk to blame the attackers from tonight's performance. You can always strengthen, but it's not a priority.

Archived