v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

Bogles positioning when the ball is coming into the box is shocking, he hadn’t got a clue where his man was in the play off final, and lost him for their first goal tonight. Seemed unwilling to get forward and cross it tonight.....needs to lose the gloves.

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest his gloves weren't the issue ?

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hard to take, considering how good we were for periods of that game.

Can't defend as poorly as that though at not expect to concede. Wisdom at fault a lot there and the full-backs weren't good enough on the night.

Yes, we can complain about the penalty, but if you don't concede soft goals things like that won't matter.

Not bringing on subs earlier in the game was odd. Ah well.

We'll get there in the end, folks. 

That must be the most annoying game of the season. The better team no doubt, but we gave them such easy goals. . Ref appaling. We need VAR for what it should be used for - penalty decisions and red cards only.  Marriott should have been on as soon as we got the second in my humble opinion. Think that's any outside chance of the playoffs doomed Mr Mainwaring. Might not be the worst result if Bristol make the playoffs by a couple of points and knock Forest or Leeds out . Look for a positive and all that.

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Great performance if it wasn’t for the awful defending. Why wouldn’t Lowe cross like that in the 1st half, he had numerous opportunities and kept cutting it back and inside. Bird was awesome tonight, what a player 

Agree with this. A lot of good in that performance but wish we were a bit braver in the final third. The amount of space for Bogle and Lowe to run into was crying out for them to get towards the byeline and put a cross in. Until the last 15ish minutes they usually took a touch whilst stopping, resulting in them always cutting back or playing a sidewards or backwards pass. Frustrating! 

2 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Can see the style was much better tonight and some may moan about the result but we played city style football except we can’t defend...players running into space to give short ball options and still got long ball on at times ...I am genuinely pleased to see how we are progressing ...bring in a couple of players who can defend and a keeper who doesn’t give you nightmares and we’ll be a team to be reckoned with ...I thought Bogle was quite poor tonight ...didn’t get past his man didn’t give any decent crosses ( always blocked ) and defended poorly ...but some see him as better than what he actually is ....hope he improves and with a better defence we will be winning these games ...it’s not all doom and gloom ....safe trip home rams fans ??  ?? 

I agree. It's frustrating to come away with nothing, but there's far more to be positive about here than most away performances this season. Both strikers scored and had we not given away silly goals from set pieces we would've won. I was a little disappointed with our attitude after half time though. We were so tentative and basically spent 15 minutes inviting City to increase their lead before their inevitable 3rd woke us up. I think Cocu has told Bogle to be more conservative because sides often get breakaway opportunities against us when Bogle tries and fails to beat his man. I just wish he'd at least try to shift it a yard either way so he isn't smashing every attempted cross into the defender.

Its amazing how when you play sunday league pub football you get absolutely slaughtered when you are a full back for letting a cross get passed you. 

And yet for professionals being paid £250,000 a year or more its just not a priority 

So strange 

You have to look at the positives here.

In November, we’d have lost this game 3-0. And in November, a double header of Swansea and Bristol City away would have yielded 0 points.

You can’t perform as poorly as we did in the first half of the season and hope for the play offs. It takes something remarkable.

But we can see there is something to build on for next season, with a few tweaks here and there.

I think we need a new GK, a new centre back to go with the one we have already signed, a new striker with pace to offer something different unless we are planning on using Whittaker and trialist upfront next season , and also a direct pacey winger who can cross. We should shift out a left back , 1 of our strikers probably Marriott unfortunately due to his lack of fitness ,Jozefoon and 1 of our back up GKS.

If we vastly improve the defence and add pace and trickery upfront we should be very good next season as you can tell the foundations are in place, but we are piss poor at the back and average in the final third so no matter how good our passing play is we will never achieve much if we can't get all aspects right. I have faith now in what we are trying to achieve , but still have no faith in the recruitment team that have created our demise by their shocking signings if it wasn't for the academy we would be in a much worse position.  Hopefully Cocu has some influence in that regard and we have a different team in place identifying targets so we can have a summer where we can get excited, instead of leaving it late and signing a load of crap like last summer.

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Bogles positioning when the ball is coming into the box is shocking, he hadn’t got a clue where his man was in the play off final, and lost him for their first goal tonight. Seemed unwilling to get forward and cross it tonight.....needs to lose the gloves.

Great post there first tonight reminded me of the Wembley goal ...slow to react to ball to back post ...defend like it’s for your life and he makes that at least awkward for there player ...frustrating from full backs at least Lowe looked better going forward 

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

average in the final third so no matter how good are passing play is we will never achieve much if we can't get all aspects right.

The final third play was not the issue tonight. If you score two goals away from home, you should be getting at least a point. Tonight is all about the defending. 

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bristol are a poor side - but our defending in the air in the six yard box was woeful as was our stopping of the crosses

positives - we make chances now 

one day we will have a referee who isn’t as bias as this one seemed 

Not sure about Bristol being poor. Some of their pressing was great, they looked dangerous. They’re in the top 6 for a reason. 

Well Rams what can I say. Thankfully Rooney didn't play 10 yards further forward, he and Bird ran the middle of the park. Some super interplay, but with Martin up top they had no movement to feed. 

Thought we were fortunate with the penalty. 

Would be churlish to thank you for the six points but you've had enough platitudes. See you next season. 

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Shocking defending. I’d go as far as saying we need a new back four all along the back line. It’s great one minute but awful the next. (one of them sorted with the Dutch guy)

Weird decision to leave out Forsyth.

If Bogle can generate cash I would do it. In this division we need height and power as defending set pieces have been our down fall for years.

Anyway must not get too down in the lows and for the same reason too high on the highs. It’s just a reality check for our fans tonight - we’re still a long way away with this team and it needs a number of new players to improve it.

Agree and I actually think Bogle would be better playing in Premier League where he won't get such a mauling on crosses. 

I thought Wisdom had his worst game since his return tonight, he's been pretty solid in all the other games. I would still play him at full back instead of Bogle. Last time I called for it Bogle had his best game of the season against Stoke so here's hoping he comes back equally strong against Huddersfield. 

The commentators on Sky loved the game tonight and it was an exciting watch but I would rather we were a bit more solid at the back and a bit braver offensively.  Lowe turned a poor first half around with his attacking play in the second. We should do more of what we're good at - attacking. To do that, though, we need a defence we can rely on. Work in progress and we didn't get the player in that we wanted in January but it is frustrating when we're like Jekyll and Hyde in the same match.

At least I only have a 30 second journey to bed tonight as I couldn't get any more time off work this week so had to be an armchair supporter - it's much warmer, isn't it? ?

Archived