v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can see the style was much better tonight and some may moan about the result but we played city style football except we can’t defend...players running into space to give short ball options and still got long ball on at times ...I am genuinely pleased to see how we are progressing ...bring in a couple of players who can defend and a keeper who doesn’t give you nightmares and we’ll be a team to be reckoned with ...I thought Bogle was quite poor tonight ...didn’t get past his man didn’t give any decent crosses ( always blocked ) and defended poorly ...but some see him as better than what he actually is ....hope he improves and with a better defence we will be winning these games ...it’s not all doom and gloom ....safe trip home rams fans ??  ?? 

Two thirds of the possession and we lose. Cocu change your approach. Far too caution. What is the point of giving Jack Marriott one minute? 
At least he didn’t send on a defender.

Ref was utterly appalling. He did not want us to win. 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I said at the start of the season my hopes/expectations were a mid table finish with an improving team.

We're gonna be broadly on track for that. I do worry that we need to be able to play without Rooney and our defensive improvement seems very gradual. 

Gradual is very polite, I would be inclined to say the improvement is non-existent defensively , anytime we are put under any pressure we look shocking defensively,

Great performance if it wasn’t for the awful defending. Why wouldn’t Lowe cross like that in the 1st half, he had numerous opportunities and kept cutting it back and inside. Bird was awesome tonight, what a player 

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

What a bizarre game. Take away 10 mins either side of half time & our appalling set piece defending, we actually played well.

Dominated them at times, only criticism being (like Luton) we didnt create that much until that last 25 mins. Bit more cutting edge, massive improvement needed on set pieces & we'll be tough to stop.

Absolutely. We are on an upward trajectory. I was critical earlier in the season because I saw no green shoots of learning from any mistakes but that has changed recently . . . and probably down to the Rooney injection. We need to stop the basic flaws . . . and soon. 

Death, taxes, Derby conceding from crosses. Andre Wisdom had a nightmare. Kept losing his man, really was a shocking performance from him. Lowe and Bogle were not good enough at stopping them putting crosses in. 

We played some good stuff at times, but a lot of it was neat passing without any real edge or threat of going forward. Lovely ball from Lowe for the first, lovely work from Lawrence for the second. 

It's frustrating, because that was such a winnable game. But if you defend like that away from home, you deserve to lose. Te Wierik cannot get here fast enough at the moment. 

Ultimately, it shows us where we are. We can't get ahead of ourselves, this is a mid table season, there was a lot to like out there but we don't have enough to challenge the top 6. Defending has to be a priority to work on now. 

1 minute ago, Yani P said:

Can't get my head around Cocu and subs.. We are 3-0 down.. He makes one.. We get back to 3-2 and he still doesn't bother until the last minute and only uses one.. 

What is it about him.. Surely using subs should be part of a complete game strategy.. Especially with how busy February is.. 

Just makes no sense.. 

The first sub was made when it was 3-2. Clearly he wanted to keep the momentum going with the players who brought it back from 3-0 to 3-2 and when that petered out he brought Marriott on. The subs weren't the issue today, certain players switching off at set-pieces were the problem.

Don't like to use refs as excuses ever. If we had defended well then we'd have got something.

It's not the ref that makes Andre Wisdom go for a stroll when there is defending to do. 

But you know when you need an iffy decision to go your way? A few mistakes in our favour? I don't feel like we've had our fair share of that luck.

Refs can make mistakes. That's cool. But we keep falling on the wrong side of them. 

We didn't do enough things right though which is a bigger reason we lost. Played well for much of the game but some of the errors begged to be punished and were

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Bristol are a poor side - but our defending in the air in the six yard box was woeful as was our stopping of the crosses

positives - we make chances now 

one day we will have a referee who isn’t as bias as this one seemed 

I am not sure about Bristol being a poor side, they are 2 points off automatics. Yes they aren't spectacular but they grind out results which is what you need.

Just now, TexasRam said:

Great performance if it wasn’t for the awful defending. Why wouldn’t Lowe cross like that in the 1st half, he had numerous opportunities and kept cutting it back and inside. Bird was awesome tonight, what a player 

Isn't that some kind of oxymoron...great performance apart from the awful defending 

3 minutes ago, Rambam said:

Two thirds of the possession and we lose. Cocu change your approach. Far too caution. What is the point of giving Jack Marriott one minute? 
pat least he didn’t send on a defender.

Ref was utterly appalling. He did not want us to win. 

He's not supposed to!

Deserved the draw

Didnt get key decisions from the ref all game. Not just the handball but the drag backs when we had momentum weren’t picked up, shirt pulls and clambering by the defenders. 

Saying that three defensively poor goals to concede. Allowing crosses in, ball watching, keeper not commanding enough. Take your pick. 

Overall there was one poor performance too many, Bogle, Lawrence, Waghorn and Wisdom all struggled despite moments of class. But it was there and we did enough to probably get something to come back with. Players need to find their consistency going into the last 10 games of the season 

Archived