v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our defence is still totally porous. We never give ourselves a chance of winning a league game away as we can never keep a clean sheet so are always piling pressure on the rest of the team likewise. Until we start cutting out the silly sloppy goals we'll still struggle to get anything away from home. If you're having to score 3 goals away to win then you're always going to face an uphill battle.  

Gonna be a real, real tough game this one. Brizzle are a proper top drawer side, with quality all over the pitch. One of the best squads in the division for me, and that’s why they’re right up there in the playoff mix. On the face of it, you’d probably take a draw if offered to you right now as a decent result. But they’ve been a bit shaky at home, and we’re in form with hopefully a hugely morale boosting away win under our belts, so we should definitely go into the game optimistic of maybe even scraping the win somehow. I’d make a couple of changes, particularly defensively, so team for me:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies Forsyth

Bird

Whittaker Holmes Rooney Lawrence

Waghorn 

Hamer has proven once again that he’s no less error prone than Roos, but also lacks the distribution qualities of the latter. So again, I think we need to restore our best Goalkeeper. Bogle is a bit lucky to retain his place as it seems he lost his head in the previous game, but we don’t really have any other options. Think we need a change at CB in away games, were shipping far too many goals at the moment and we won’t always get away with it. For games like this where we’re likely to be under the cosh quite a bit, I think we need someone in there with experience who can organise the defence, so Davies comes in for me. Harsh on Clarke, but we need Wisdom in there for his ball playing qualities so there’s little other option. It’s a real shame we couldn’t get a centre back in the January window because we’re still massively lacking there imo, the current set of players aren’t good enough. Finally I’m not convinced Knight has really any effect when he’s played wide and we end up a bit too narrow, so Whittaker comes in for me to finally get his chance to prove himself from the start and hopefully add a bit more pace and width.

Goes without saying that we need to go there and be on it from the first minute, pressing them in and stopping them from playing their game. We also need to not be afraid to play our game as well, playing the calm possession game has served us well in recent games so we need to keep that composed style of play up. A bit like Swansea there’s likely to be a fair amount of pace in their side, so we need to make sure we remain strong in protecting the backline so we don’t become exposed - I imagine Bird will have a busy day, and needs to be make sure his positioning is spot on. That Diedhou or whatever his name is I seem to remember causing us all sorts of problems as an aerial threat in recent games against Bristol, so we need to be well aware of that threat and make sure the CBs win the aerial duels. Other than that, as usual we need to make sure we’re switched on in wide areas to stop and deal with crosses effectively as they’re normally our Achilles heel. Hopefully if we remain defensively strong we can have a chance here!

Absolutely massive game for us in terms of our ambitions to climb the table.  The lads need to regroup and be 100% on it to win, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the Luton game was this teams equivalent of Tranmere 5-1, and we'll have the pre-requisite focus and application to bring the points home.

If we're going to turn my fanciful happy-clapping promotion daydream into reality then winning against those above us in the table is imperative.  In our favour is the fact that Bristol have always been a streaky team as capable of winning four in a row as they are losing four in a row.  With them losing on Friday and having Leeds and West Brom up immediately after us it's not inconceivable that they could indeed lose four on the spin.  The other thing going for us is that after going half a season without an away win, two wins in a week would be peak Derby.

Anyway Wednesday is my birthday, so I'm going to party like it's 2013-14 ??

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Gonna be a real, real tough game this one. Brizzle are a proper top drawer side, with quality all over the pitch. One of the best squads in the division for me, and that’s why they’re right up there in the playoff mix. On the face of it, you’d probably take a draw if offered to you right now as a decent result. But they’ve been a bit shaky at home, and we’re in form with hopefully a hugely morale boosting away win under our belts, so we should definitely go into the game optimistic of maybe even scraping the win somehow. I’d make a couple of changes, particularly defensively, so team for me:

Roos

Bogle Wisdom Davies Forsyth

Bird

Whittaker Holmes Rooney Lawrence

Waghorn 

Hamer has proven once again that he’s no less error prone than Roos, but also lacks the distribution qualities of the latter. So again, I think we need to restore our best Goalkeeper. Bogle is a bit lucky to retain his place as it seems he lost his head in the previous game, but we don’t really have any other options. Think we need a change at CB in away games, were shipping far too many goals at the moment and we won’t always get away with it. For games like this where we’re likely to be under the cosh quite a bit, I think we need someone in there with experience who can organise the defence, so Davies comes in for me. Harsh on Clarke, but we need Wisdom in there for his ball playing qualities so there’s little other option. It’s a real shame we couldn’t get a centre back in the January window because we’re still massively lacking there imo, the current set of players aren’t good enough. Finally I’m not convinced Knight has really any effect when he’s played wide and we end up a bit too narrow, so Whittaker comes in for me to finally get his chance to prove himself from the start and hopefully add a bit more pace and width.

Goes without saying that we need to go there and be on it from the first minute, pressing them in and stopping them from playing their game. We also need to not be afraid to play our game as well, playing the calm possession game has served us well in recent games so we need to keep that composed style of play up. A bit like Swansea there’s likely to be a fair amount of pace in their side, so we need to make sure we remain strong in protecting the backline so we don’t become exposed - I imagine Bird will have a busy day, and needs to be make sure his positioning is spot on. That Diedhou or whatever his name is I seem to remember causing us all sorts of problems as an aerial threat in recent games against Bristol, so we need to be well aware of that threat and make sure the CBs win the aerial duels. Other than that, as usual we need to make sure we’re switched on in wide areas to stop and deal with crosses effectively as they’re normally our Achilles heel. Hopefully if we remain defensively strong we can have a chance here!

I think you overstate the quality of Bristol City TBH, on paper now we have Rooney and Bird playing on form we should see ourselves on similar footing to them, they are 16th based on home form and lack a top striker. They are a decent side but no team in this league right now apart from West Brom, Fulham, Brentford and dare I say Forest is worth paying too much respect, we should take our game to them becuase if we are clinical like yesterday we will beat them. I reckon if we beat them we are firmly in the playoff hunt, I worry about our defence and Roos and Hamer though, if we had addressed that in January we would have a great chance of making the playoffs but probably top 10 is more realistic now. I always see Bristol as a decent side but never quite good enough, always lacking maybe 2 extra top players to take them onto the next level, abit like us past few seasons in a way, we shouldn't fear them.

I would go with the following team:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Malone

Bird

Holmes    Rooney 

Waghorn  Marriott  Lawrence

Malone in for Forsyth is a big call but I feel Malones better attacking play could be crucial if we want to try and play on the front foot and not sit back which never seems to work for us, also Malone and Lawrence have good link up play.  Holmes and Rooney are both nailed on to start, and although Shinnie is a good option , we can't drop Bird after recent performances. Waghorn is more effective on the wing away from home in my opinion as he doesn't have the overall play for lone striker. Its a choice between Martin and Marriott and I would go with Marriott for the counter attacking ability he gives you, but if he is not fit I would start Martin for his hold up and bring Marriott on for the last 20 minutes.

15 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I would go with the following team:

Hamer

Bogle Wisdom Clarke Malone

Bird

Holmes    Rooney 

Waghorn  Marriott  Lawrence

Malone in for Forsyth is a big call but I feel Malones better attacking play could be crucial if we want to try and play on the front foot and not sit back which never seems to work for us, also Malone and Lawrence have good link up play.  Holmes and Rooney are both nailed on to start, and although Shinnie is a good option , we can't drop Bird after recent performances. Waghorn is more effective on the wing away from home in my opinion as he doesn't have the overall play for lone striker. Its a choice between Martin and Marriott and I would go with Marriott for the counter attacking ability he gives you, but if he is not fit I would start Martin for his hold up and bring Marriott on for the last 20 minutes.

Not the fact he’s your fave and your user name ?

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not the fact he’s your fave and your user name ?

No, not been that happy with how he has played this season but the potential is there clearly, if he is fit enough to start he has to start for me, as once he gets a few goals I would expect a run of goals from him.

Just watched the Bris v Brum game.  Couple of things to note, Brizzle have scored more headers than anyone else in the division and on the evidence of the game have difficulty breaking teams down.

So could we see Wisdom, Davies, Clarke and Fozzy in our back line.  I also fancy Bird and Shinnie in front of the back four.

Oh and watch out for Bristol's tactic at corners where almost everyone stands next to and around the opposition keeper.  I predict there'll be a few posters on Wednesday having kittens over this ?

5 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

No, not been that happy with how he has played this season but the potential is there clearly, if he is fit enough to start he has to start for me, as once he gets a few goals I would expect a run of goals from him.

Really hope we win this game as it will give the team a massive vote of confidence but we have got to stop conceding so many goals away from home. Marriott to score the winner as a sub. COYR.

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

So no matter we have two on form strikers in Martin and waghorn , the other has potential,,if Marriott is fit he has to start ??

3 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Hamer

Wisdom      Davies      Clarke     Fozzy

Shinnie       Bird  

Holmes           Rooney (C)        Lawrence 

Waggy  

Subs- Roos, Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Whittaker, Martin, Marriott 

Decent shout that side

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think you overstate the quality of Bristol City TBH, on paper now we have Rooney and Bird playing on form we should see ourselves on similar footing to them, they are 16th based on home form and lack a top striker. They are a decent side but no team in this league right now apart from West Brom, Fulham, Brentford and dare I say Forest is worth paying too much respect, we should take our game to them becuase if we are clinical like yesterday we will beat them. I reckon if we beat them we are firmly in the playoff hunt, I worry about our defence and Roos and Hamer though, if we had addressed that in January we would have a great chance of making the playoffs but probably top 10 is more realistic now. I always see Bristol as a decent side but never quite good enough, always lacking maybe 2 extra top players to take them onto the next level, abit like us past few seasons in a way, we shouldn't fear them.

Yeah I don’t disagree that we should have a chance here. As I say, we should definitely go into the game with the intention of trying to get the win - however it may come. I do feel that if you compare the squads on paper though that Bristols is pretty superior as a whole. We obviously have a few quality individuals like Rooney and Holmes, but Bristol are pretty strong all over the park, particularly so In defence compared to us.

Archived