v Bristol City (A) - Matchday Thread

OohMartWright

Greetings fellow Rams. Three more goals and a hard-fought away win mean that, like the bad penny, I’m back again. 2020 is  becoming the year of the Ram and I’m loving it. Next up is a trip to Brizzle, themselves challenging for a play-off place despite former Ram Andi Weimann heading into his own net last night.

Wednesday 12 February, 7.45pm kickoff.

Can we continue the momentum? Are the play-offs within reach? Do we dare to dream? Your thoughts, please.....

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Brizzle, themselves challenging for a play-off place

As soon as I saw this fixture I thought wow proper 6 pointer! If we win we'll only be 4 points behind them with 14 games left. And they're only outside the play offs on goal difference. 

Got me hopes up dint I?

Then I read the 'Promotion' thread and found out that our season is already over and we're only playing for pride.

This will be another good measure of how the team is progressing under Cocu. Can we put in another battling, competitive performance?

It'd be easy to be lulled into false confidence because Bristol City have an unusually poor home record and we are slowly turning around our away form.

For me, it will still be a difficult game. Bristol City will present problems for us - they have a lot of pace and dynamism in midfield and Diedhiou always seems to be a handful against us too.

Let's see how we stand up to another test. If we win, it's a bonus. All I'm looking for is to see if we approach it in the right way, that's what important for me now. Put the result to one side, let's see another encouraging performance.

1 minute ago, Pastinaak said:

As soon as I saw this fixture I thought wow proper 6 pointer! If we win we'll only be 4 points behind them with 14 games left. And they're only outside the play offs on goal difference. 

Got me hopes up dint I?

Then I read the 'Promotion' thread and found out that our season is already over and we're only playing for pride.

Were playing for the fa cup aren't we?

1 minute ago, Pastinaak said:

Got me hopes up dint I?

I think if it wasn't for the FFP business and a possibility of a points deduction, I think everyone would be quietly perusing the month of May on their calendars.

41 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Got me hopes up dint I?

How this season is panning out who knows where we will be at the end but one thing is for sure we are quite capable of upsetting some teams who have their sights set on promotion/playoff spots

The win at Brizzle City last season made me think we might actually go up. When the chips were down we showed our true strength and won 0-2. I thought I'd remind myself of that game at the end of April: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47994358

1057175645_2019BristolCityaway.thumb.JPG.a67b9b612af3cfc8fd9fb59e89f90bc4.JPG

Wow! Less that 10 months later we are playing with an entirely different team. At this point I'd say there are only 2 guaranteed starters from that last game in Lawrence and Waghorn. Bogle might make it 3. Roos and Malone could take it up to 5. Of the 18 unless Josefzoon is brought in from the cold or Tom Huddlestone springs up off his injury bed, only Jack Marriott will add to those numbers. Just 6 out of 18 players - that is the nature of the revolution being wrought at Derby.

Shinnie and Davies apparently had a good impact on the Swansea win (if the matchthread is to be believed). Do they stay in? After all, Martin had made a big impact in the prior games but was dropped. It's good that Max Bird is seizing his chance and playing well. Lowe's suspension is over. Is Fozzy capable of three games in a week? Will Marriott have a run? Will Sibley become a regular, at least on the bench, before the season's out? Ben Hamer is shortly to drop out because he can't play against his Huddersfield team on Saturday anyway. Does he make way for this, on a ground where Roos kept a clean sheet last season? I was surprised by Cocu today. For Wednesday I think we'll see:

Roos

Bogle     Wisdom     Clarke     Lowe

Bird       Shinnie

Holmes     Rooney     Lawrence

Waghorn

Subs:  Hamer Davies Forsyth Knight Sibley Martin Marriott

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

At the rate the dirtiest are going we could end up taking their place in the top 6.....?

Not something that is too unlikely now, I actually think they will bottle the playoffs now never mind the top 2 and Bucket boy will be gone. Their problem is they have a Bamford called Bamford upfront missing all their chances, if they had a good striker they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now, 2 wins since December 10th is awful, and I thought we were the bottle jobs of this league.

One man can win us this. He is the white Pele. 
I am sure the law of averages will say we will drop points at some stage. I say there is always a team that comes from nowhere and makes the play offs. In form with the best player in the league.
Can you remember when he broke his foot just before the World Cup that we thought Rooney would win us single handed.

7 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Not something that is too unlikely now, I actually think they will bottle the playoffs now never mind the top 2 and Bucket boy will be gone. Their problem is they have a Bamford called Bamford upfront missing all their chances, if they had a good striker they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now, 2 wins since December 10th is awful, and I thought we were the bottle jobs of this league.

Wed have been going some for our Nov-dec form to have been our high point. But best not tempt fate as it's only early Feb....

3 hours ago, Squid said:

gonna be a lot tougher this game

we need to work on our defensive side to get a point

attacking we are the dogs baalocks

but we cant keep switching off at the back

a point will make me a jolly man, i tell ya

Don't worry mate, the script has already been written, same again from Waggy

a free kick from Roo, and an own goal from Benkovic  ?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Cocu start with Davies and then Wisdom at right back?

If not then similar team for me,

Hamer

Bogle    Wisdom   Clarke   Forsyth   

Shinnie    Bird

Waghorn    Lawrence    Holmes

Rooney

Still think Waghorn is better coming in off the wing and Lawrence is better centrally. Rooney and Lawrence can even switch positions during play?!

subs Roos, Lowe, Martin, Marriott, Davies, Knight, Sibley

Archived