Philip Schofield

G STAR RAM

37 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I think its a fair point? 

Either maintain a dignified silence or quietly slip out a joint story they are splitting up. 

Grandstanding on daytime tv must be pretty humiliating for the family and seems a touch selfish. 

I don't really care either way to be honest, I really thought he was out, he seems a decent enough bloke who I liked on Going Live as a kid. Just don't see why its a) a big news story b) something he needs to slightly disingenuously grovel and cringe on TV about.

Neither do I and that's the point I was making. And yes he has always seemed like a decent bloke and anything but 'phoney' so I'll refrain from the cheap shots being taken on this thread on that basis (others, not your own) and the fact I know nothing about his relationship with his wife and what they may or may not have agreed as the best course of action, nor why for that matter.

From the very little I do know, it seems he was being coerced so perhaps this was the path of least resistance and his reasons for being so open about it are to remove any negative leverage. Perhaps he also sees this as a way to shorten any period of hurt for loved ones too, get it said, allow the public their pound of flesh and hopefully put the matter to bed once we all lose interest. The fact is, we don't know, do we?

I also feel that it's not obligatory to have an opinion on other people's' private lives and while there are numerous threads in this section of the forum which show how wonderful and caring many of the DCFC family are, this really isn't one of them. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Neither do I and that's the point I was making. And yes he has always seemed like a decent bloke and anything but 'phoney' so I'll refrain from the cheap shots being taken on this thread on that basis (others, not your own) and the fact I know nothing about his relationship with his wife and what they may or may not have agreed as the best course of action, nor why for that matter.

From the very little I do know, it seems he was being coerced so perhaps this was the path of least resistance and his reasons for being so open about it are to remove any negative leverage. Perhaps he also sees this as a way to shorten any period of hurt for loved ones too, get it said, allow the public their pound of flesh and hopefully put the matter to bed once we all lose interest. The fact is, we don't know, do we?

I also feel that it's not obligatory to have an opinion on other people's' private lives and while there are numerous threads in this section of the forum which show how wonderful and caring many of the DCFC family are, this really isn't one of them. 

Fair points one and all. 

Definitely persuasive and gives me pause for thought. Dare I say.. more illuminating than the picture/gif which I felt was overly sarcastic.

As @RamNut was alluding to, there are serious news stories and here is a middle aged man taking over a tv programme and blubbing because of who he does/doesn't fancy!!

Women in my office were literally in tears over how sad it was and how brave he was. Seriously!!! 

He chose to use his position to manipulate the public and I can't help feeling rather squeamish watching what feels like him throwing his family in front of the bus to save his own career. 

But... admittedly potentially that is partly borne out of irritation at how gullible and lacking in cynicism my colleagues are. 

52 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Fair points one and all. 

Definitely persuasive and gives me pause for thought. Dare I say.. more illuminating than the picture/gif which I felt was overly sarcastic.

As @RamNut was alluding to, there are serious news stories and here is a middle aged man taking over a tv programme and blubbing because of who he does/doesn't fancy!!

Women in my office were literally in tears over how sad it was and how brave he was. Seriously!!! 

He chose to use his position to manipulate the public and I can't help feeling rather squeamish watching what feels like him throwing his family in front of the bus to save his own career. 

But... admittedly potentially that is partly borne out of irritation at how gullible and lacking in cynicism my colleagues are. 

I understand your stance but for the record... No sarcasm at all. I find folk postulating about the private matters of those they've never met tiresome so the gif was absolutely in keeping with my reaction to the the post in question. There is literally no irony implied at all. Also, I tend to give respect where IMO it's due, which is why I've taken time to explain my thoughts to you.

As for people's (the ladies in your office) reactions to the news, why would that bother you? If they were in tears then presumably that's because they found it emotive and upsetting. We can't help how we feel.

As for the manipulation of the public, without any intimate knowledge of his reasoning, I think that's possibly a harsh judgement. And he would not have taken over the show without the consent of his producers. I'd wager, and this is me making assumptions, that he was in fact actively encouraged to do so. I'm hetero but that does not prevent me from understanding that it can take a lot of courage to come out and I think if it was done for disingenuous reasons then it is odd that he has waited so long. It's also worth noting that for many, revealing such things can be a terrifying and traumatic process and one would hope that when public figures come out, it can help make it less so for others in similar situations.

Lastly, I'm not comfortable with the notion he has 'thrown his family under a bus' either though I fully understand that it might have made you feel uncomfortable. Perhaps the open admission was preferred to lurid headlines in the red tops  which I am sure would have hurt his family more. All of this notwithstanding, I don't watch whatever the show in question but I do respect that many folk would prefer not to have to watch celebs undergoing their cathartic processes live on TV. I would however hope that if the individual was someone I cared for, that folk who feel no empathy might at least refrain from being unkind. There are many in the public eye who do far worse without ever incurring the wrath of the general public, after all.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I think its disgusting,  its appalling and he probably should never be on tv again.

Two wine cellars? The man should be locked up.

?

This typifies today's "offended and appalled" audience, and the hell that is social media!  These reports have merely got out of hand, in a Chinese Whispers kind of way...
For a start, whilst yes, he does live in a nice house, the facts are that it is located in a village with two wine sellers.  Totally not the same thing, and it's really nothing to be "disgusted" or "appalled" about!
FWIW, I'd say he is a good old fashioned "ordinary man on the street", who just happens to have done well for himself.
He's no different from you and me.

... well, he's different from me, obviously, but you get what I mean!  ?

Again, very persuasive. Nothing I can disagree with....

Out of interest, how would you view it if it he was bearing his soul on tv except the story was that he had been having an affair with a 20-year old woman? And he was crying saying, 'I just can't resist hot young females' ?

Not saying he has been having an affair but its feels like that could be the reason for his sudden desire to disclose. 

Maybe my lack of sympathy is because I feel there is an element of cynicism in him switching the angle of the story from any indiscretion and using his sexuality to change the narrative.

Obviously that is partly the story...that any indiscretion would be with a man. But I don't think the women in my office  would be crying, they would be saying how pathetic it was that he was chasing young girls and what about his poor wife and kids! I think I just find the hypocrisy irritating and that he exploited it, bugs me too.

32 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

This typifies today's "offended and appalled" audience, and the hell that is social media!  These reports have merely got out of hand, in a Chinese Whispers kind of way...
For a start, whilst yes, he does live in a nice house, the facts are that it is located in a village with two wine sellers.  Totally not the same thing, and it's really nothing to be "disgusted" or "appalled" about!
FWIW, I'd say he is a good old fashioned "ordinary man on the street", who just happens to have done well for himself.

Have you not got a wine cellar? 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah true, and its all well and good having two wine cellars but when its full of blue nun......

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Again, very persuasive. Nothing I can disagree with....

Out of interest, how would you view it if it he was bearing his soul on tv except the story was that he had been having an affair with a 20-year old woman? And he was crying saying, 'I just can't resist hot young females' ?

Not saying he has been having an affair but its feels like that could be the reason for his sudden desire to disclose. 

Maybe my lack of sympathy is because I feel there is an element of cynicism in him switching the angle of the story from any indiscretion and using his sexuality to change the narrative.

Obviously that is partly the story...that any indiscretion would be with a man. But I don't think the women in my office  would be crying, they would be saying how pathetic it was that he was chasing young girls and what about his poor wife and kids! I think I just find the hypocrisy irritating and that he exploited it, bugs me too.

This is a good time to bump the story about old Flavio....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/10322679/flavio-briatore-dating-student-49-years-younger-than-him/

Just because.....

54 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Kind of pathetic how Schofield is all "brave" and "inspirational" when he comes out, but a female actor comes out the same day and gets the piss taken. 

EQMRSMgWsAARBTS?format=jpg&name=large

Let's hope she is in a good place now she has come out

I imagine that if he was openly gay I’m the early 90’s when he did the kids tv broom cupboard then he wouldn’t have got the gig. It was all about poofs and woofers in those days. 
I never honestly gave it a thought if he was gay or straight, much less do I care. I’m just annoyed he’s made himself out to be some kind of hero, I’d much rather he was removed from the screen for a bit, I’m bloody sick of seeing him 

Archived