Philip Schofield

G STAR RAM

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Elton John was married for a while.  it's an attempt to conform and perhaps believe that they can "submerge" their true feelings. 

Very sad if anyone has been upset.  His wife has allegedly known for a long time. 

His wife probably knew before he did. 

I remember my niece coming out, for her it was this really big deal that she’d worked herself up to, and we were all like ‘didn’t you come out a few years ago, I could’ve sworn this was already common knowledge.’

Just now, TigerTedd said:

His wife probably knew before he did. 

I remember my niece coming out, for her it was this really big deal that she’d worked herself up to, and we were all like ‘didn’t you come out a few years ago, I could’ve sworn this was already common knowledge.’

Spot on. Shouldn't be a big deal. Nobody's died or suddenly grown 2 heads. 

Struggling to find the right forum terminology, can't say 'Mrs Coconut' (we're not married, nor shall we be) or 'Miss Coconut' (no, that would be a daughter?), or simply 'my GF' (does her being 13 years older than me (33/46) discount the term girlfriend?) but errm...

Her, that one, her mum (having had 2 kids) had an affair when she was in her late 50's/ early 60's with a woman (they got married and lived together until her partner sadly passed away) and in the past year her adopted daughter (maybe, not sure if it was official!) has also come to the conclusion (at 26) that she also prefers ladies (after a little research into alternative options!) and is now in her first, committed, gay relationship.

I'm happy that it skipped skiped a generation. At the very least it gives me the excuse and some hope that if this relationship ends and she follows the path of her dear mumsy (who just so happens to make the finest chips and egg I've ever tasted), then it was not purely my own failings which turned CocoClaire towards an appreciation for the V, but a pre-destined event based on historical & genetic factors!

I don't know what my overriding point was except for maybe that, hey, it's a confusing world, this is a confusing post, blame Red Leg Vanilla, Ginger & Caramelised Pineapple Rum (oooooh it's bloody lovely).

So this whole thing about Phillip Schofield? Brilliant, good for him, he's a lovely bloke and deserves every piece of positive karma coming in his direction.

Peace out! (wtf?)

22 hours ago, maxjam said:

Never really gave it much thought tbh.  What people do in the privacy of their own homes is up to them, don't get this need to 'come out' and tell everyone.

Kinda feel sorry for his wife (and kids) though, its all being played out in public.  Everyone is saying how brave he is but she must be distaught - if for no other reason than (assuming shes the same age as him) shes approaching 60 and rather than looking forwards to spending her pensionable years with the bloke shes been maried to for 25+ years, she's looking at a divorce.

I think it's slightly different with people in the public eye. Sure they could just get on with their lives, but the moment they go out in public with their new partner the tabloids will be all over it.

I feel sorry for his wife too though. It must be dreadful to suddenly be told that you've been living a lie for so many years. It's not that I particularly think he should've done anything differently, we all make mistakes and hurt people when we don't mean to, but I don't think anyone should be gushing about his bravery. His wife is the brave one for being supportive and not having a meltdown.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I feel sorry for his wife too though. It must be dreadful to suddenly be told that you've been living a lie for so many years. 

See this is what I don't quite get. Did he not love his wife, and children? So he fancies blokes, so what. Isn't it just another divorce situation?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

See this is what I don't quite get. Did he not love his wife, and children? So he fancies blokes, so what. Isn't it just another divorce situation?

I was thinking the same. Essentially he's saying he wants a divorce and playing the gay card as a get out of jail free. That's the most uncharitable interpretation. If I were being charitable I'd suggest that the social stigma around being gay may have caused him to suppress his feelings previously. I wouldn't find much solace in that if I were his wife though.

I find his public performance somewhat distasteful.

people change. Even 15-20 years is a long enough time for a couple to become two very different people to the two who originally committed themselves to one another for all time. But if it does all fall apart - and it often does - then sort it out privately. It seems selfish and narcissistic to act out this grand crisis between ad breaks on national television, whilst leaving others to deal with the additional humiliation and pain which that undoubtedly creates. I can’t say that I’ve ever liked him. There is a touch of the Kilroy-silks about him. Phoney.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I find his public performance somewhat distasteful.

people change. Even 15-20 years is a long enough time for a couple to become two very different people to the two who originally committed themselves to one another for all time. But if it does all fall apart - and it often does - then sort it out privately. It seems selfish and narcissistic to act out this grand crisis between ad breaks on national television, whilst leaving others to deal with the additional humiliation and pain which that undoubtedly creates. I can’t say that I’ve ever liked him. There is a touch of the Kilroy-silks about him. Phoney.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

giphy.gif

I think its a fair point? 

Either maintain a dignified silence or quietly slip out a joint story they are splitting up. 

Grandstanding on daytime tv must be pretty humiliating for the family and seems a touch selfish. 

I don't really care either way to be honest, I really thought he was out, he seems a decent enough bloke who I liked on Going Live as a kid. Just don't see why its a) a big news story b) something he needs to slightly disingenuously grovel and cringe on TV about.

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I think its a fair point? 

Either maintain a dignified silence or quietly slip out a joint story they are splitting up. 

Grandstanding on daytime tv must be pretty humiliating for the family and seems a touch selfish. 

I don't really care either way to be honest, I really thought he was out, he seems a decent enough bloke who I liked on Going Live as a kid. Just don't see why its a) a big news story b) something he needs to slightly disingenuously grovel and cringe on TV about.

It is extremely self indulgent to believe that the announcement is worthy of being broken live on national daytime television given that we've had live news feeds in the same week of terrorist attacks in London - it's not even in the same ball park 

25 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I agree. But having allowed myself to follow the gossip linking him to the 'tv runner' there's some interesting points made. He's got a £2m/yr contract with ITV plus other income streams, he's got some nice expensive property (one with two wine cellars!) - a lot to lose in a divorce, so much easier to 'stay friends'? But then to have the potential threat of being 'outed' as living a lie, well that puts lots of that at risk perhaps? So a pre-emptive strike stressing the personal struggle he's had and the supportive understanding family...seems a much better (media) way to go (even if forced!)?

I think its disgusting,  its appalling and he probably should never be on tv again.

Two wine cellars? The man should be locked up.

?

Archived