Cocu nominated for January Manager of the Month

Sean

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doubt he’ll win, suspect Lamouchi or Johnson will get it. Hope he doesn’t anyway, what with the curse that so often seems to follow it!

Good to see him acknowledged with a nomination though. Shows he’s doing something right, and hopefully he’s well on the way now to turning things around here, and proving the doubters like me wrong. It’s been a quietly very good month for us, especially at home, and a big improvement on the run of form heading into Christmas. Cocu absolutely deserves this recognition. 

we are so lucky to have ol’ Phil as our manager.

All the poo thats happened this season, from lampostgate, to the EFL charge, losing his captain, and many more issues, he’s been dealt an awful hand since he’s come in and he has dealt with it with class, professionalism, and loyalty.

I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.

Phil deserves recognition for everything he has had to deal with and has dealt with correctly, although the curse of the manager of the month means I don’t want him to get this, he deserves something!

1 hour ago, Squid said:

we are so lucky to have ol’ Phil as our manager.

All the poo thats happened this season, from lampostgate, to the EFL charge, losing his captain, and many more issues, he’s been dealt an awful hand since he’s come in and he has dealt with it with class, professionalism, and loyalty.

I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.

Phil deserves recognition for everything he has had to deal with and has dealt with correctly, although the curse of the manager of the month means I don’t want him to get this, he deserves something!

You wonder what a manager and his coaches actually do. What I've found interesting in the talk around Cocu and his staff is that they do a lot more individual work with players than other managers. I like this in that, in terms of the stats, there's actually very little between a weak player and a strong player in a division and if Cocu can take the hand he's been dealt and, over time, turn them into better players, that's a massive boost for the team.

Is that what we're seeing the benefit of recently? Maybe, but I also think the arrival of Rooney has had massive impact. But as has been said by our resident cephalopod, our Phil definitely deserves something to go his way.

It’s difficult to get too over excited just yet. Frank was a tough act to follow in that he seemed to be a good motivator and have a good relationship with the fans and players. Many were his signings or players he had promoted to the first team. In contrast Phil seems somewhat diffident and indecisive. Hopefully things are settling down and he is beginning to identify his preferred team and formation. But it’s hard to tell. 

Obviously the season has been a disaster off the pitch and the full impact of the mis-management is yet to be felt. On the plus side the performance level has improved, and we have scored a few goals recently. Rooney’s passing has made a difference in recent games, and it’s good to finally see a transfer target which would seem to be Cocu’s choice rather than another ‘find’ presented to him. 

half the team could change again next season and he may face further unpleasant challenges if the better players are sold. This season is a free hit, and the last couple of results have lifted the mood but we are only half way through the poo-storm that is coming.  He has certainly kept calm and retained his dignity through everything, but ultimately whether it’s fair or unfair, he will be expected to get us up the league and into the top six.

His immediate challenge is to transform the away form.

Archived