NTT20 Interview with Nigel Clough

IlsonDerby

On 06/02/2020 at 11:47, Van Wolfie said:

there's a reason he's been marooned at Burton ever since

Harsh - "marooned" makes it sound like he wants to get out but can't. I think he's very happy there. The chairman there, Ben Robinson is a very good friend of his and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there for a long, long time. 

You don't get many managers these days who place loyalty over ambition (cough...Frank...cough)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Harsh - "marooned" makes it sound like he wants to get out but can't. I think he's very happy there. The chairman there, Ben Robinson is a very good friend of his and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there for a long, long time. 

You don't get many managers these days who place loyalty over ambition (cough...Frank...cough)

Bit like messi being marooned at Barcelona 

11 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

He literally says in the podcast that he’d be open to leaving, applies for other jobs and doesn’t get interviews and wants one more go at getting into The Premier League. 

I always liked that he turned down Fawaz when he tried to get him to go to Forest.

I think. rivalries aside, it's fair enough to say Nigel would deeply love to manage Forest at some point and to say "No, I'm not going to put my name to the utter fecal exhibition you've made of notts forest" took a degree of integrity most in the game wouldn't spend a heartbeat considering. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I always liked that he turned down Fawaz when he tried to get him to go to Forest.

I think. rivalries aside, it's fair enough to say Nigel would deeply love to manage Forest at some point and to say "No, I'm not going to put my name to the utter fecal exhibition you've made of notts forest" took a degree of integrity most in the game wouldn't spend a heartbeat considering. 

I think you found out the strength and achilles heel of him with the integrity...

For that, I like him. And for the same reason, he should've done better. All the years he spend with us, I still couldn't make my mind up.

Tells it story as such.  

12 hours ago, cannable said:

He literally says in the podcast that he’d be open to leaving, applies for other jobs and doesn’t get interviews and wants one more go at getting into The Premier League. 

Really? OK - I didn't listen to it (obviously!) but that surprises me. I know Ben Robinson was very supportive of him going to Derby when it happened, and I'm sure would support him if he did get a move, but you wonder how much of the comment you quote is true and not just what he thinks he should be saying so that he doesn't come across as totally unambitious

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/02/2020 at 15:52, Needlesh said:

Well, it seems unlikely that the famously frugal Nigel Clough would bankrupt me to be honest, but in that case I'd sell. Obviously.

Agents and players would bankrupt you.Ask Mel he knows all about swimming with sharks.He has shared 75% of his fortune with them.Soft chap.

Archived