Is Tom Huddlestone invisible ? (In Wayne Rooney’s shadow) !

Ram8

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Crystal Palace away?

Horses for courses I'd say.

Yeah, and it is more suited to Premier League opposition I'd say. The Championship is more frantic and faster paced, and as such I much prefer Max Bird's energy alongside Rooney. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on this is that Rooney will play whenever he is fit and, like has been said, both him and THudd aren't a mobile enough pairing for the Championship. Also, Bird is the future not THudd so I'd prefer Bird to be playing with Rooney as much as possible. Rooney is far more productive with the ball than THudd who tends to give it straight back to the centre backs/keeper without looking up. Even Bird against Stoke was looking to get the ball forward at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

So, to summarise the gist of this thread, Tom Huddlestone's a good player but Wayne Rooney is even better?

The world of football's understood that since about 2005.

Although to be fair, the comparison is now more valid in that they’re playing a similar role. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Huddlestone is just worse all around than Rooney. You can't really get away with playing them both together, and Hudds can't stay fit at the moment. Rooney is the way forward.

Against Crystal Palace they both played and Crystal Palace couldn’t get the ball at their own ground but hey they are only a mid table premiership side 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Against Crystal Palace they both played and Crystal Palace couldn’t get the ball at their own ground but hey they are only a mid table premiership side 

Palace completely stood off them though. They had the freedom of Selhurst Park to just spray passes at will.

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

So what? Premier League and Championship standard football is very different, if you can't agree with that you're ignorant. 

20 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Rooney played exceptionally well yesterday, and in the previous Stoke match, controlling midfield with flair and authority. 

However, Huddlestone does exactly the same every time he plays, but does he get the praise that Rooney gets ? No .. more than half on this forum point out how slow he is, “turns like an oil tanker”, etc. ..

We are lucky enough to have both of them, and I believe the ‘dream team’ is to play them both together. A Derby team with both, plus Duane Holmes, Chris Martin and some of the promising youngsters would just ooze class, and potentially achieve that play off success that has eluded us thus far. 

Their passing range is comparable but that's about it. 

Huddlestones passes are usually from the edge of his own area and get attacks started. 

Rooney is beginning to affect games further up the field and this is being reflected in the amount of goals we are now scoring.

I dont think Championship matches can accommodate both players in the team.

Just now, RamNut said:

Tom is.....slow, safe, deep, can’t tackle, can’t shoot, and can’t take a set piece for some reason.

other than that I like him.

Add to that, he can't move.

At this point, Rooney is vastly superior in every single facet. His range of passing is just as good, but he puts more pace on the ball, he moves it quicker and it's more decisive. He's more aggressive and his tackling his better. He's more of a leader and organiser, and he hits better dead balls. As someone else joked, this is nothing new, Rooney has always been superior, just he's better at Tom's own game than Tom is now.

Even then, Bird needs to be alongside ideally. Shinnie, I suppose, could be a second choice alongside too.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

For a different comparison...

I believe that 2015/16 George Thorne (post ACL, pre leg break) was a better player than 2015/16 Tom Huddlestone.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Probably; but 2015/16 Tom Huddlestone isn't much different to current Tom Huddlestone. He's not declined much since his 2nd year at Hull. He declined to a similar level he's at now very early on (like 8ish years ago); all that's happens now is he gets slower every year.

Thorne was the best midfielder in the league in two seasons; on loan pre-ACL and 2015-16 pre leg break. He may well have recovered from the leg break properly too had Mac not rushed him back but that's a topic that's been brought on at length. Huddlestone has never been that.

Rooney is definitely in that discussion based on his first month of football.

Archived