Lack of goals

MackworthRamIsGod

Seems to be a thing of the past thankfully for the minute. Not only are we scoring goals we are creating numerous chances and scoring some good goals. Nice to see us scoring from set pieces also.

It's much easier enjoying the footy when the strikers put away their chances.

I now have this mindset again that we can beat anyone, roll on Saturday.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We have stopped giving the ball away easily in midfield ( Rooney) and we have a centre forward playing who plays for others and controls the football ( Martin ) 

does that cover it ?

Exactly this. If we could just cut out sloppy goals we might be onto something. It also is no coincidence that Martin has been brought back in the last two games and we’ve looked more dangerous. Not a long term solution but will do for now. 

Only two teams have less goals for than us yet 11 have conceded more. This points to two things : Our defence is not as bad as some make out (basically average). If you rate entertainment in terms of goals then we are not good value.

For all the euphoria over two high scoring wins against poor opposition,  a better measure will come at Swansea. a team with very similar scoring, for and against as us.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Can we answer this after the Swansea and Bristol games? If we can get 4 points from these two games, I would start to think we've turned a corner.

Looking at our squad, there's no reason we can't put a really good winning run together. 

Swansea and Bristol will be a reality check in all honesty. I'd love to genuinely believe we've turned a corner but we look completely different away from home.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We have stopped giving the ball away easily in midfield ( Rooney) and we have a centre forward playing who plays for others and controls the football ( Martin ) 

does that cover it ?

Movement from the midfield helps as well instead of having a bunch of statues calling for the ball!

We definitely seemed to have improved our attacking threat in recent weeks. In certain games this season we’ve only had 1/2 shots on target (occasionally not even that!) but last night we had 11. Now I’m not saying that shots on target is a particular good measure of attacking effectiveness because it isn’t always, however when you’ve got stats quite that stark I think it’s clear something must have changed.

Think anyone who’s been to the games the past few weeks will probably tell you that in the main we’ve been able to carve open the opposition defence far more often than we have been able to earlier in the season. That has lead to us creating chances of a far higher quality than the pot luck half chances we’ve mainly been working with. We owe a lot to the introduction of Rooney to the team of course, in terms of his leadership and ability as a creative force, but I also think the change has been a lot to do with an improvement in our playing out from the back. The last couple of games in particular we’ve been much better at beating the press, which has left the opposition vulnerable to us breaking through at pace. With players like Holmes and Rooney to hit the through balls, that’s where most of our chances are coming from. 

Have to be wary of course however, that this “improvement” has only come in a few games against family poor quality opposition. It’s quite possible that this has been a fluke run and we will revert to our impotent worst yet. I hope not, but until we’ve proven we’ve consistently improved, we have to exercise caution. Crucially, all our good play has only really come at home. We still don’t look hugely effective away from Home yet despite a bit of an increase in goals scored, so we need to really focus on picking up those away wins before we get too excited.

39 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Swansea and Bristol will be a reality check in all honesty. I'd love to genuinely believe we've turned a corner but we look completely different away from home.

You're so right, but I am hopeful.

Generally, teams towards the top end of the table try to play their own game, rather than set out to stifle the opposition's game. I am optimistic we'll be able to play our game to some extend and therefore get scoring opportunities in both those games. Just depends if we take them.

Another 4 goals and could have been more. This is more like it. It seems like the management team are beginning to understand what football is like in the football league. Attacking, creating chances and having shots at goal. Not much else matters in order to compete for the top 6 in the football league. 

Up until recently, our football has been far too safe and pedestrian. The only notable exception being Preston at home. We keep this up and perception of our capability will change considerably. An in form Rooney, Martin, Waghorn, Marriott and Lawrence is one of the best attacking/goal scoring groups in the league.  Collectively capable of scoring more goals than most teams in this league. 

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

All I can say is that I will be at the Bristol game and as a Bristol boy refuse to countenance anything other than a crushing victory for the Rams. 

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

Another 4 goals and could have been more. This is more like it. It seems like the management team are beginning to understand what football is like in the football league. Attacking, creating chances and having shots at goal. Not much else matters in order to compete for the top 6 in the football league. 

Up until recently, our football has been far too safe and pedestrian. The only notable exception being Preston at home. We keep this up and perception of our capability will change considerably. An in form Rooney, Martin, Waghorn, Marriott and Lawrence is one of the best attacking/goal scoring groups in the league.  Collectively capable of scoring more goals than most teams in this league. 

No, it's the exact opposite, the players are now implementing what the staff have been asking them to do. A huge reason for this is Wayne Rooney in midfield and in the other players ears. I said all along the problem is not the staff it's the players.... The penny I believe has dropped and they are getting there. Just impliment the instructions given away from home coupled with one or two additions in the summer and we could be flying next season. 

6 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

No, it's the exact opposite, the players are now implementing what the staff have been asking them to do. A huge reason for this is Wayne Rooney in midfield and in the other players ears. I said all along the problem is not the staff it's the players.... The penny I believe has dropped and they are getting there. Just impliment the instructions given away from home coupled with one or two additions in the summer and we could be flying next season. 

So it's taken half a year for this side to listen to the management and attack, creat more chances and have shots at goal? Sorry but that's complete rubbish. 

1 minute ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

No, not listen, impliment. Rubbish yourself 

The biggest variable is the manager who hasn't played or managed in England. This squad is full of experienced players. The only difference now is attacking more, creating chances and shots at goal. Nothing else has changed. So my understanding is that you think these players were not implementing this and now are?

It doesn't take 6 months to implement this. From a bunch of players that have done it previously. It happens instantaneously if you request it.

I think you're on to something with Rooney though. I'd imagine he's had more than one tough word about our lack of threat. 5 goals in 8 before he started playing for us and 16 in 8 since his first game. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Now I’m not saying that shots on target is a particular good measure of attacking effectiveness

Some of the stuff on this forum is hilarious, but this is coming close to the best one I’ve read ?????

56 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

A very neat swerve to avoid the  effects of changes in team selection and formation. ?   You must have seen that there is a difference between playing Waghorn alone up front and playing Martin up front , with Waghorn down the right.

Archived