Six Nations 2020

WhiteHorseRam

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately for me I cant see England playing so poorly again next week in Edinburgh.

It all looked a bit 1 dimensional today, and I thought the French still looked a bit flaky. Dupont is some player, ran the show like Faf did in the final. 

Adam Hastings had a decent enough game yesterday but Id prefer Finn and Gregor to kiss and make up before Saturday. However, I don't think our pack is strong enough to turn over enough ball, or keep hold of the ball in an arm wrestle. 

The Irish were very 'streetwise'. With my blue tinted specs on I thought they played for their 2 penalties they got for obstruction. 

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Unfortunately for me I cant see England playing so poorly again next week in Edinburgh.

It all looked a bit 1 dimensional today, and I thought the French still looked a bit flaky. Dupont is some player, ran the show like Faf did in the final. 

Adam Hastings had a decent enough game yesterday but Id prefer Finn and Gregor to kiss and make up before Saturday. However, I don't think our pack is strong enough to turn over enough ball, or keep hold of the ball in an arm wrestle. 

The Irish were very 'streetwise'. With my blue tinted specs on I thought they played for their 2 penalties they got for obstruction. 

Agree with all of that. Way better than I feared, but. Didn’t play the ref in Dublin and Owen Farrell can’t be as bad again. That said. Enjoyed Headingley much more.

16 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Desperate stuff really. If it weren't for some inspired poaching by May the score would have been embarrassing. 

Created nothing - why are our scrum halves seemingly so slow and indecisive? And if we don't have a big lump charging up the middle then we don't seem to have a clue. 

May the only person who seemed to have remembered how to play rugby. I have to say I have no confidence in Farrell as captain - we have a problem and there is seemingly no leadership response on the pitch.

Not really expecting anything from England this 6N. We seem to hit the skids every 6N after a RWC year and judging by our performance against France, this year will be no different. In truth I've struggled to raise much enthusiasm for the competition this year too which is unusual for me, so perhaps it's not just the team who are dealing with a hangover form their failure to convert a golden opportunity in Japan?

For my money, Eddie Jones has once again not really covered himself in glory too. All the chippy bragging merely serves to create a siege mentality for every team we play and what the logic of playing Curry at 8 was, god only knows.

In fairness, he's not been helped by injuries again; Mako and Billy Vunipola, Manu Tuilagi and Anthony Watson are all big misses for this match up but every side has to manage such things and for me, more of a concerns is the fact that his team selections are becoming a increasingly idiosyncratic once again. We seemed to revert to type tactically against France with too much 9 man rugby and far too many aimless kicks. On the rare occasions we put the ball through hands without dropping it, we looked dangerous and out wide we have plenty to threaten any team if we choose to. That's a big if for me right now however and I wonder whether extending Eddie's contract is really what English rugby needs right now. We shall see...

As for Scotland, I thought they played well against the Irish, but brainfarts from their skipper and an inability to convert field position to points were their undoing. I think Townsend needs some success in this 6N and the Scots do have the required talent in their side to trouble teams, but they simply must execute better than they did against a fortunate Irish side or they will once again flatter to deceive.

On a side note, I was sad to see Vern Cotter leave the position as it seemed to me that he'd restored some pride to the Scottish side and there were some marked improvements in their game - wins against Wales and Ireland in his last season were testament to the progress made and I wonder if the haste to install their favourite son in his position might be rued a little by now.

I'll be looking to drum up some enthusiasm for the whole thing, with a few small wagers and fair amount of ale. I can't see Ireland as 4 point favourites and in a toss up, I slightly favour England to squeeze past the Scots in a very tight game. 

Ireland vs Wales

• Wales + 4 to beat Ireland
  • First try scorer - Josh Adams

Scotland vs England

• Under 4.5 tries
  • England to win by 1-7 points
  • First tryscorer - Jonny May

Enjoy the games lads ?

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As for Scotland, I thought they played well against the Irish, but brainfarts from their skipper and an inability to convert field position to points were their undoing. I think Townsend needs some success in this 6N and the Scots do have the required talent in their side to trouble teams, but they simply must execute better than they did against a fortunate Irish side or they will once again flatter to deceive.

On a side note, I was sad to see Vern Cotter leave the position as it seemed to me that he'd restored some pride to the Scottish side and there were some marked improvements in their game - wins against Wales and Ireland in his last season were testament to the progress made and I wonder if the haste to install their favourite son in his position might be rued a little by now.

Pretty much spot on about Cotter and Townsend. I think he had 1 year left on his contract and the SRU were petrified Gregor was going to France and not be able to appoint him for another 4 years. 

It'll end up a comfortable win for the maypole dancers ? and the Townsend v Russell conversation will ramp up next week. 

Archived