What now?

Jourdan

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

January is in the books and the squad is largely unchanged, so Cocu has to work with what he has got until the summer.

After last night’s massive win, where does that leave people’s expectations for the rest of the season?

Obviously the outcome of the FFP case leaves us with a lot of uncertainty off the pitch, but we can still control what happens on it.

What would you like to see in the remaining 16 games?

For me:

1. Continue playing Clarke, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight and Holmes. It’s refreshing to watch this team and so many young players making their mark.

2. Stick with Wisdom at CB and see if he can make the position his own. Under the strain of FFP, we have to make the most of existing resources and look for solutions from within.

3. Give Chris Martin as much game time as possible. He’s still our best striker and deserves the chance to earn a new contract.

4. Take up Forsyth’s one year option - he’s a model pro, a team player and provides competition for places with Lowe.

5. Scout abroad. Te Wierik is a start. But let’s see even more imagination in the transfer market, especially as we are on a tight, ever shrinking budget. Top players in Leagues 1 and 2 are going for millions, so we have to think outside of the box more than ever.

6. Look to convince Matt Clarke and Brighton to extend his loan. He’s had a solid year with us and with more and more experience at this level under his belt, he can only go from strength to strength.

7. Re-introduce Roos as first choice goalkeeper. Much like with Wisdom, we have to make the most of our resources.

8. Positive football. I repeat, positive football.

9. Improve the away form. With nine games left, let’s see some improvement. More points picked up, more battling and cohesive performances, more positive intent. Win or lose, let the fans take heart from what they are seeing.

10. Lay down a marker for next season with a strong finish. The threat of a points deduction makes a final position hard to nail down, and in any case the play-offs are surely a bridge too far.

But on average, we are winning 5 games in 15. It’d be great to see us improve on that and win 6-8 games between now and May and ruffle some feathers (who knows we get on a roll and it could be more). It’s all about carrying some momentum into next season.

And yes, it has to be said that if we see more of what we saw last night, Cocu will be converting those pesky doubters like myself in no time at all.

Great post. One thing for me: Cocu has to stop meddling with the team. Get a settled side with a strong spine - Wisdom at CB, Rooney, and Martin - and we will put a run together. No pointless rotation and silly tactical switches in response to how Brentford or Swansea may line up. Impose our game on them . . . 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

I agree. Roos isn’t ready. He needs a season out on loan. We need a solid stopper and I thing Hamer is definitely good enough for the Championship. He’s out of contract at the end of the season isn’t he?

Yes I think he is and as long as he’s not on big wages I have no problem with him between the sticks.

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe he can develop given the manager’s full backing?

And well like I said, the finances are tight, so surely it’s better to use what limited funds we do have to address other parts of the squad, like signing a genuine winger?

I think we have to accept Roos has a major problem commanding his area and no amount of coaching is going to change that anytime soon.

Archived